16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Shot my first 16 gauge yesterday
Eric Cioe
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:10 pm  Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I'm new to birdhunting and shotgunning, but always grew up around it. So this year, for my 20th birthday, I went out and bought an old Fulton SxS in 16 gauge. My dad used SxS's exclusively until I bought him a pump for his 50th earlier this year, so that's where I got the SxS bug from. The 16 gauge bug came from my mother's side of the family, where my grandfather hunting with only a Model 12 in 16 gauge (which he inherited from his father-in-law, after he killed himself with it).

Anyway, I paid $270, and it's in pretty decent shape. The bores are very clean, and the action is quite tight. The blue is really nice ont he gun. The only thing that needs attention is the stock, where the threads seem to be a bit loose. Still, I think it's a great deal.

It's a pretty light gun, though I haven't weighed it, with a Prince of Wales stock and a small splinter foreend. I'm really happy with it, though the stock worries me some.

I shot decently yesterday considering that this is the first time I've gone shooting after I caught the shotgun bug last fall (I go to school in Chicago, so I can't shoot there).

This message is very scatterbrained, but I'm quite satisfied with my new gun, and look forward to dusting more clays this summer and following the new birddog in the woods of Michigan in the fall with my pop.

brdetr
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:38 pm  Reply with quote

Congratulations on a fine new purchase. I am sure you will fall in love with the 16 gauge too. Check out Seaway Gun Club in Muskegon. It is a great place to shoot. It has trap, skeet, 5 stand and sporting clays. I am usually out there on Wednesday nights. Maybe I will see you out there. Oh, and save some of the birds in the woods for me. Very Happy

Brian Erickson

Foursquare
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:01 am  Reply with quote

Congratulations and welcome to the 16 ga addiction! Wink

I'm not sure what you mean by the stock threads, any chance you could post pics or be more specific?

Also be aware that modern factory ammo can be very unkind to vintage guns like yours. The first potential pitfall is chamber length, which by itself is not really a problem, but coupled with modern pressures can damage the metal.

Second is recoil from hi velocity/heavy payloads which can damage the wood.

What are you feeding it?

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:47 am  Reply with quote

I concur with Pete. Congrats! Welcome to the 16 bug, and the affliction of figuring out how you can get the best 16, which is always your Next 16. Wink
Eric Cioe
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:38 am  Reply with quote

Foursquare wrote:
Congratulations and welcome to the 16 ga addiction! Wink

I'm not sure what you mean by the stock threads, any chance you could post pics or be more specific?

Also be aware that modern factory ammo can be very unkind to vintage guns like yours. The first potential pitfall is chamber length, which by itself is not really a problem, but coupled with modern pressures can damage the metal.

Second is recoil from hi velocity/heavy payloads which can damage the wood.

What are you feeding it?

Pete

By stock threads, I mean specifically the thread for the screw that is under the lever on the tang, going into the stock. That screw comes loose and never really feels solid. I'm thinking about filling the hole some and re-drilling it, so it stays tight. Someday, I may get it re-stocked. The action and bores are great on it, and even the foreend is in great shape; but the stock could use some work. Maybe I'll refinish it.

I'm using Remington Game loads (1oz & 1200fps). The primers on these things are rock hard, and sometimes the hammers in the left-hand barrel just poke it. Move the shell over to the right-hand barrel, and it works fine most of the time. I've read about others having problems with these cheap shells ($4/box) and their tough primers before.

My next 16 is already picked out and paid for - the Winchester Model 12 that belonged to my great-granddad, used later by his son-in-law (my granddad), then, for a time, his son-in-law (my pop). It's at my grandmother's house now, hidden away, and because her father killed himself with it, I don't have the heart to ask her about it. Someday.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:55 pm  Reply with quote

Be forewarned, those Rem game loads are pretty stout, about 10.5k psi, which is pretty hot for an old gun. The Federals are a bit better at about 9k psi., and better still are the Fiocchi game loads at about 7.5k psi.

As for the model 12, it's none of my business, but are you sure you want to shoot a gun that will remind you of that horrible event every time you use it? Just asking.
Eric Cioe
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:12 pm  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan wrote:
As for the model 12, it's none of my business, but are you sure you want to shoot a gun that will remind you of that horrible event every time you use it? Just asking.

I don't think I'd mind. My great-granddad died in 1968 at age 78 after losing his health and not wanting to be a burden on his family. That was 19 years before I was born. My granddad (his son-in-law) shot that gun even after the incident, and they were very close. It's a family gun to me, and family guns are shot. I'll just make damn sure it is pointed at birds rather than elsewhere.

The point you bring up is exactly what keeps me from asking my grandmother (who found him after the shot) about that gun. I'll wait until she's not around to have that gun, even though my granddad promised it to me when he died. And because I'd much, much rather have my grandmother around than that gun, I will enjoying waiting for it.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:56 am  Reply with quote

Aah, I see. It surprises me that your grandmother would even want that gun lying around, but I understand your reticence in asking her about it.
carpe dm
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:05 am  Reply with quote

Eric: I taught at UC years ago and I used to live in Muskegon! I have had Fultons, and I know you will enjoy shooting the gun. I agree with the suggestion that you try lighter loads. If you reload, e-mail me for some ideas. Enjoy. Wink

Eric Cioe
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:00 am  Reply with quote

carpe dm wrote:
Eric: I taught at UC years ago and I used to live in Muskegon! I have had Fultons, and I know you will enjoy shooting the gun. I agree with the suggestion that you try lighter loads. If you reload, e-mail me for some ideas. Enjoy. Wink

Get out of town! What a coincidence! What did you teach, and when? When were you in Muskegon?

I don't reload yet. Some years down the line I plan on getting into it, but right now, being back and forth between Chicago and Muskegon, with graduate school on the horizon, it's not feasible to do yet. I think I'll try and find some Federals for next time I go shooting, but I haven't seen any around town (all Remington and Winchesters). I'll keep an eye out.

Dave Miles
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:12 am  Reply with quote

Eric,
I'm also from the Muskegon area. I just shot at Seaway this morning.
Of course all I shoot is a 16 gauge, and most the time it's a SxS.
Give me a shout if your ever heading that way.
Regards, Dave M.

Eric Cioe
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:47 am  Reply with quote

Dave M. wrote:
Eric,
I'm also from the Muskegon area. I just shot at Seaway this morning.
Of course all I shoot is a 16 gauge, and most the time it's a SxS.
Give me a shout if your ever heading that way.
Regards, Dave M.

Sure thing.

I used to teach bass lessons to Andrea Sebring, who worked there for a while a few years ago. Sure is a small world.

brdetr
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:15 am  Reply with quote

Check with Port City Pistol. They should be able to order you what you want. I don't have their phone # handy, but you should be able to find it in the phone book. They are located in a professional building on Airline road. It is just west of 31 on the north side of the road.

Brian

Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:54 am  Reply with quote

Eric

Welcome. Sounds like you made out ok with your purchase. I was browsing Ivory Beads website last evening. They had a 16ga Fulton listed with an asking price of $1650 Confused .

All the best
Marcus

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
Eric Cioe
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:02 pm  Reply with quote

... And the stock just broke today. Sad

It was hot out (85 or so), and after about 30 shells, a piece of the stock right next to the top lever came flying off. No one was hurt, and I even broke the clay I was shooting at, but it looks like I'm going to need some work put into this thing before I shoot it again. Time to call up Bacheldor's, and see what they can do for me.