16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Nice English 16ga light weight game gun
MCHunter
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:59 am  Reply with quote

If I didn't have too many light weight game guns as it is I'd be all over this like stink on manure.

I don't believe I have ever seen a Hinton with 100% engraving. The barrels will decide if it's a good buy or not.

Pooch has a Hinton, maybe he'll offer his opinion.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=72577134

1928 A. H. Fox CE 16ga.
IFL16's
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:21 am  Reply with quote

The same gun can be had here http://www.gunsamerica.com:80/guns/976886719.htm?wl=1 for 2995.00.

Buyer beware. Seller could sell ice cubes to an Eskimo and isn't above fudging on stock measurements to make it appear more shooter friendly.

Larry
MCHunter
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:50 am  Reply with quote

I think it's understood that due-diligence it a matter of course. Have you been on the wrong side of a sale with this guy? FWIW, I have absolutely no idea who he is.

1928 A. H. Fox CE 16ga.
IFL16's
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:44 am  Reply with quote

Yes I've dealt with him in the past. Bought my first old SxS from him after he spent an hour on the phone trying to convince me how accurately he portrays his guns. When the stock dimensions were way off what he quoted me he tried to tell me he must have had it mixed up with another gun. I put some mole skin on the comb to see how that would work and when I tried to take it off the old finish came off with it. All he could do is laugh at his good fortune cause I had told him it was coming back.

Other people over the years have told me he has not disclosed things like barrel re blues and other refinishing things. He doesn't say they are all original but he doesn't offer either which is exactly the opposite he told me about total disclosure.

Anyway he does come up with some good guns now and then. Just be sure to be as specific as possible when asking questions so he has no excuses.

Larry
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:36 pm  Reply with quote

Nice looking gun; good buy IF you get the right answers to your questions.

I owned a Hinton SLE 12ga. Pretty nice gun. Hinton and Needham patented one of the first practical ejector systems.
MCHunter
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:13 pm  Reply with quote

IFL16ga,

It is getting real hard to find gun dealers you can completely trust these days. That's the only reason I own bore gauges and micrometers.

Larry,

Speaking of patents, is there a hard-back available with all the English and or American gun patents with illustrations? Could you tell the action patent by pin placements? I picked up a paper back proof book but it's basically useless, which is your favorite?

1928 A. H. Fox CE 16ga.
M D Christian
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:59 am  Reply with quote

I think it will be a good buy if it goes for about $2,400. MDC
budrichard
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:04 am  Reply with quote

I have NEVER found a gun dealer I could completely trust. Some are more trustworthy than others but that is the nature of the trade. Some are knowingly deceitful but many view the gun as a commodity, get it in the shop, get it out of the shop and they just don't bother to check the gun completely.
As mentioned, if you don't have a COMPLETE set of tools for measuring choke, chamber length etc, you are at the mercy of the trade.
I never do business with any type of gun auction. It's just not worth the time, effort and aggravation to wade through the junk being sold.
A reputable dealer with an iron clad 3-day inspection/return policy is the only way. -Dick
IFL16's
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:31 am  Reply with quote

Dick, Brian Perazone in New York is a gunsmith who I would trust buying a gun from again. He's got a complete set of tools and will tell you anything you want to know about a gun he is selling.

But this Jay Shachter guy is just a salesman (read that is not hindered or limited to objective facts) who holds one of those curios licenses. For someone with no FFL and not in the business he manages to sell a lot of guns.

When I ran into him I had just gotten into looking at old guns and didn't know a thing. The gun he sold me was a 16 gauge Ithaca Flues which he told me could shoot any factory load. Fortunately I found the Double Gun Bulletin Board and was put straight before I could abuse it any further. I even sent him a link to the discussion and he still insisted it was perfectly safe to shoot anything being offered.

The problem is he does come up with some interesting guns for sale. He takes Visa but that goes through his remodeling company. A lot of gray areas with this guy.

Larry
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:09 am  Reply with quote

MCHunter wrote:
IFL16ga,

It is getting real hard to find gun dealers you can completely trust these days. That's the only reason I own bore gauges and micrometers.

Larry,

Speaking of patents, is there a hard-back available with all the English and or American gun patents with illustrations? Could you tell the action patent by pin placements? I picked up a paper back proof book but it's basically useless, which is your favorite?

I don't know of a book covering American and English gun patents. Some guns, you can tell the action by pin (or screw) placement, but it can be pretty hard. For example, I thought I knew how to tell a Webley Screw Grip just by looking at photos, but I discovered the only way to do so for sure is to look at the slot in the standing breech, through which you can see threads (or not) on the spindle.

Proof . . . if you're talking the Wirnsberger book, I have that too and it's OK, but far from the best. But I don't know of a really good book available on the subject. I have an old "Gun Digest Treasury" with Baron Engelhardt's articles on proof. That and the series of articles Lee Kennett did for Gun Digest back in the 70's are the best and most complete sources I know of. Somebody does need to do a complete, updated book.
britgun
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:30 am  Reply with quote

....I had a couple Hintons at the shop, they were nice stout guns (Birmingham actions) and seemed well finished out by Hinton, as good as anybody else did it....

brit

M D Christian
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:40 pm  Reply with quote

Britgun: I didn't think he would realize his "Buy Now" price, but I thought bids would go a little higher than they did.. What do you think is a fair price for the piece,, MDC
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:55 pm  Reply with quote

budrichard wrote:
I have NEVER found a gun dealer I could completely trust. Some are more trustworthy than others but that is the nature of the trade. Some are knowingly deceitful but many view the gun as a commodity, get it in the shop, get it out of the shop and they just don't bother to check the gun completely.
As mentioned, if you don't have a COMPLETE set of tools for measuring choke, chamber length etc, you are at the mercy of the trade.
I never do business with any type of gun auction. It's just not worth the time, effort and aggravation to wade through the junk being sold.
A reputable dealer with an iron clad 3-day inspection/return policy is the only way. -Dick

Maybe we should start a new thread about dealers we do trust. I never brought a thing from Kirby at Vintage Doubles, in Washington, but I spoke to him several times about a gun I ended up NOT buying. I feel as though I could trust him. The same goes for Charlie, the gentleman who brought Hill Rod and Gun (Britgun's old place).

I've mentioned Safari Outfitters, in Millbrook, NY before. I find them to be as honorable as they come. But, in terms of real estate, Millbrook is the second priciest piece in New York, second only to NYC, the Big Apple. And their rent costs are reflected in their prices. But, you also see some of the nicest guns money can buy.

Now for my list of dealers that I don't trust. Well, I don't talk bad about anyone, so I'd rather not say anything at all. Besides, my bad experiences could be more from perception, rather than reality.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
britgun
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:57 pm  Reply with quote

M D Christian wrote:
Britgun: I didn't think he would realize his "Buy Now" price, but I thought bids would go a little higher than they did.. What do you think is a fair price for the piece,, MDC

In that condition, with the engraving, cased, I'd say he had a fair price going there, maybe a couple grand high, but not outta line....

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:05 pm  Reply with quote

Larry Brown wrote:
MCHunter wrote:
IFL16ga,

Larry,

I don't know of a book covering American and English gun patents. Some guns, you can tell the action by pin (or screw) placement, but it can be pretty hard. For example, I thought I knew how to tell a Webley Screw Grip just by looking at photos, but I discovered the only way to do so for sure is to look at the slot in the standing breech, through which you can see threads (or not) on the spindle.

Proof . . . if you're talking the Wirnsberger book, I have that too and it's OK, but far from the best. But I don't know of a really good book available on the subject. I have an old "Gun Digest Treasury" with Baron Engelhardt's articles on proof. That and the series of articles Lee Kennett did for Gun Digest back in the 70's are the best and most complete sources I know of. Somebody does need to do a complete, updated book.

Geoffry Boothroyd wrote two great books about British shotguns. "Boxlocks and Sidelocks" and "Boothroyd on British Shotguns". Geoffrey was also a good friend to Sir Ian Fleming and thusly appointed... The Official Armorer to James Bond".

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"