16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Fabarms Classic Lion
gjw
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:40 pm  Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi all, I know that this is THE 16ga forum, which I really enjoy - I do have one question not involving a 16ga. Here goes:

What can you all tell me about the Fabarms Classic Lion I (12ga), SG, DT, 26"barrels. Good, Bad, pro or con?

Thanks so much!!!

Greg
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:27 pm  Reply with quote

I own one. break it open and remove the barrels. Take a look at the lugs, and water tables. One well made gun.

Mine is straight gripped, R-H palm swell, leather pad, dual triggers, 26" tubes. Screw in chokes. Just a hair over 6 3/4 lbs.

Extra choke tubes are not readily available, but you can always get custom made tubes from Briley for about $100.00 each.

I've only put about 1000 rounds through this gun, with only one problem. The first three times I pulled the trigger, she "doubled". I then realized that my "gloved" hand slipped off the front trigger, and onto the rear. I think that if the gun were thinner at the wrist, I would not have had that concdition. With no glove on my grip hand, no problem at all.

I would nave no peoblem recommending one to someone.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
nutcase
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:35 pm  Reply with quote

I like mine. Same specs as you describe @ 6lbs 11ozs. I've seen a few complaints about the palm swell posted on other boards. I haven't shot mine a lot but I don't really notice it anymore. I guess some people can always find something to complain about.

For what you can still buy one for I don't think you can beat it for the money. More that the CZ's et al. But a better gun for the money in my opinion. Time will tell, but Fabarm seems to make one of the sturdiest actions you'll find in a SxS.

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:41 pm  Reply with quote

I don't know if this is true, but someone told me that Fabarms makes the actions for Cesar Guerini.

I am a left handed shooter and didn't even notice the palm swell until someone told me about it. Now that I know it's there it irks me. But that is a personal thing.

postoak
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:34 pm  Reply with quote

I have compared my friends Summit LTD to my H&K Silver Lion - the receivers are indentical except for the ejectors - probably improved on the Guerini.
nutcase
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:32 am  Reply with quote

PGG

Being a lefty I can see how you can have a problem with a double trigger gun doubling on you. With the front trigger offset to the right it makes it easier to engage the second trigger unintentionally. Have you had this problem with any other guns?

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:30 am  Reply with quote

nutcase wrote:
PGG

Being a lefty I can see how you can have a problem with a double trigger gun doubling on you. With the front trigger offset to the right it makes it easier to engage the second trigger unintentionally. Have you had this problem with any other guns?

Actually, no. I have over twenty doubles, all with double triggers. But, the Fabarms is the thickest at the wrist. I think my problem was the (way too) thick gloves. The thicker palm of the glove, coupled with the thicker wrist of the stock, affected my grip.

BTW... if anyone knows of a high quality thin hunting glove, please let me know.

berg
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:40 pm  Reply with quote

PGG,
I have fairly large hands and I haven't been able to find a decent pair of "hunting" gloves for years, most are too bulky , too tight or just plain fit lousy. What I have been wearing for about 6 years now is just a pair of cheap men's casual gloves. Very thin brown suede, with a light thinsulate lining. I think they cost about $15. Can't remember where I got them (probably sprawlmart or target) and don't know what kind of leather it is but they are very light , thin, they fit good and keep my hands warm while preserving dexterity and feel. On the numerous times that I have gotten them soaking wet I can wring them out to almost dry, much better than any others I've had. They work pretty good down to about -20 if I wiggle my fingers to improve circulation or stick a hand in a pocket for a warmup.

berg
nutcase
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:10 pm  Reply with quote

Actually I use the yellow gloves you get at the farm/ranch supply store. Won't do the trick if its wet or really cold(10 degrees or below) but on most days they do the job. They might draw attention away from that fine double gun your carrying though. Wink

berg
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:13 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah, I've worn plenty of chore gloves, both the yellow and the brown jersey ones. They are okay work gloves but a little too slick for gunhandling for me, unless you get ones with the gripper dots.

berg
gjw
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:06 pm  Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi all, Got my new Fabarms CL I today, I posted my impressions on both the Shooting Sportsman and Upland Journal forums, if you care to look. Would post here, but I tired of typing!

Thanks and Take care!

Greg