16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Nice English 16ga light weight game gun
britgun
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:23 pm  Reply with quote

Prussian Gun Guy wrote:
budrichard wrote:
I have NEVER found a gun dealer I could completely trust. Some are more trustworthy than others but that is the nature of the trade. Some are knowingly deceitful but many view the gun as a commodity, get it in the shop, get it out of the shop and they just don't bother to check the gun completely.
As mentioned, if you don't have a COMPLETE set of tools for measuring choke, chamber length etc, you are at the mercy of the trade.
I never do business with any type of gun auction. It's just not worth the time, effort and aggravation to wade through the junk being sold.
A reputable dealer with an iron clad 3-day inspection/return policy is the only way. -Dick

Maybe we should start a new thread about dealers we do trust. I never brought a thing from Kirby at Vintage Doubles, in Washington, but I spoke to him several times about a gun I ended up NOT buying. I feel as though I could trust him. The same goes for Charlie, the gentleman who brought Hill Rod and Gun (Britgun's old place).

I've mentioned Safari Outfitters, in Millbrook, NY before. I find them to be as honorable as they come. But, in terms of real estate, Millbrook is the second priciest piece in New York, second only to NYC, the Big Apple. And their rent costs are reflected in their prices. But, you also see some of the nicest guns money can buy.

Now for my list of dealers that I don't trust. Well, I don't talk bad about anyone, so I'd rather not say anything at all. Besides, my bad experiences could be more from perception, rather than reality.

Hill Rod and Gun gave a FIVE day SHOOTING inspection... I don't know if Chuckie still does that or not. That Gulf Coast Gun guy has been decent, but you gotta ask all the questions. I have gotten 2 really good guns from that guy for super prices!! He is real fair. Then there was that real honest guy that owned La Becasse (can't remember the dude's name) but he was totally honest, too..... hey, just remembered the guy's name: Jack Dudley....anybody know whatever happened to him?

Duncan (brit)

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:30 pm  Reply with quote

britgun wrote:
Prussian Gun Guy wrote:
budrichard wrote:
I have NEVER found a gun dealer I could completely trust. Some are more trustworthy than others but that is the nature of the trade. Some are knowingly deceitful but many view the gun as a commodity, get it in the shop, get it out of the shop and they just don't bother to check the gun completely.
As mentioned, if you don't have a COMPLETE set of tools for measuring choke, chamber length etc, you are at the mercy of the trade.
I never do business with any type of gun auction. It's just not worth the time, effort and aggravation to wade through the junk being sold.
A reputable dealer with an iron clad 3-day inspection/return policy is the only way. -Dick

Maybe we should start a new thread about dealers we do trust. I never brought a thing from Kirby at Vintage Doubles, in Washington, but I spoke to him several times about a gun I ended up NOT buying. I feel as though I could trust him. The same goes for Charlie, the gentleman who brought Hill Rod and Gun (Britgun's old place).

I've mentioned Safari Outfitters, in Millbrook, NY before. I find them to be as honorable as they come. But, in terms of real estate, Millbrook is the second priciest piece in New York, second only to NYC, the Big Apple. And their rent costs are reflected in their prices. But, you also see some of the nicest guns money can buy.

Now for my list of dealers that I don't trust. Well, I don't talk bad about anyone, so I'd rather not say anything at all. Besides, my bad experiences could be more from perception, rather than reality.

Hill Rod and Gun gave a FIVE day SHOOTING inspection... I don't know if Chuckie still does that or not. That Gulf Coast Gun guy has been decent, but you gotta ask all the questions. I have gotten 2 really good guns from that guy for super prices!! He is real fair. Then there was that real honest guy that owned La Becasse (can't remember the dude's name) but he was totally honest, too..... hey, just remembered the guy's name: Jack Dudley....anybody know whatever happened to him?

Duncan (brit)

La Becasse? I remember him. Wasn't he in New Hampshire some where? I remember going into his place. Small inventory, but, all nice stuff. Brings back memories.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
nutcase
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:40 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
hey, just remembered the guy's name: Jack Dudley....anybody know whatever happened to him?

Don't know the guy but I've seen it posted more than once that he is running Cabela's Gun Library here in Boise.

Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:46 pm  Reply with quote

His name is listed as one of the contacts on the Cabela's website.

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
M D Christian
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:10 am  Reply with quote

M C Hunter: A book on Us and British patents would be handy, but quite an undertaking. It would have to be a labor of love, It would never make the best seller list.. Anyway, In Nigel Brown's " London Gunmakers" there is about 28 pages of London mokers patents from 1800 yo 1929. The Google Patent Site seems to be pretty complete, but it's a little hard to ferret out the info.. MDC
MCHunter
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:33 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
M D Christian wrote:
Britgun: I didn't think he would realize his "Buy Now" price, but I thought bids would go a little higher than they did.. What do you think is a fair price for the piece,, MDC

In that condition, with the engraving, cased, I'd say he had a fair price going there, maybe a couple grand high, but not outta line....

Brittgun,

The gun was $3K and if a couple of grand high that would put it around $1,100 back to what you can pick up a well used non-engraved Hinton without case and accessories.

A new wave towards non-kitchen name makers is the current hot item. What makes this a special buy is the uniqueness, "fully engraved" in what looks like very good condition for a (I'm guessing here) 100 year old gun. Buy condition, buy uniqueness. Like myself and Larry said, if your questions are answered correctly, i.e. barrel wall thickness, bore diameter, choke, tight on face, solid wood, then in my opinion this is a nice buy.

1928 A. H. Fox CE 16ga.
Orry
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:53 am  Reply with quote

..... hey, just remembered the guy's name: Jack Dudley....anybody know whatever happened to him?Duncan (brit)[/quote]

Jack Dudley, never knew the name or the man until just recently. I drove two hundred miles to look at a gun he totally misrepresented.
britgun
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:52 am  Reply with quote

Orry wrote:
..... hey, just remembered the guy's name: Jack Dudley....anybody know whatever happened to him?Duncan (brit)

Jack Dudley, never knew the name or the man until just recently. I drove two hundred miles to look at a gun he totally misrepresented.[/quote]

that's a shame. Not the same guy nor reputation of 10 years ago. Sorry to hear of your bad experience. I know how that feels. Who's he with now?

brit

Larry Brown
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:32 am  Reply with quote

Duncan, Jack's out in your country, running the Gun Library for Cabela's in Boise.

I'm more than a little surprised to hear that Jack misrepresented a gun, especially if it's a double. Stuff gets put on the Cabela's website that isn't done by the guy in charge of the Library. He has to work with a bunch of far less experienced people; totally different situation than that which existed at La Becasse (or Orvis, or New England Arms when he was at either of those places). If you spoke with Jack when he actually had the gun in hand, it would really surprise me to hear he didn't give you the straight story.
Orry
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:53 pm  Reply with quote

Larry Brown wrote:
I'm more than a little surprised to hear that Jack misrepresented a gun, especially if it's a double.

Larry, first time I dealt with Jack. Not only did he blatantly misrepresent the gun he sent (Model 21 double), we spoke three times on my dime after I viewed it, he was to get to the bottom of the matter and promised to call me back.

That was two months ago, never bothered to return the call.

Not a man whose actions I care to defend.