16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Got a problem; need some advice.
H.H. Hipshot
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:39 pm  Reply with quote

Howdy the forum,

I love to shoot, whether shotgun or something else, and I have some property over in East Texas that is large enough for me to shoot on without bothering the neighbors too much.

The problem is, even if I have taken some toys along with me, it is so peaceful and quiet out in the country that I seldom get the guns out of the case. So, I haul the guns and ammo to the farm, enjoy the peace and quiet, then go home.

I have a couple of guns that have never been shot, and as I am getting older, may never get around to using them.

Any suggestions?

HHH

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:44 pm  Reply with quote

Blast the radio. Now there's no peace and quiet.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
M D Christian
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:28 pm  Reply with quote

I don't think you like to shot as much as i do, or as much as you think you do.. As long as your happy, I don't see a problem.. MDC
sprocket
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

Sometimes it's the doing that's important, not the thing...

That is to say that sometimes it's more important to go through the all motions and complete that thing you are trying to accomplish rather than the thing be complete.

There's a book - "Old Tractor and the Men Who Love Them" - it chronicles the process by which an old stuck tractor with trees and such growing through it is reborn - not refurbished or restored, that's way too involved - they are simply made to run again and satisfy the the desires of the owner in the process.

On the other hand, if you have too many guns or have a hard time getting around to shooting a few - make a point of taking only those with you for a specific trip - like a date or something - specific time together

Make sense?
fred lauer
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:46 pm  Reply with quote

I suspect most of us spend quite a bit more time taking our dogs and guns for a walk than we do actual shooting. Most poeple now days are goal oriented and think you need to show some sort of result for your efforts to be sucessful. I think that for a lot of us,the peace of open air and no racket is our goal and reward. I wouldn't beat myself up over not shooting when it seems best to relax.

chopper
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:57 pm  Reply with quote

I would say you have no problem at all. Quite the contrary, you have it made. Being happy is a blessing.

My $0.02...enjoy your guns, even if it is only cleaning them, enjoy the farm and the solitude it offers, even if you never shoot or hunt there and, by all means, do with your guns, land, and free time and use them as you see fit!

Happy shooting (or not),

Chopper
Art Sorrentino
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:11 pm  Reply with quote

Hipshot, there are days when I would enjoy doing just what you have the pleasure and privilege of doing. Relax, take the dogs for a hike and just enjoy life. That's what's important.
GA_Longhorn
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:33 pm  Reply with quote

Enjoying the peace and quiet is wonderful indeed. One should find a place and surround oneself with God's creations of the natural sounds of "quiet."

If your guns disturb your tranquility, then I would suggest you PM me and I will give you shipping instuctions for disposing of those noisy old smokepoles. Laughing

Regards,
charles

woodcock
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:17 pm  Reply with quote

Say H.H., East Texas is home for me--I think I can relate to your quandry.

Here's an idea. Got to the farm. Enjoy the quiet. Shoot the guns. Enjoy the guns. Stop shooting the guns. Enjoy the quiet.
All the woodland sounds will begin shotrly after you get quiet. Very Happy
Yep, you can have it both ways.
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:34 pm  Reply with quote

I have the same problem as you. So I drive about 8 miles to the the sporting clays course and shoot. There is also an gravel pit about 5 mile away that we shoot at quite a bit. I don't like to disturb the wildlife and tranquility either. Except when we hunt then I don't mind. Its a funny thing I always wanted my own property to do what ever I wanted but when you own it its like a child you want to protect it.
H.H. Hipshot
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:43 pm  Reply with quote

Howdy guys,

Many thanks for the replies. I knew that you all could put things in perspective for me.

Longhorn, I'll consider putting you in my will, if the kids will allow. Smile

Woodcock, I think you have presented the solution. The wildlife seem to know that they are safe around me, even when I make a bunch of noise.

Fred and the rest, you are right that sometimes just enjoying God's creation is sufficient.

I'm going to try to strike a happy balance.

Happy trails,

HHH

britgun
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:38 am  Reply with quote

H.H. Hipshot wrote:
Howdy guys,

Many thanks for the replies. I knew that you all could put things in perspective for me.

Longhorn, I'll consider putting you in my will, if the kids will allow. Smile

Woodcock, I think you have presented the solution. The wildlife seem to know that they are safe around me, even when I make a bunch of noise.

Fred and the rest, you are right that sometimes just enjoying God's creation is sufficient.

I'm going to try to strike a happy balance.

Happy trails,

HHH

Hi, well, compared to TX, I live in this teeney tiny little state called MT. Anyhow, I have the same situation as you. So I go up there (30 miles of dirt) and get the shooting out of the way (the elk and deer don't leave for good, just on the shooting days for awhile Smile ) ....THEN, sit on the porch and listen to the pure calm silence, except for birds and wind in the trees, and that honkin big bugling bull (whoops. sorry)....

I guess I agree with the feller who said rest, shoot, rest.... it works for me...
...but also agree with the feller that said whatever works for you and makes YOU happy....

brit

H.H. Hipshot
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:23 am  Reply with quote

Howdy you all,

Well, I tried out everyone's advice this past weekend, and it worked well.

- I attended a cowboy action match, and got to shoot my revolvers, rifle, and shotgun. Brought home a blue ribbon to boot.
- Went to the farm afterward and did some mowing and clearing around the barn.
- Hiked some new territory.
- Picked and ate some wild plums.
- Saw some critters: deer, squirrel, roadrunner, nighthawks, bats and other assorted wild inhabitants.
- Enjoyed a spring thunderstorm with heavy rain, lightning, and wind.
- Watched the moon come up and light up the woods.
- Listened to the whipoorwills and other night creatures.

All in all, a very enjoyable weekend.

Happy trails,

HHH

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:33 pm  Reply with quote

Listened to the whipoorwills and other night creatures.

Wasn't that a way to call Sargeant Agarn? Whipporwill, Whipporwill. To which Chief Crazyhorse would respond... Bobwhite, Bobwhite...

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
woodcock
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:10 am  Reply with quote

H.H. I think we 'shared' the same thunderstorm over the week-end. A pretty good light show for me with much rain. Friends in Nacogdoches said they had high winds with some light damage--not much wind for me but a real toad strangler of a rain.
I think what you are hearing is the Chuck Will's Widow. Maybe not but I suspect so.