16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  LCS Uggie Grade IV - Info
gjw
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:11 pm  Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi all, well I think my next gun (I guess you can say my "dream" gun) is going to be a LCS Uggie Grade IV. Here are my specs, 16ga, DT, english stock, 27" Barrels, IC/Mod, coin finish. I was looking at an AyA 4/53, which is an outstanding gun, but plain. I have to admit I like the looks of the Grade IV (engraving and all that), being a SL.

Before I make up my mind, I'd like to get some info on those who have one in 16ga (if possible, but other gauges are ok). Is this a ggod quality gun? How is the workmanship (fitting, wood, engraving)? Thats the weight like? How does it balance and handle?

Thanks so much for all your help!!!

Greg
hunshatt
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:03 pm  Reply with quote

Whats retail, or your budget? so we can stear you towards a Meck 1620, which we all know is a laer guided, pheasent killin machine, heck it knocks down birds when its in the gun rack, all alone

gjw
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:18 pm  Reply with quote

Very Happy Hey hunshatt, my budget is about $2800, why can you get me a 1620 for that (I wish)?

Take care!!!

Greg
hunshatt
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:21 pm  Reply with quote

paid 2900 for mine, used with a makers case. My buddy with the ice cream eating spinoni's got his for 3k

gjw
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:26 pm  Reply with quote

Very Happy Where, old buddy, old pal of mine!!!

Greg
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:41 pm  Reply with quote

Uggie's are a mysterious enigma to me. Everyone talks about what a great value they are, yet I hardly ever see pics of one up close from someone that actually owns one, and I have never seen one in person, anywhere, from all the shows I've attended. Weird. If they are such a great value, why don't more people own them, or at least show them off? I would like to see one in person, so I can give it a good once over. I agree that the grade IV does seem like a lot of gun for the money, from their web site anyway. Confused
Rick Grimes
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:05 am  Reply with quote

Don't have any real good pics of my 16 ga. Uggie IV but here's what I have. I've had mine for about 7 years, shot about 2500 rds through it the 1st year and had to have both firing pins replaced. Since then its performed perfectly. At 6 lbs 1 oz its a wand that I shoot better on birds than clays. Had the chokes opened to .003 & .010 for grouse and woodcock. Mine has rather plain wood but it was the last 16 ga. IV that they had at that time and I was too damn impatient to wait for the next shipment to come in. If it's possible go to LCS and look over their selection of guns because like anything they will vary. Over the years I've rubbed the stock with Tried and True Varnish Oil. It's a polymerized linseed oil & natural resin varnish. I just put a little on my fingers and rub it in. It has really helped with filling in any open pores in the wood and gave it a nice finish. 3 years ago I was able to afford a bespoken Grulla in 16 ga. which is now my goto gun but the little Uggie isn't going any where and I still use it on cloudy-rainy days.

Going into coverts becomes less a chase with the sole purpose of killing; it remains important to find game but the gratification-and I keep coming back to that word-is in the beauty of finding it. George Bird Evans A Dog, A Gun, And Time Enough.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:00 am  Reply with quote

Thank you Rick! Great pics. That's a beautiful setter you have there too. It's great to actually see pics of an Uggie someone actually owns. Did the firing pins break or just wear down? I have heard they do have firing pin problems occassionally. I have thought about just getting a grade 1 Uggie as a knock about backup gun to my Lefever. Do you find the light weight of your Uggie hinders you on long crossing shots? My Lefever 16 with 30" barrels really works well in that dept., especially for chukars/huns and phez, but it weighs about 6.75 lbs. Like you, I shoot better on birds with it than on clays, which is as it probably should be for a true game gun. In a perfect world, I would like a new, light, short little 16 or 20 for grouse/quail and clays.

Speaking of your Grulla 16, I held a used Consort at a show recently, and all I can say WOW. I could hardly feel it between my hands. Beautifully struck barrels, engraving, etc. And they were only asking about $3k. That would almost be worth trading in my Lefever for. Almost. Cool
Rick Grimes
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:35 pm  Reply with quote

Hi UncleDan

The firing pins wore down from being too soft. When I bought my Uggie they had a lifetime guarantee now its a 1 year guarantee Sad . The light weight and 27 in. barrels definitely makes it more of a poke and shoot gun, which fits in with my grouse and woodcock coverts. If you want a new back-up gun then a Grade I Uggie is hard to beat.

If that Consort was a 16 ga. you really should have jumped on it Laughing.

Rick

Going into coverts becomes less a chase with the sole purpose of killing; it remains important to find game but the gratification-and I keep coming back to that word-is in the beauty of finding it. George Bird Evans A Dog, A Gun, And Time Enough.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:12 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, you're probably right. For me, I never seem to find the $ when I see a great deal, and vice versa. C'est la vie. Smile
gjw
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:00 pm  Reply with quote

Very Happy Thanks Rick for the great pics and comments!! They are a big help to me!!

Thanks again!! Any others out there who want to chime in?

Greg
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:42 pm  Reply with quote

Rick- Really enjoyed your pics. Beautiful pup Very Happy. Were they taken here in PA ?

Cheers
Marcus

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
Rick Grimes
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:13 pm  Reply with quote

Upland Carpenter wrote:
Rick- Really enjoyed your pics. Beautiful pup Very Happy. Were they taken here in PA ?

Cheers
Marcus

Hi Marcus

Yes the pic was taken in Bedford Co. and thats all I'm sayin' Laughing
Here's a little better one of Copper, my Ryman setter.

Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:51 pm  Reply with quote

Rick

That is definitely a handsome pup Smile . Don't worry, I wouldn't ask you to reveal any of your coverts Wink Thanks for narrowing it down to which one of our 67 counties it's in though! Do you ever find yourself in the central/ eastern part of the state with your Grulla in hand?

All the best
Marcus

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
Rick Grimes
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:12 am  Reply with quote

Marcus

Along the western edge of Fulton Co. is the furthest east that I wander.

Rick