16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  new with a lot of questions
michalan
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:21 am  Reply with quote

Hey all,

I been reading this site off and on for last 9+ months... I have decided to get back into shooting, after going shooting last few times and notice that the 16 gauge ammo is even more rare than I remember, and if you do find it its expensive, but I know I dont need to tell you guys that Very Happy , so I have decided to load my own...

I already had a reloader ordered and on it's way(mec 600jr). in last week or so I been reading up on the subject mostly from this site! In fact the info here is so vast, it can be hard to sum up, so I have a few questions for you all if you would be so kind.

To start with I would like to produce some decent clay shells, im sure later I will want to get into more complex shells, but to start with I would like a basic shell that relativly easy to load, any suggestions for recipes would be great... I' m looking for 7/8oz to 1oz load...

I been thinking about getting some remington GL16 hulls, althou I have read that these hulls can be limiting because of the size of the base wad size is this true?
What wads can I use with these hulls, sense it seams remington wads only come in 1-1/8oz shot cup size? A lot of recipes I have found call for winchester wads, however I can't seam to find them for sale anywhere even on there website they don't list any 16 gauge wads they produce, are these discountined now? What wad would go well with remington hulls w/ 1oz shot?

As far as powder goes it seams its between "Hodgdons Universal" and "Alliant Unique" will both these powders change between clay loads and game loads?

One last thing, could someone please explain to me how different primers effect the shots ballistics?

I guess I will limit my questions to that for the time being! Thanx in advance!

- Mike C
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:41 am  Reply with quote

Joining the Low Pressure Group(Russ) will give you access to 100's of recipes.The AA wad has lond been discontinued and is priced beyond reality when found.The Remmy will be a good starting point for your shells.There are limited apllications where you will REALLY need a payload of more than 1 ounce.
brdhnt
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:13 pm  Reply with quote

Mike,

First off, welcome to the board. It is always great to see and hear of another person 'discovering' the 16 and how great it is.

Primers provide the initial initial ignition to the load. All primers are not created equal however and some primers are definitely 'hotter' than others. This will increase the pressures (possibly to a dangerous level) and effect the burning rate of the powder and the ballistics. ALWAYS stay with the recommended primer as switching primers from a mild to hot can raise pressures several thousand PSI's. Several of the webistes and reloading manuals will have lists of primers in their information listing the primers from the hottest to the mildest (technical term is brisance). There are very few primers that can be interchanged in loads. My advise would be to stick to one primer and you can work up all of your loads with it. After years and years of reloadings, I keep two brands of primers on hand. 99% of my loading is done with Winchester 209's. I use a few Federal 209-A's every year in some hunting loads. I have used some Cheddite 209's and Fiocchi 616's in the past since the primer pocket is Cheddite and Fiocchi hulls is slightly larger and these two primers are interchangeable with and perform the same as the Winchester 209 in loads. Now I use a primer tool I bought from Ballistic Products to peen the primer pocket in Cheddite and Fiocchi hulls and just use a Winchester 209.

Hope this helps and again, welcome!

Terry M. Boyer
________
Georgian Cooking

Last edited by brdhnt on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:44 am; edited 1 time in total
rgrigutis
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:37 pm  Reply with quote

the dick's in clarksville, in has had rem gameloads in 6's and 7 1/2's for 4.19 a box or 3.80/box case price. i drive by there frequently and always stop in and buy them out. they only stock 1 or 2 cases at a time. the basement is starting to fill up.
brdetr
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:10 pm  Reply with quote

I would recommend you read Lymans 5th edition for shotgun reloading to get familiar with what reloading entails. Don't let it scare you too much. Always follow the recipe exactly as stated and get yourself a scale. Your bushing chart will give you a starting point for powder and shot, but they do not always drop the proper amount. Find someone at your local club to help you in the beginning. The folks at the clubs are usually as nice as the people on this board. We all had to start at one point and are happy to help a new person get addicted to reloading. Very Happy Just be careful when your head is down at the club picking up leftover 16 gauge hulls off the ground. You might get blindsided by another 16 gauge lover. Wink

Brian

jig
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:31 am  Reply with quote

Some good suggestions here. You really need to join the Low pressure Group. And buy some manuals too. Here's the only thing I can add from experience:

1. Rem STS are the best shells for reloaders - period - because the hulls are so reloader friendly. I go and buy their handicap trap loads and use them for reloading-good loads too. Don't think they are available for the 16GA yet. So I use cheddites hulls for 16GA or buy federals for 4.99/box and try not to get them wet. Oh and I also have about 300 Win 12GA AA's left too - but really like the STS's better. I'm also ultra paranoid and weigh everything-every time. And remember: Crimp is everything. Actually its not everything - but its very, very important. Get a good scale. I even weigh the final product to make sure they are all uniform - whcih usually means I did everything else right too - but not neccesarily. You can control everything your gun does with loading. You could have a modified choked gun and make it pattern from cylinder through full chokes by manipulating loads through componentry and technique. There are so many factors, soft shot/hard shot, high velocity, low velocity, pressures fast and slow burning powders, primers and even the gun all these thing shoot through. Good l;uck, there is much to learn - or not. Depends on you.

2. I use only Fed 209 primers.

3. I use the following powders only -with good success for the 12/16/28GA
A. U-Clays-12GA/16GA/28GA
B. Clays-12GA
c. SR 4756-12GA/16GA/28GA
D. Longshot-12/16/28
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:09 am  Reply with quote

Wow Jig,
You even managed to confuse me with you're obsolete hulls, hulls you wish they made, I only use this primer, or that powder. Wink