16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Gun Safe Recomendations
fred lauer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:13 pm  Reply with quote

Have out grown the 16 gun safe some time ago and filled all the corners in the house. So, it's time for a new 30gun safe or sell some guns.Don't like the sound of sell some guns. Before I go shopping, I'd like to hear some recommendations on brands that you guys have and are happy with. THANKS

Dave Miles
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:56 pm  Reply with quote

Fred,
Get the biggest safe you can afford and will fit in your house.
I have a Remington gun safe. I don't think you could get the number of guns in it, that they advertise.
Especially if you have a couple of scoped rifles in there. They fill up faster than you think.

fred lauer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Dave,
I figured I only need room for 10 now, that's why I want to go at least 30 for future acquisitions. Good point about advertising more than it will really hold.
Fred

TJC
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:31 am  Reply with quote

I'll second the fact about them not holding what they say they will. At least not easily.
What about getting a second safe that holds 16-20. The advantages in my opinion are you don't have to have the room for a huge safe as you can put 2 safes in 2 different spots and second this deals with having such a big safe weigh so much that you need to be concerned where you put it in the house.

I have a 14 gun Browning that holds 16, but not comfortably. I too have guns stuffed in the basement, corners, closets etc. I'm going to take the approach of a second safe instead of a huge single one.

Just food for thought.

brdetr
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:01 am  Reply with quote

I have an AMSEC http://www.amsecusa.com/. I bought a big one with the electronic number pad. I have to change the batteries occasionally, but it is better than trying to spin the number dial all the time. It was rated the same or better than many of the other safes I was looking at but was quite a bit cheeper. I got one that has shelves as well as gun slots. This is nice for some of our important documents etc. The only issue is that it is not as tall as some of the other safes, so I need to be conscious of the height when lifting a gun out from the back. Just my .02.

Brian

carpe dm
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:52 am  Reply with quote

I have an Amsec safe too, and like it. Not cheap, but good. Get one with a good fire rating if you can.

H.H. Hipshot
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:31 am  Reply with quote

Howdy Fred,

I recommend getting another safe. I bought a large one to start off with, and now if it needs moving, I have to pay someone to do it for me.

You can always bolt the smaller safe down to keep the thieves from taking it.

Cannon makes a good safe and they have a good warranty. I don't have one, but have decided that it would be a good choice if I do get another.

Happy trails,

HHH

Birdswatter
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:52 am  Reply with quote

Cannon
rgrigutis
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:41 pm  Reply with quote

dick's is selling a stackon for 499. it's a dial but well made and is good for 1400 degrees in a 1/2 hour, more than most. it's advertised as 14 gun but get a shoehorn out. still for 499? i might get another. i'm building a new home and spec'd a safe room under the front porch about 8x18. i'll bolt 'em down and put a steel fire door in entry.
fred lauer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:14 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Guys, the 100 yr. old shack that I live in probably won't handle a big safe. My present one is on the second floor of my shop. I built it in and bolted it down before I finished the rest of my reloading room. I could add another small safe up there and a small one in the house also, or just put a big boy at ground level in the shop (concrete floor). Still thinking that over. I'm interested in which brands you all find to be good values and are satisfied with. Thanks again for the replies. Fred

sbs470
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:58 am  Reply with quote

GO BIG
I filled my safe .When we move I'm building a 30ft square gun room with a bank vault door.
GO BIG.

good shooting
sbs470
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:25 am  Reply with quote

I have a Liberty, a Lincoln model, if I'm not mistaken. I bought it about 15 years ago, and at the time, they didn't have a dealer in the area. At the time, you could order some nice options, and mine has a gold spoked handle that was standard on the Washington models.
Liberty had a problem with their paint system going hydroscopic (picking up moisture) when mine was built, and they offered to repaint or replace the safe. I elected to replace, they even paid for moving the thing from the basement. No such problem with the new unit.
In my home, I have a problem in the spring and the fall, that caused metal objects to condensate when stored in the basement. Large windows allow the sun to warm the upstairs (where the thermostat is located) while the basement gets quite cold. When the sun goes down, the furnace kicks on, and moisture from the warmed air would condensate on the guns in the safe-it was no joke.
My safe now lives in a centrally located closet in the house, in a bedroom that was converted into a formal dining room. The door to the closet is a 30 minute fire door with a good lockset on it. I figure a crook is going to spend 10-30 minutes defeating the firedoor, only to discover my safe bolted through the floor. Beware of installing the safe in an area with wide temperature swings.
At any rate, Liberty treated me very well after they discovered a problem with the safes they built. They contacted me before I discovered a problem, and saw to it that the problem was resolved. I can't ask for more.
Best,
Ted
RalphEGrant
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:54 am  Reply with quote

I am currently designing a new house and am planning on building into the basement a room with a heavy lockable door for reloading, shooting, and hunting gear but still plan on having gun-safes. I think a safe is just as important for fireproofing as for thieve protection. The cost to fire proof and suppress a large room is much higher than a couple of good safes.

I think two smaller safes is much better than one big one due to the fact that you have to unload so many guns to get to the ones in the rear of the monster sized one. I put rifles in one and shotguns in the other. You can only really get 5 or 6 varmint rifles (50+mm scopes) in one side of a 30gun safe without knocking the tar out of them pulling them in and out.

Good luck!

Ralph

Brning Cyn Sprting 12ga O/U,
Auto 5 12ga Belg, 16ga BPS, 20ga Citori, Beretta 3901 Target 12ga, AL391 Teknys Gld
DeHaan SO 16ga S2 12ga SXS's, Chaz Daly 20ga SXS, CZ Ringneck 28ga SXS
Rem 1100 .410 Sprting
Snipe Hunter
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:14 pm  Reply with quote

I'm not sure the differences between safes are as much mechanical as they are cosmetic. Some have nicer finishes and a style of handle you might prefer over another. All of the good ones have good locking systems and solid bolts at least 1" in diameter that go out in all four directions. I have an Amsec which at the time I bought it was less expensive than other makes I could find with the same features.

Skip

Sebascodegan
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:52 pm  Reply with quote

I don't have any suggestions for brand names, but I would:

1) Go with a second safe for the reason previously stated that it's easier to get to the guns in the back.

2) Not put the safe on the concrete floor of your shop...moisture often comes up through the concrete.

3) Make sure the door of the safe opens sufficiently to allow easy access to ALL area within; mine is a little in the way on the hinge side due to the thickness of the door.

4) Go with fireproofed safe; good for documents and heirlooms.

Primrose Path
A Hunters Fireside Book
- Gene Hill