16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Performance of low-pressure vintage wad loads.....
britgun
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:53 am  Reply with quote

......was fabulous, once I got used to the shower of confetti from the exploded Alcan fiber wads raining down around me following the shots.... I only shot the CHED paper hulls (not the Feds yet)... and they worked great. I broke clays with the same consistency regardless of whether or not there was an overshot card. They were a pleasure to shoot, lower recoil especially noticable in my 5 pound French gun..... they are moving at over 1200 fps with pressures between only 6 and 7 thousand PSI.....

If I have the time to build these babies (they DO take a little more time), I believe I will begin using them exclusively, and will test them on live birds with copperplated shot.

brit

Hawk
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:03 am  Reply with quote

Brit,

That's great. How did the paper hulls look after firing? Any leading problems? And, how much reduction in recoil would you say - a third, more? Can't wait to hear how the Federals do.

Sent a 3/4 oz. fiber load to Armbrust yesterday & will let you know what I hear.

Dan
britgun
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:37 am  Reply with quote

Hawk wrote:
Brit,

That's great. How did the paper hulls look after firing? Any leading problems? And, how much reduction in recoil would you say - a third, more? Can't wait to hear how the Federals do.

Sent a 3/4 oz. fiber load to Armbrust yesterday & will let you know what I hear.

Dan

Dan, The paper hulls looked fine after firing, and I reloaded them yesterday and will try them again Sunday. They do seem a bit flimsy compared to the robust Federal Papers that can really take it time and time again. I'm not sure how many loads I'll manage out of these thinner walled CHED's.....

There were no leading problems at all, clean up was normal and I used about 75 rounds through my light gun, so I had a good test.

The actual felt recoil drop is hard to determine, but it felt more like it was cut in half!

brit

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:23 am  Reply with quote

I enjoy the look on the other shooters faces when all that "ticker tape" parade floats around after puling the trigger Twisted Evil Very Happy Cool
britgun
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:26 pm  Reply with quote

hoashooter wrote:
I enjoy the look on the other shooters faces when all that "ticker tape" parade floats around after puling the trigger Twisted Evil Very Happy Cool

...you into this stuff, too? What powder and components do you use?

brit