16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  The cost of reloading!
roll crimp
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:30 am  Reply with quote

Well fella's I guess I will be limiting my reloading to strictly 16ga. and probably less of that than I would like.

I just came back from St. Louis. Had to take a gun over and while there I stopped at Dunn's and bought a bag of #8 shot.

Talk about sticker shock! $31.99!!!!!!!!!!

The manager at the local skeet club says it will go th $50 a bag!

If this is common knowledge to many here, I would like to know what is driving the price up so much. Not that, that will help me reload more!

Geeez! I just may go back to fishing?
Hunter&Hound
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:46 am  Reply with quote

Hmmm...

I just picked up a bag of #6 and #7 for $25/bag. My guy actually said he expected prices to drop a little.
woodcock
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:38 pm  Reply with quote

Daily lead spot prices have dropped some recently and, while still sky high, do seem to be 'setteling' a bit. Reports of club prices in the middle $20 range are common.
Reloading is certainly has less of an economic incertive today than in times past and is probably not economical at all for 12 and 20 shooters. For 16 gaugers, there are few options if one wants a steady supply of quality ammunition suitable for various applications. There is some savings from a strictly dollar standpoint (excepting your time) but hopefully you'll enjoy the doing as well.
TJC
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:47 pm  Reply with quote

woodcock,
You hit it right on the head for me with your last 2 points. My time and enjoyment.
I don't have the time and I really don't enjoy sitting there and reloading. I used to load a LOT when I was shooting handguns in competition. But I did that out of need for a large amount of ammo that I never would have been able to afford nor get for the need.
My 16ga shooting is a whole lot less than that and while finding a decent deal on ammo such as RGLs, Federals or Fiocchi game loads may be a bit difficult, it beats me sitting there and loading for 6-8K rds a year. Wink

To those that enjoy it, have at it. Very Happy

Foursquare
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:29 pm  Reply with quote

As stated above, it's a matter of supply and demand on the world commodity market.
It was the huge cost increase and supply problems with tungsten that forced Kent to temporarily stop production of their TM shells last year.
They are available again, though the price has more than doubled. Shocked

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."