16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  1 1/8 oz "hi-brass"?
chaplainkramer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:03 am  Reply with quote

Does anyone shoot the 16 ga. Remington (called "Express" I think) or Winchester factory "hi-brass" 1 1/8 oz shells--in 4, 6, or 7 1/2?. I've heard a lot about the Remington 1 oz "game loads" on this forum, but nothing about these others.

Thanks.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:01 pm  Reply with quote

What do you want to know. They kick like a mule in a 6 lb. SxS. Wink

chaplainkramer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:26 pm  Reply with quote

Just wondering about quality, application--e.g., when do you guys tend to shoot these (or other 1 1/8 oz) instead of 1 oz (my assumption is pheasant or other upland situations, not ducks)--and comparison to other maker's 1 1/8 oz loads. I'm new to the world of 16 ga, so I'm just trying to learn about ballistics and such.

Thanks.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:54 pm  Reply with quote

Excellent pheasant loads all, as is the Federal Game Shok Hi-Brass 1 1/8 oz. 3 1/4 dram (1290 fps) BUT I'd limit their use to a modern OU like the Citori, or the soon to arrive 16g BPS. Certainly not sweet Elsie loads, and possibly 'more than enough gun' for preserve pheasants. Great choices for big wild KS and S. Dakota birds, as are the B&P F2 Classics. Here's a recent thread about the Fiocchi GPs http://bbs.shootingsportsman.com/viewtopic.php?t=35300

Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:34 pm  Reply with quote

I load and use the heavier loads for upland and find that 6 shots in a 6.5lb. 16ga. works fine for me. The 1 1/8 oz. load in 6's is pretty tough to beat. Rem and Federal premium loads will anchor the toughest upland bird. As mentioned if you are recoil sensitive then a lighter load is best. The reason not much is said on the board about heavier loads is the members have many of the old SxSs' which fitted with 50 to 100 year old wood makes them search out the gentler type loads. I'm shooting Berettas' older SxS in 16ga. and they are tough enough to handle the more modern loads.(IMHO).
Best,
Ron
TJC
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:07 pm  Reply with quote

I've shot the Rem and Win along with the Fiocchi Golden Pheasant. All on pheasants. They all work, but I'll take the FGPs over the other 2.

Recoil is not bad at all. You wouldn't want to shoot 200 rds in an hour but 15-20 during a day of hunting is not bad at all.
I shoot a 6lb Merkel or Citori Feather.

trust me
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:06 pm  Reply with quote

Location: On the banks of the North Fork of the Kentucky River

I've used the Rem 1 1/8 Express load with #7.5s on grouse and couldn't really tell any difference from the Game load. The extra fps and extra pellets gives me a little confidence, but probably that's the only practical gain.

I shoot an Ithaca 37 and never notice recoil. A batch of unwise handloads shook me up pretty good once, but that was my fault, not the gun's.

woodcock
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:03 am  Reply with quote

The 1 1/8 oz. load in 6's gives you 28 +/- more pellets than the 1 ounce. You can do the math for the other sizes. I can't tell any difference in performance where the lead meets the bird; I can feel the difference on my end. Never could see the need for more than 1 ounce. Just my .02[/i]
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:52 am  Reply with quote

I think the most practical use for them is on the larger shot sizes, 5's and 4's, to allow decent pattern density. Otherwise, 1 oz. is plenty, and will probably perform better than 1 1/8 loads from a pattern standpoint.