16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Gun Dealers we trust.
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:27 pm  Reply with quote

O.K. I started the thread.

List the dealers you know and trust. For me, it is:

Safari Outfitters. Millbrook, NY. I brought more guns from Niles than I'm willing to admit to my wife, and every transaction went through smoothly. I had a problem with 1 gun, a early 1900's Francott that broke a toplever spring about 10-15 weeks after I brought it. Niles made it right, at his expense. A first class operation.

Hill Rod and Gun. (I said elsewhere, that I never brought anything from them, but I spoke to Charlie, and feel I can trust him.)

Vintage Doubles. (Same goes for what I said about Charlie above).

Hallowell and Co. (Morris Hallowell relocated his Greenwich, Ct. based business to Livingston Montana a few years ago. Prior to that I brought and sold more than a few guns through him, and never felt like I had the short end of the stick.)

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:06 pm  Reply with quote

I have bought guns from all four you listed - Safari, Hill Rod and Gun, Vintage, and Morris Hallowell and have returned guns to three of them. No muss, no fuss, and as described.

I add to that list George Caswell at Champlin Arms, Bob Hunter, Phillip Futtrel in the Southeast, and Mark Reynolds in colorado.

Best,

Mike

fin2feather
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:38 pm  Reply with quote

Have never bought a gun from any of them. I have bought two guns over the internet and was a nervous wreck over both; both were from individuals and both turned out OK, at least from my standpoint. Both guys may be on this board, and if so, thanks for being pretty much straight up.

All the rest (four shotguns, two rifles, a pistol or two, so not that many) I've bought face to face; that way, I've only myself to blame. I'm pretty happy with what I've got, and I'm not really a trader, so anything I buy from now one will probably be face to face also. I'm not out "shopping" on the net; I do go to the occasional gun show, etc., and if I see something I want, and the price is fair, I might go for it.

I cast no dispersions on anyone, but there's simply too much room for "interpretation" and I hate that "don't ask, don't tell" thing; I don't want to have to remember to ask all the right questions. I hate that feeling of having been ripped off. If I have buyer's remorse, I want it to be my own fault; it's just easier on my night's sleep. JMHO.

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Trigg
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:24 pm  Reply with quote

I have had truly excellent advice and experience with Champlin arms. I also have had a good experience with Hill Rod and Gun, Ivory beads, and Galazan.
Scatrgunr
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:34 am  Reply with quote

My own experience with purchasing a gun from Hallowell and Co. was a very positive one. Gun as described with good communication and prompt shipping.
txshootist
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:00 am  Reply with quote

I have bought from only two online commercial dealers, Gulf Coast Guns, and Newington Gun Exchange, and I would say that the transactions I made were satisfctory. All guns arrived as described or better. One, a Sterlingworth misfired upon testing, but the cost to send it back for repair was greater than the cost of having my local gunsmith repair it. Had I wanted to return it for a refund, George (Gulf Coast Guns) would have willingly taken it back. Even with the cost of repair, the gun is a keeper.

One must remember, however, when dealing online, that the more questions that you get satisfactory answers to, and the more quality pictures you receive, the less likely you will be unpleasantly surprised when you receive your gun. With return shipping and repeat FFL fees, the costs can add up even though a gun is warranteed.

If you have a weak heart, perhaps dealing with a local dealer would be best.

Fin2feather:

I empathise with your situation, especially when sending a large amount of money for a used/rare gun. Face to face is usually best.

Marc
IFL16's
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:06 am  Reply with quote

I would buy another gun that Wildwood had if I couldn't find it anywhere else. They will refund your money if you send one back but they don't describe guns accurately and frequently don't see very obvious problems or at least don't report them even when you ask. They are also quick to refund money for repairs if you decide to keep the gun anyway so I just have them sent directly to Keith Kearcher who looks them over and gives me an estimate on repairs which I pass on to Wildwood.

Brian Perazone was great to buy from. He's a gunsmith that can answer all your questions, measure anything and looks his guns over carefully before putting them up for sale. No surprises with him.

I'm done trying to buy guns from anyone who doesn't have the time to answer questions or either won't or can't at least measure stock dimensions and weigh the gun. Beware of anyone who says they can't measure or weigh anything and won't offer a three day inspection period. I'll take the chance and measure barrel wall thickness myself so long as I can send it back if I don't like what I find.

Larry
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:37 pm  Reply with quote

Luckily I have three excellent dealers in the area.I would rather deal with an individual earning a living than a larger store Wink
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:06 pm  Reply with quote

Good to know Charlie at Hill Rod & Gun is good seeing as how I'm in the middle of a deal with him!

Matt
Paul Dwight
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:24 pm  Reply with quote

I have purchased guns from several dealers already mentioned, so I won't repeat their names. One that I haven't seen mentioned, but is outstanding to work with is Dennis Dawson of Dawson'e Doubles in Texas.

Paul Dwight
shinbone
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:41 am  Reply with quote

I've done a few purchases of used guns over the internet from storefront operations using my local FFL transfer agent, and I have always been at least satisfied if not pleasantly surprised. All of these have been small operations with small inventories, and so I would be surprised if I were to ever deal with them again.

BTW, I've never bought from a private individual face-to-face and was wondering how do you do the FFL transfer? Does the seller and buyer both show up at the local FFL holder?

berg
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:07 pm  Reply with quote

About all I can add to this post is that if any of you guys are ever in northeast Nebraska, or southeast S. Dakota and find the need for a good gunsmith, go see Doc Carlson at the Upper Missouri Trading Company in Crofton, NE. He has been in the business a long time, and is very well respected both personally and professionally.

shinbone, in a large part of the country there is no government interference in one individual selling his personal posessions to another. In those states that choose to require a federally licensed dealer to be involved in a private transaction, then yes, you simply find a dealer to do the paperwork and pay him (usually the equivalent of somewhere between $250 -$500 per hour) for his 5 minutes of "work".

berg
MGF
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:18 am  Reply with quote

For the Hoosiers and those in NE Illinois, I like Blythe's Sport Shop in Griffith, Ind. There, I usually deal with Roger Blythe or Ed Hill. They've been great. Blythe's also has a store in Valparaiso, Ind., though I've never been to that one.
henrybelton
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:25 am  Reply with quote

I just bought an Ithaca from Collectors Fireamrs out of Houston. The deal went off w/o a hitch. Perfect transaction, friendly service.

A 16g beauty is for sale there:

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/admin/product_details.php?itemID=10672
AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:44 am  Reply with quote

Hi Henry - that is a knockout gun. That engraving is beautiful. The dog on the side is tops.

Thanks for the link,
Mike