16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  16 Load Data Search
Ugly Brothers
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:30 am  Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I'm a 12 ga shooter/loader. Though I no longer own a 16 ga. (had a 2-9/16 A5), my main interest in in helping my regular trap partner in finding loads for his. He is a hard core 16'er who own quite a few and wants to keep on using them. It's pretty frustrating finding load data for the 16 since so many of the components on so many load sheets are no longer available. I'm hoping you guys in the forum can help us with that.

From what we have easily available here, it looks like we want to
use:
- Remmington black hulls.
- SP16 wad.
- Winchester primers.
- Unique powder.

From a practical POV we have been thinking that Unique would be a good
powder but have not been able to locate any data for it with those
components. The load data currently posted by Alliant & Hodgdon list mostly obsolete components... Can y'all point us to some current load data for Unique? I've noticed there is some current data for Universal so if any of y'all have opinions about that over Unique I'd be very interested.

Thanks,
Bud Ugly
David
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:39 pm  Reply with quote

Bud, tell your friend to join the 16 ga Reloaders Group. There is more reloads in there for 2 1/2" to 2 3/4" reloads and all have been tested. Most are low pressure, but there are plenty of heavier loads also.
Joining is a one time deal, I believe it is $20.00.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:46 am  Reply with quote

Try www.alliantpowder.com for available data. The SP16 wad is a 1-1/8 ounce wad. It can also be used for 7/8 ounce and 1 ounce loads with one or two .135" thick, 28 ga. card wads placed in the bottom of the shot cup under the shot to help fill the cup to the top. A charge of 18 to 20 grains of Unique will work for 1 and 1-1/8 ounce loads. Unique is one of the go to powders for 16 gauge loads. It works particularly well in the 19 to 21 grain range for 1 ounce loads.

16 to 17 grains of Green Dot will work for the 7/8 ounce loads. Just use two 28 ga card wads here to get a good crimp. These light loads will turn a light 16 ga gun into a pussycat to shoot skeet and trap with. Ive also used this weight load on early season pheasant with good results. #7 pigeon shot or even #6 shot will work well here. Good for grouse too. The load will do anything a 7/8 ounce 20 ga load will do and do it better.
Art Sorrentino
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:09 pm  Reply with quote

In addition to joining the low pressure group, you might have him buy the Lyman's 5th edition shot shell reloading manual. They are around $20-$25 online and they have several good 16 ga. loads, both 7/8 and1 oz.

You can join the low pressure group by going to the first post on this forum and sending an e-mail. Just as easy as that. More loads than you will ever need.

The low pressure group has a couple of different loads that use 20 ga. wads and you can go as low as 3/4 oz.

I've tried both the Lyman's recipe and the 3/4 oz. recipe and they both splatter the clays and they will splatter a few doves in a couple of months.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:33 am  Reply with quote

Art's right about the 3/4 ounce loads. I use them for skeet and small birds like snipe, rail, stocked quail, and starling control. I use two .135" thick 28 ga card wads in an R16 wad over 16 grains of Green Dot. This load will do anything a 28 ga or .410 3" load will do and do it better. It is the equivilent of the 12 ga, 24gram/7/8 ounce load in a more compact package.

Being able to use 3/4 ounce to 1-1/4 ounce loads in a modern 16 ga. gun is why I've come to realize its the ideal gauge for any and all upland hunting. There are other applications with the right loads like light waterfowl work, deer slugs, and even turkey hunting with heavy loads. all this comes in a more compact, easier to shoot package than almost any average 12 and at about the same weight as your average 20 gauge. What more could a guy want.

Of course, you have to reload if you want the most from your 16 gauge gun. However, reloading is a great hobby in itself. So it's a win win thing in my book.
Ugly Brothers
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:24 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks fro the info guys, I really appreciate that! I've already picked up the BP 16 ga. Manual but was kind of disappointed that it didn't list any loads for the SP16 wads. Thought that was kind of odd since they appear to be the most readily available for the 16. Also sent a PM to RWG a few days ago but I guess he must be on holidays right now. When I do get a reply I'll be looking forward to all that good, current load data. I'll probably pick up the new Lyman manual before too long so I can keep current for my 12ga loads also. It sounds like the new manual has some up to date 16 data which is a really good thing. My 4th ed. Lyman shows a lot of data for Win hulls & wads which are no longer available.

At any rate, I'm glad to be in contact with y'all and hope to get my buddy loading before too long. My goal is to have him loadin' his own before the dove opener.

Out here (L.A. County) the black Remmy's are fairly easy to get a hold of which is why I've thought we'd use those hulls. I'm curious how popular they are with y'all or if there are other hulls preferred by experienced 16 loaders.

thanks,
Bud Ugly
Art Sorrentino
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:59 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Bud, I also am a fan of the Remington's, mostly because they are plentiful. About the best price I have found locally is Bass Pro Shops because they are tax free right now. That will probably change next week when they open their store in Rancho Cucamonga.

Get online now and order some if you want 'em because time is short.

By the way Bud, did you or your brothers ever date any of the Butt sisters, Bertha, Betty or Bathsheba?
sprocket
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:23 pm  Reply with quote

Art Sorrentino wrote:
Bathsheba?

"No grass grows where she's been." Laughing
Ugly Brothers
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:21 pm  Reply with quote

Art, I say that the on-line price for the Remmy's is $4.49 at Bass Pro. The Rancho Cucamonga shop is about 20 minutes away (when there is no traffic on the 210) so I'll check them out after the grand opening excitment dies down. My local Big-5 often has them on sale though the last price I saw there was $5.49 a couple of weeks ago.

Got a message back from RWG with the details for the low pressure group so that iis the next thing on my list.

No, never met the Butt sisters but my brother Les & I did date a couple of the Hogg sisters when we were in high school.

best,
bud
Ugly Brothers
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:51 pm  Reply with quote

Joined the Low Pressure Group and am AMAZED at all the load data they have! Anyone who is planning to load 16's will find the $20.00 very well spent!

Thanks guys.
slante,
bud ugly
RWG
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:40 pm  Reply with quote

Ugly Brothers wrote:
Joined the Low Pressure Group and am AMAZED at all the load data they have! Anyone who is planning to load 16's will find the $20.00 very well spent!

Thanks guys.
slante,
bud ugly

Thanks for the promo. Glad you are happy. More data is coming every week.
Lefty Dude
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:19 pm  Reply with quote

RWG;

How do I join the low pressure group ?
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:37 am  Reply with quote

Lefty Dude wrote:
RWG;

How do I join the low pressure group ?

Send RWG a PM, he'll give you the info.