16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  27" or 28"
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:53 pm  Reply with quote

Life is good. I'm keeping my 30" 16b Lefever (thought I had to sell it, but now I don't have to), and I put a deposit on a 16b Lion Country Uggie grade 1 so I can have a new backup gun that I can shoot anything through. I have had two 16 sxs's, but this will be my first new gun. 27" or 28" barrels, that is the question. Thoughts?
jchandler
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:41 am  Reply with quote

I shoot better with longer barrels. So I'd pick the 28. Am very happy with the 30in tubes on my Sterlingworth.

Jeff
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:46 am  Reply with quote

Go with the 28"

XVI'er
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:48 am  Reply with quote

One inch won't make any difference unless you're busting brush, my brother. It's mainly in the mind.

If you think it makes a difference, it will. "The mind is a powerful thing..." .
Rick Grimes
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:54 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Uncle Dan

I'd go with the 28 inchers too. Hope you and the Uggie have a long and happy relationship Laughing .

Rick

Going into coverts becomes less a chase with the sole purpose of killing; it remains important to find game but the gratification-and I keep coming back to that word-is in the beauty of finding it. George Bird Evans A Dog, A Gun, And Time Enough.
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:33 pm  Reply with quote

1 inch isn't going to make that much difference in your shooting. I have some guns that are better as 26" guns and some as 28" and some as 30", just really depends on the balance and handling characteristics of the gun.

All other things being equal, I would probably opt for the 28" barrels, but if you have a chance to handle it with each length,I would do that.

Good luck, sounds like a great gun.

Brad
brdetr
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

28" for sure.

Brian

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:39 am  Reply with quote

Thanks! I can't figure out why they offer the option of 27 or 28. 26 and 28 or 30 I can understand, but one inch doesn't make much sense. I'm getting the 28". It's being shipped to me on Tuesday, in time for a sxs shoot in Oregon on the 15th. Straight stock, 6.25 lbs, double triggers, and under $1,500 new. What's not to like?
gjw
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:02 pm  Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi, well I would say a 27", but then again, I like 26" bbls, I guess for me a 27" is a good compromise.. When I get the $$ and order my LCS Grade IV (16ga) it will be with 27"

All the best!!

Greg
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:49 pm  Reply with quote

I have to admit, all the posts about the LCS grade IV recently convinced me to order the grade 1. Being a chukar hunter who has accidentally tripped and dropped a gorgeous gun on a rock before Sad , I thought the grade 1 made sense. I even have enough cash left over to start thinking about a damascus duck gun! Be advised also, prices just went up to $1,359 for the grade 1, and I would imagine a similar amount for the other grades also.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:54 pm  Reply with quote

In quite a few cases, these European imports sport barrels measured metrically. I have several that sport barrels of 27 and about a 1/2 inch. However, I really doubt anyone really could tell the difference between 27 and 28 in all reality. That is splitting hairs pretty darned fine IMO.

I'd tend to be more concerned with if a double gun patterns both its barrels to a mutual point of impact and with pattern quality. These factors are far more important to me.

The owner can also modify the balance and feel of most guns with a bit of weight manipulation. A bit of lead in the right place can make a big difference.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:46 pm  Reply with quote

I hadn't considered that. The momentum gained is the main thing about 30" barrels I really like. For short-barreled guns, I wonder if a strip of thick magnet tape under the barrels when shooting (and simply taken off afterwards) would help create that same inertia for long crossing shots (chukars, late season pheasants).

Just a thought.
Golfswithwolves
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:27 pm  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan: Stay away from the magnetic tape! As you know, the Earth exerts a Magnetic Field all over everything; This would certainly throw your shots off if you had magnetic tape on your shotgun. I hope this helps. GWW

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:46 am  Reply with quote

i'm not saying I would actually try it, but in the abstract, it sounds like it would work. I'm just sayin... Very Happy