16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Resizing the Base of Remington Hulls with a Sizemaster
rudyc
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:16 pm  Reply with quote

After reloading a batch of 16ga Black Remington hulls with my Mec Sizemaster, I have found that I can't close the action on 3 different double barrel guns. A Citori, a Sterlingworth and a Bayard. They all work fine with several different factory loads. Is there an adjustment feature on the Sizemaster that will let me resize the future reloads so I can use them?? It looks like the problem is the last 0.032 next to the rim that's giving me trouble.
JT
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:33 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, that sizemaster is adjustable. Sounds like you need to adjust that resize station a little. Stop by Gander and get a MEC Check to verify the proper sizing.

JT
Art Sorrentino
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:17 pm  Reply with quote

Rudyc, I had the same, exact problem with my MEC. I think.

When you look at the brass does it seem that there is a bulge at the base of the brass?

If so, what you will need to do is adjust the resizer so that the brass does not have that bulge. If you look in your MEC manual there are instructions on how to do this. I don't have my manual handy right now but as I recall it is towards the back of the booklet.

With my gun, if I put the reload in the bottom barrel the action won't close. Put it in the top barrel and it closes just fine. Try that with yours. If it works just fire those loads through the top barrel and try resizing them so you don't have the bulge.

Good luck.
Ugly Brothers
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:29 am  Reply with quote

I had the same problem when I bought a used 12ga. 9000. After adjusting the sizing collet my shells load very nicely. I use low base AA hulls.

Mec publishes the loader manuals online as PDF documents. The Manual for the 9000 does have some detail on adjusting the sizing collet. I believe both the Sizemaster and the 9000 use the same collet. To make the adjustment requires a slim wrench which will fit above the main part of the collet and beneath the main plate (the Sizemaster may be more accessible than the 9000). Mec does sell a Maintenance Kit that includes the collet wrech and spring lifter. I've found this and the shell checker to be a very useful in making the adjustment.
<http://www.mecreloaders.com/productline/AccessoryReloading.asp>

good luck,
bud
rudyc
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:06 am  Reply with quote

Thanks to all that have replied.

I got the answer I needed. I am missing the shell lifter in the re-sizing collet. Will order one up next week.

rudyc