16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Vintage skeet event. Pa./Ohio border. Fun and affordable.
grouse gunner
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:51 pm  Reply with quote

There is a 50 bird vintage skeet event scheduled for June 3rd at the Greenville Pa. skeet club. Details are available at: greenvillesportsmen.com The club is located just a short distance from the Ohio line, just east of Ohio route 7, south of Kinsman Ohio.

I can highly reccomend this event. The club is top notch. Great targets and facillities and above all, great people. This is one friendly and congenial place and is everything you want for a skeet venue. Cost is only $15.00 per entry and includes a good lunch (I'll be bringing my mother-in-law's famous potato salad). You can re-enter with a different gun of a different gauge.

Some posters from this forum shoot this club regularly. Everybody has fun and feels welcome and comfortable regardless of skill level. You will see some interesting classic pumps and SxS's being used. I'll be using my 16 ga. model 12 field gun.

This is a good time without a lot of high stakes pressure. There is a cash prize for the winner and also random door prizes. It's one of the nicest shoots I've ever attended at one of the nicest clubs around.

I hope some of you can make it. Good luck.

Grouse Gunner
Grousen
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:54 am  Reply with quote

I'll be seeing you there. This is the the third year our club has hosted this shoot, but this is the first year I have gotten the day off work so I can take part in the festivities. It sounded like the guys and gals had a real fun time the previous years. I realize this is a 16 gauge forum, but you ought to consider breaking out a .410 and grabbing those 3 extra handicap birds. After all, those 3 extra birds may make all the difference for you !!!

Here is a one time offer for you and only you. I am willing to forgo the shoot off with you, shake hands, and walk off the field as co-champions. We’ll share the prize money and gifts and remain friends.

My only other alternative is to soundly take you down in front of the whole crowd. I’ll give you a few minutes to think about it!!
Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:02 am  Reply with quote

Sounds like fun. Will try to bring some of the Buckeye Vintagers with me.

RWG
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:21 pm  Reply with quote

I'll be there with the Harkom hammergun. Just excuse my transgression, she's a 12 bore. Russ
fred lauer
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:52 pm  Reply with quote

Will be there with a 16 Sterlingworth,Model12 16ga.,and maybe a(shame shame) 12 Sterlingworth. Haven't shot skeet in 20 years,but as I recall,that straight overhead bird from the high house is a hoot. Sounds like fun.Thanks for posting this. Very Happy How many shooters do you usually have?

RWG
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:16 pm  Reply with quote

Fred:

It should be a good crowd this year. Rain or shine we shoot. See you there. Russ
Grousen
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:27 pm  Reply with quote

Congratulations to "grouse gunner" for taking top honors at Greenville Sportsmen's Vintage Skeet Shoot held on Sunday, June 3rd. Tim was in top form as he cooly finished off his competitor in the pump gun shootoff, then proceeded to do the same in the pump gun vs. side X side shootoff. It sure was nice seeing a fellow 16 gauge society member represent us so well, as he and his 16 gauge Model 12 soundly defeated all opponents. And to think he didn't take me up on my kind offer !!!

We were fortunate the weather held off until the shoot was completed. And the turnout was wonderful as we enjoyed the companionship of the all day social. Great club, great friends, great food. And a specail thank you to all the volunteers who put forth the effort to make this a most enjoyable event.
fred lauer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:09 am  Reply with quote

Well done Tim. Had a good time at the Greenville club,nice to meet you and RWG and a bunch of other nice folks. Some interesting guns there,I'll be back next year.

RWG
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:09 pm  Reply with quote

Tim shot extremely well with his Model 12. He beat my buddy Bret in the final sudden death doubles shoot off. Nicely done Tim.

So Tim, tell us what load you used? Never got a chance to ask you. You were too busy with the shoot offs. Remington hull, obviously. Tell us more.

Great to put faces to the names on the board. Spoke with Fred and Tim for the first time. Turns out Grousen is an old friend. And Mike, his wife, the club and all the member volunteers put on a great shoot. Looking forward to next year's shoot. Maybe I'll figure out how to consistently shoot high house one by then...naw, where's the fun in running them straight. Wink Russ
grouse gunner
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:07 pm  Reply with quote

Hello all. I have not been ignoring everyone who has been so kind to respond since I first started this topic nor have I been to lazy to respond back. The problem is that my posts are disappearing when I hit the "submit" option. I usually don't "prewiew", just submit them. I don't know what's going on. I am logged in before submitting. It seems somehow I might have two passwords which may be a problem too. Is there a time frame for submitting? Sometimes my typing is real slow. Can the posting opportunity expire if one takes too long?

So, this is a test. If it goes through I'll be right back with my load recipe etc.

Regards,
Tim.
grouse gunner
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:45 pm  Reply with quote

RWG:
The load I used was what I call "the Erickson special" which I so gratefully obtained from Dave Erickson on this site quite awhile ago. I believe it's been tested and listed by the LPG since. I'm having trouble logging on to the LPG too, so I haven't been to that site in a long time. Actually, I modified it a bit by using a little less powder, as I like my skeet loads closer to 1145 or so than to 1200. But anywhere in between is fine with me. What I shot at the vintage is as follows:

Remington black hull

Gulandi SG20L wad

Winchester 209 primer

7/8 oz. shot

15.5-15.7 gr. International Clays.

(by the way...thanks again Dave!!... I really will send you those wads...hopefully real soon).

I'm sure the original load as I obtained it from Dave was with a little more powder, but I don't want to cite an amount right now because I don't want to mispeak where pressure, velocity and safety is involved. I will post it once I check my records.

Anyway, Dave said going down to 15.5gr. is ok too, and I have fooled with even less powder than that and broke all the birds I deserved, but my main bushing is throwing about 15.7 and that's working fine for me. It's probably a little under 1200 fps. It's pretty soft and leaves a clean barrel and requires no filler. I've done ok with the other puffed wheat filler and 16 gauge guy's green dot/circle fly loads too, but Dave's are my favorite right now. They seem to recoil just a tad softer than the others for me.

I'm finding the gulandi's to be out of stock everywhere now and I've got a lot of the other components, so I'll be switching for awhile soon.
grouse gunner
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:16 pm  Reply with quote

We sure had a good time didn't we? Although the turnout was good, hopefully we can get even more 16er's next year. I'm guessing we had close to thirty or more shooters each of the past two years and just slighty less this year. There sure were some impressive shooters and neat guns. It was a sight to watch those guys shoot. There were smiles all around and really great food.

We can't thank the volunteers enough (including spouses and family). The shoot organizer (and others) put a lot of unselfish unseen effort in to this event each year for the benefit of all. Thanks!!!

I'll be there next year but maybe just as a cook, referee, registrar clerk or puller.

Grousen:
Regarding your pre-game offer, it was beyond kind, considering your lethality with the both your little gun and your beautiful classic 16. However it wasn't really neccessary because with some odd unexplainable exception for this year, I've got about as much chance of being around for a shoot off as candidate Edwards has of starting to give himself buzz cuts with a flowbee just to save a few hundred bucks. Heck, I'd be honored and priviliged just to stand on the shoot off field in your shadow and be your hull picker-upper!!

It was nice meeting and or seeing you all. Lord willing, we'll get to enjoy it again.

Regards,
Tim
Orry
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:00 pm  Reply with quote

Tim, come on ... you don't plan to defend your title next year _ did I read it correctly?! The photos are on the website www.greenvillesportsmen.com wonderful turnout, great time and some impressive shooting. Thirty five shooters signed up and yes, next year, let's get more 16 gauge guns involved.
grouse gunner
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:16 pm  Reply with quote

I said "maybe" only as a volunteer worker!! I'd love to shoot as always, if circumstances allow!! My first priority will be to help if it's needed, and if I can shoot I will. Also, I wasn't sure if the previous year's winner is allowed to enter the following year. If I'm allowed I will. I have fun no matter how many I break. I can't think of too many guys that can't out shoot me on any given day so, I will let all have the pleasure next year. It's only right to do so!! Heck it's the high point of my year!! (Obviously I have a shallow, narrowly focused life: family, low gun skeet, game birds, and occasionally a responsible amount of premium beer consumed only in a responsible way). I'm such a lightweight in my advanced middle age that since I'm only going to have a couple at most, I drink the good stuff.

Thanks again for a great event. See you around the club.