16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Unknown Shotgun
g.b.thomas
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:44 pm  Reply with quote

I have just inherited a shotgun that was my great-grand father's. The only problem I have is that I can't read French, and Google and Yahoo aren't being very cooperative. The gun is a 16 gauge, side by side with the name FniPAR GASTINNE RENETTE on the top of the barrel. On the underside of the barrel, I believe the model number is 2952. Other markings say ACIER COMPRIME, POUR LES POUDRES PYROXIDES, STLTIENNE, and ACIER RATIONNEL both barrels have a 17.0 punched into them, and both have an upper case M going through either an upper case C or G. Thats all the identification I can get off the firearm, but I'm not coming up with anything.

If anyone could help, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
fred lauer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:39 pm  Reply with quote

Check on the doublegun web site. Someone there will likely have some info. I haven't seen a post from Larry Brown here lately, but I think he knows a bit about french guns also.

M D Christian
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:40 am  Reply with quote

Gastinne Renette is a very old French maker. They have been making very high quality guns since the early 1800s, I'm not sure if they're still in business, they were as late as 2000. I think they're better known for their double rifles.. My french isn't great ,but acier comprime, is compressed (fluid) Steel. St Etienne is the location of the French proof house, Pour Les Poudres, indicates the gun is for other than black powder. (I'm not 100% sure on the last one) Your gun needs a hands on appraisal, I could be worth anywhere from $2,000 to $20,000, depending on model and configuration.. Come in Larry Brown... MDC
Foursquare
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:19 am  Reply with quote

I'll just add the 17.0 is the bore in MM. 17 / 25.4 = .669"

Hopefully Larry will be along soon.

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
sprocket
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:11 am  Reply with quote

and pictures are always good for insight
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:56 pm  Reply with quote

Gastinne Renette was more known as a retailer than a builder. There used to be a store in Paris, not sure if it is still open, but, they were when I was last there. While you could get just about any price gun from them, the stuff marked with their name was better than average. I've seen guns marked with St. Etienne proof (usually) and also Paris proof. More than one builder, I'm guessing.
17 is 16 gauge expressed in mm-all French guns tell you what gauge they are, if you know the metric translation! Lots of French guns don't give you any idea at all who made them. It does help to keep the price reasonable on them.
Have a good double gun 'Smith give the gun a look-see, and use it in good health-wish I has a gun that belonged to Great Grampa.
Best,
Ted
storybrown
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:21 pm  Reply with quote

Ted - where is/was the Gastinne Renette store in Paris, more or less? Do you recall? I'll be there in August & looking some French 16s over would add a dimension to the trip I hadn't thought of.
storybrown
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:22 pm  Reply with quote

Ted - where is/was the Gastinne Renette store in Paris, more or less? Do you recall? I'll be there in August & looking some French 16s over would add a dimension to the trip I hadn't thought of.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:58 am  Reply with quote

Gastinne Renette
39 Avenue Franklin D. Roosevelt
F-75008 Paris, France

Fax 011-33-1-4256-2111

Email gastinne.renette@guene.com

The cabbie knows where it is, Dude.
Best,
Ted