16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Lyman's 7/8 ox loads
Art Sorrentino
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:00 am  Reply with quote

On page 184 of Lyan's 5th edition there are three 7/8 oz loads listed. All three call for a 20 ga felt wad. I tried it and they seem way too large, they curl up in the bottom of the shot cup.

The question is, did Lyman intend to say 28 ga felt wads or is it me doing something wrong?
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:45 am  Reply with quote

I wonder if the load called for a straight walled hull and your using one with an internally tapered wall?

Jeff
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:08 am  Reply with quote

The filler tpye isn't important its just taking up space so you get a proper crimp. If the load crimps nice with 28ga card wad use it. I use 32 ga nitro cards as filler in the R-16 wad. I should say weight is important you want light filler.
Art Sorrentino
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:21 am  Reply with quote

By way of clarification, the diameter of the felt wad, I believe, is too large to properly fit in the bottom of the SP16. It could be that I am missing your point, Jeff, but I'm not sure why a tapered wall hull or a straight walled hull would make a difference when the components would not fit together properly outside of the hull.

It's entirely possible that I confused you with my description of the problem and if I did I apologize. I confuse myself all the time.

Anyway, I called Lyman and they said that they did use the 20 ga. felt but it was OK to substitute the 28 ga. felt. Somehow that larger wad, all crumpled up in the bottom of the shotcup just didn't look right to me.

It did look like my usual level of excellence but I just couldn't make myself shoot something like that.
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:13 am  Reply with quote

Art,

My mistake....I read your post too quickly and did not register that you were using the wads as filler in the shot cup.

I thought you were loading a felt wad load and they were buckling when you placed them down in the shell over the powder charge.

Embarassed

Jeff
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:17 am  Reply with quote

Art, and anyone else who wants to load these light shot charges, just use 28 ga wads as fillers in the bottom of any 16 ga shot cup and your problem will be solved. You can also use .50 cal black powder card and felt wads as well. 28 ga or .50 cal., either size works just fine. You can judge how thick the wads must be by trial and error too.

Adjusting the height of the shot column from inside the bottom of the shot cup to get a perfect folded crimp will not affect pressures in any meaningful way either. All it will do is improve your load's performance. So no worries here. Just load them up with the same safe designated powder charge and plastic wad and shoot 'em to your heart's content.

Using only 1 ounce to 1-1/4 ounce loads in a 16 is a mistake if you reload. The 3/4 and 7/8 ounce 16 ga loads really make the gauge about the most versite one around for any and all upland hunting, as well as a pure pleasure to shoot on the trap and skeet ranges.

I'm still waiting for our commercial ammo companies to catch on to this little piece of news. However, I reload so I will always have the ammo I need for the job regardless of what loads are available commercially. Works for me. Very Happy
Lefty Dude
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:01 am  Reply with quote

You can also adjust the wad column height by using a 16 ga. nitro powder card over the powder and under the wad. Yesterday I ordered this wad and a 32 gauge 1/8" wad for the shotcup to reduce the volume. Circlefly has a great selection. http://www.circlefly.com

Hi; ya'all. I am new here, just registered yesterday.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:03 pm  Reply with quote

you are dead on about Circle Fly. They give the absolute best deal around when it comes to solid wads, especially if you buy in bulk.