16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  16ga Browning auto 5 question
riflecrank
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:25 pm  Reply with quote

I have an old browning auto that is chambered for 2 9/16 shells. My question is will the B&P 67mm shells work in this firearm?
Yentzen
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:23 pm  Reply with quote

I dont know. I also have an Auto 5 16 gauge. Serial #9561 made in 1910. These guns have 65mm chambers. 2 3/4" shells are 70mm. I use 2 1/2" RST shotshells. If the 67mm shells cycle then I would guess they work.
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:38 pm  Reply with quote

Rifle: If Jeff Mulliken doesn't check in here soon, post your question on the "I love my Browning" board on ShotgunWorld. You will get the correct info from those A-5 lovers!

Matt
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:55 pm  Reply with quote

I used to buy the new primed Fiocci 67mm hulls from Ballistic Products and load them to shoot in my 2 3/4" Auto-5's. So I tried using them in a 1923 65 mm chambered Auto-5. Sometimes they cycled, sometimes they did not. They tended to hang up in the loading port often enough to not be an acceptable alternative for me.

There is a substantial difference in the fired lengths of different brands of shells made for the same length chamber, so the BP might work, all it costs to try it is a box of shells. Just don't do the testing on the hunting trip of a lifetime Wink

The best short 16 ga commercial shell I have shot is the 2 1/2" RST shell. They are nice shells and the hulls reload beautifully. If you buy them, save your hulls and offer them for sale to recover part of your cost.

Jeff
roll crimp
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:37 am  Reply with quote

I recently shot trap with an A5, 16ga and the factory (Federal) loads worked find but the Chedite and BP hulls failed to extract about half the time.

I could mannually get the hull to extract if I worked the action by hand (almost every time) but the extractor would not grab and extract the hulls under firing conditions.

I can not say this is universal. It may be the fault of the gun I was using but the gun worked without fail with the Federal, off the shelf shells.