16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  outrageous price!
Dopey Fudd
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:57 pm  Reply with quote

I went into the local G.M. today to look around thinking MAYBE with it being off season, steel shells will be on clearance or marked down.

last time I bought shells was at the end of the season,( Dec.). I talked them downfrom $16 a box to $12 a box.

nothing fancy, federal speed shock. 1350 fps #2's (yes 16ga, what else!)

same boxes today-----------------$23.99 each!!

now I know the price of steels and lead are going up, but darn near 2X?!

proud member of:
OHIO WATERFOWL ASSOCIATION (official division 3 recruiter)

finger lakes western new york waterfowl association
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:20 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome to the world of high prices----time to roll your own if the prices are cramping your budget Wink
Dopey Fudd
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:36 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="hoashooter"]Welcome to the world of high prices----time to roll your own if the prices are cramping your budget Wink[/quote]

I have been doing lead. went looking for a steel set today. didn't find, BUT I am looking! Cool

proud member of:
OHIO WATERFOWL ASSOCIATION (official division 3 recruiter)

finger lakes western new york waterfowl association
Scolari
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:27 am  Reply with quote

I understand your feelings about the 16 ga steel shot. The last time I bought some the price was around $13. I thought that was bad compared to other gauges. The current price is nearly double. I can't believe components have jumped up that much.
I do not hunt water foul but I do Dove hunt and many of the state and federal areas around here require non toxic shot. Steel is the only high volume non toxic alternative. It got to where I couldn't even find a good selection of 20 gauge steel shot shells. So, I bought a 12 gauge. The first one I've owned in 10 years. Seems like everyone around here sells 12 gauge steel and even on occasion has a reduced price sale.
Haiwee
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:12 am  Reply with quote

Three words: Load your own. I make a 7/8's ounce buffered steel load that costs me about $9.00 per box. It patterns better than any factory load I've tried. It takes time, because I weigh each powder and shot charge, but hey, it gets me out of the house and into the garage for some quiet time away from the wife (hope she hasn't started reading this forum!).
Scolari
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:12 am  Reply with quote

I have thought about reloading. I used to reload 12 and 20 ga years ago when I hunted a lot. Now, I probably don't shoot more than a few boxes of shells a year while hunting. By far, most of my shooting is at targets.All the reloaders I know are complaining about the cost of components. I'm just not sure if it would pay for me to buy all the equipment to reload.The press alone is about $175. I also noted that I don't target shoot as much as used to either, maybe a couple times a month if the weather is good. That is getting expensive too. I went a couple weeks ago to our closest range which is 38 miles. I shot 2 rounds of skeet, 2 rounds of trap and a half round of sporting clays. The cost of shooting that day including shells and gas was 76 dollars. If my wife knew that, she would make me to take her out for a really nice dinner.
birddog
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:32 pm  Reply with quote

Hey guys,
Just thought I'd let you know I picked up 2 flats of steel #2s for $9.75/box.
Happy shopping Twisted Evil
Charlie
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:11 am  Reply with quote

Why buffer a steel shot load? What is the point?

Jeff
Scolari
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:37 am  Reply with quote

I had looked on the Fiochi web site for dealers and noticed one about 50 miles from my home. I like Fiochi shells so I called to see what they had in inventory before I drove down. The owner said he had some in 16's and 20's but was going to quit handling them because they were getting too expensive. I know they are a little more then some other shells but they are good quality. I hope this is an isolated case and not a trend.
nutcase
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:51 pm  Reply with quote

It seems whenever I see Federal either lead or steel in 16 ga there is a premium for them, like 50%.

Anybody seen any of the high velocity game loads that they had out last year? Should have bought a couple flats when I had the chance.

Haiwee
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:23 pm  Reply with quote

Jeff Mulliken wrote:
Why buffer a steel shot load? What is the point?

Jeff

Gosh, Jeff, to be honest, I don't know for sure. I certainly don't know much about the ballistics of steel. The literature I've read suggests the buffer acts to prevent "bouncing," or the hard steel pellets careening off one another and affecting pattern. I just know my buffered recipes seem to pattern better than any of my non-buffered recipes. For all I know that may be more a function of the hull or wad than the buffer. I just follow the old adage: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
wildweasel
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:52 pm  Reply with quote

:bump:

I just went looking at my go-to website for 16ga shells: Bass Pro.

Price for RGL in 16 is now 4.99/box! To give you a scale, these shells were 3.69 a year ago!

Now, 2 cases are over 100 bucks shipped. I can't believe that! Even still, I can't find cheaper shells than those on line.

Sportsman's Guide is the closest I can find with shells in that price range: federal 1 oz loads for 5.01 for club members. No idea what shipping is on top of that. Mad
TJC
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:55 pm  Reply with quote

WW,

I just scored a bunch of cases of the RGLs. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Wink Wink Wink

I was getting low, about 7 cases left, so I put in a request for 15 cases. Wink Not sure I'm going to get all 15 but should end up with at least 10+.

TJC
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:00 pm  Reply with quote

With prices going up like they are, I should have ordered more of that PMC #4 ammo that was being sold back in I think Jan.
I picked up 2 flats and shot 1/2 a box so far. Works well and knocked the heck out of pheasants in Feb.

I like the Fiocchi Golden Pheasants but can't imagine what they are going up to for a price. I still have like 6 boxes from last season and will use them up this year. Smile

justchris
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:06 pm  Reply with quote

TJC,
Sportsman's Guide has PMC No.4's and No.5's for $5.47 a box!
You can't find them searching under 16 gauge, only under PMC. (Go figure.)
Here's the link:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=332347