16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  "Hybrid" Simmons conversion question.
grouse gunner
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:06 pm  Reply with quote

I know this is an off guage inquiry but this is the only site I use and trust so please forgive. I'm asking here because I have benefited many times from the knowledge available here, and I know many of you have and use 28 gauges too. Hence the question:

Any opinions or information on the 28 ga. Simmons model 12 small frame conversions? Do they hold their value and have the handling and quality charactereistics of the real thing? I can't afford a real 28 ga. model 12 right now. I have a Browning (Miroku) 28 ga. model 12 and it breaks birds, but it just doesn't feel the same to me. I think it's due to something about the fit and comb thickness and lack of rib weight on the real model 12's that just works for me. My 16 ga. model 12 is my #1 go to gun. The small frame model 12's with plain field barrels (although I could learn to live with a rib I think) like my 16 just seem to fit and handle great for me.

I'm not finicky about having a "pure" model 12 28 ga. as long as it handles like the real thing. Will a hybrid hold it's value until I can afford a real one and be close in quality and handling characteristics? I know the Simmons versions are not common. I've only seen one on Gunbroker ever, and I have never handled one.

Any thoughts from you model 12 experts?

Thanks.
sothere
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:31 pm  Reply with quote

I saw it as well and was curious about the same thing.The final bid was neither surprising nor expected for me. Have you considered a 20 as they were all built on the 20 ga. frame?I currently have 2,M-12,20 Ga. Solid ribs at this point,Full and Modified.Both 28" but the one I miss was a 26",Solid Rib, Full.Early 40's gun it was just a sweet heart.I'de give both of those to have that one back or one just like it.I don't think you could go wrong from a value stand point as the 28 has a limited but hard core following much the same as the 16.I've only seen 3 including this one and should've bought the one in Tulsa 10 years ago.Much the same,out of serial range,Simmons rib,but extensively engraved with superb gold inlays.2000 would've bought that one then and I think it would still command that.Good luck with your decision.Regards:ST

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=72763661
grouse gunner
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:54 pm  Reply with quote

sothere,

Thanks for the response. Yes, I am actively seeking a 20 ga. too but I still want a 28 ga. the most. Trouble is, I hate to buy a gun without handling it first so the internet sales are a bit of a problem. I also highly prefer the most recent version model 12 with the large forends, they feel best to my grip style. I would take a small grip version if the overall feel was good.

My ultimate goal is to match the feel of my 16 ga. but in a 20 or 28 so I have two additional gauges for competition and more ease of reloading and obtaining components over the 16, but with essentially the same dynamics. That way I could practice with the 20 often (i.e. cheaper and easier reloading) and then hunt and compete with the 16 with essentially the same dynamics.

My 16 is absolutely my favorite and does everything I need, so I am not in a hurry and will not buy until a 20 or 28 feels just as good.

I'll know when the right one is in my hands, but I do wish it was sooner rather than later.

Thanks.