16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Proper shotgun posture?
Eric Cioe
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:23 am  Reply with quote

I asked this over on SGW, but when you ask those knuckleheads for help, they have to argue it out first.

Let me say that I'm interested primarily in hunting birds, not shooting clays. Also, I spend more time in a field with a friend and a handthrower rather than at a gunclub.

I think I have the basic idea of mounting a shotgun - up and out, then back to the shoulder and face. I'm breaking clays fine doing this, but want to do whatever I can to ensure that I am somewhat successful in the fall.

Any help is appreciated.

Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:37 am  Reply with quote

Eric,
I'm no gun fitter or professional shooter, so take my advice with a grain of salt. If the gun feels good in your hands, and it's shooting where you're looking, you're half way there. If it aint broke, don't fix it. As for improving your chances this fall on live birds. Keep shooting clay targets. Hand thrown in the back forty, Skeet, Sporting Clays, whatever you can do. I shoot 6 to 8 different guns, and none have the same dimensions. Just shoot and have fun. You'll improve, trust me. Wink

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:28 am  Reply with quote

Cool

Last edited by MaximumSmoke on Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
sprocket
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:45 am  Reply with quote

When working the hand thrower I like to play games such as "ready or not" and "wait for it, wait for it..."

I also get into positions I'll be in while hunting - crouched in a blind, on one knee, sitting on a bucket or bank.

Have the birds "flying" in directions you'll see in the field - left to right, over head & away, incoming (depending on the thrower & available cover Wink), low, high, etc.

Get used to hitting birds moving on all directions and speeds, you'll be a better shot in the field overall.
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:49 am  Reply with quote

Two important points don't mount the gun to your shoulder mount it to your cheek. Next try to track the target line or birds flight path with the muzzle while you are mounting the gun to your cheek. Alot of shooters mount the gun before they clearly see the target. The gun mount should be level and tracking the target you don't want your muzzle jumping up and down during the mount. If you learn to mount this way you can maintain 100% focus on the target all the way through the mount and when the gun makes contact with the cheek and shoulder Bang. Hope this makes sense to you it would be alot easyer to demonstrate. I agree with the other guy's shoot and have fun but don't pick up too many bad habits along the way.
Lefty Dude
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:11 am  Reply with quote

Nothing can prepare you for an opening morning Dove shoot in Arizona. Very Happy You just shoot till your shoulder falls off Exclamation
Eric Cioe
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:36 am  Reply with quote

Doves? You mean those birds that Michigan voters decided there should be no season for? Sad

Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:06 pm  Reply with quote

Eric Cioe wrote:
Doves? You mean those birds that Michigan voters decided there should be no season for? Sad

That is correct, those cute little song birds, that gather around everyones bird feeder. Make those kooing noises. I wish I had the money that was spent, to convince people that hunting Doves in Michigan was wrong. Sad

Terry Imai
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:22 pm  Reply with quote

It's amazing in this country how we try to learn anything through either a book or now a DVD. Part of decreasing your learning curve time period is to hook up with a qualified shooting instructor. I'm lucky to have someone who was trained in England where they have made shooting instruction an art form. Taking for granted that your gun shoots where you look when your cheek is firmly planted on the comb (test on the patterning board by quickly mounting and shooting at a black dot), your mount is dependent upon the target/bird presentation. If it's a going away presentation, I been instructed that a "bayonet jab" towards the spot where the target will be has worked the best. Always focus on the leading edge of the target and just look slightly ahead on hit to always make that shot. On all other shots, take a split second to establish the target/bird flight and move your gun into a sychonrized (sp?) flight into the bird's path. Depending upon whether you prefer swing through, sustained lead or pull determing when you mount your gun into the target/bird's flight path. If you cannot get personal instruction, Gil Ash actually puts out a decent set of DVD videos on this topic...

Good luck
Lefty Dude
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:35 pm  Reply with quote

We have the common Mourning Dove and then the mighty White Wing Dove. For pass shooting they are able to fly in excess of 45MPH. At times you can not mount the piece fast enough and get a lead.

The White Wing migrate to Mexico in the fall, usually when the temperature drops in the sixty's over night in early September. Our season opens Sept. 1 and if the weather holds we may expect to get in a good flight of White Wings.Because they are a migratory bird we must purchase a federal stamp.

We also have a Dove that is protected it is the Sonora Dove, also refered to as the Ground dove. They are much smaller than the Mourning Dove.

Do Y'all have White Wing Dove in Texas?

Sorry I do not mean to hi-jack this thread Embarassed
woodcock
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:44 pm  Reply with quote

Yep. Doves in Texas, With a SEPT. 1 opener. Whitewings, your 'Sonora' dove only there it is variously the Inca Dove, Rock Dove ,etc. (someone will doubtlessly disabuse me of the notion that all these 'little' doves are the same Laughing )
Lately we ( and Texas and Lord knows where else) have an invasion of the highly prolific Eurasian Collared Dove (Ringneck Dove) --habits similar to Whitewings.

Embarassed Don't think we hijacked the thread Lefty, Eric has gotten much good information. By the way, why do your doves fly so slowly?
MGF
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:11 am  Reply with quote

Seriously, dude, recheck the thread on ShotgunWorld.com. Ignore the bung holes and read the decent posts. There's certainly good advice here, but there's some there, too.

And, honestly, if you enjoy reading and don't have it, pick up Michael McIntosh's "Shotguns and Shooting." Some good tips for field shooters and just a very fine read. So much so, I bought it's sequel, "More Shotguns and Shooting."

The first book changed, for the better, my shooting. I'd send the old boy a thank you note, but have no idea where he's living these days or what his e-mail address is. Maybe I'll call his bud/instructing partner up at Fieldsport and get contact info.

Just my two cents, and you're getting it at 100 percent off. Razz
Golfswithwolves
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:04 pm  Reply with quote

My own shooting posture seems varied. Mostly it involves tripping over a clump of vegetation or stepping in a hole as I prepare to make a shot. I have been known to end up on my buttockal area in these cases (I must be trying to add stability, yeah that's it). Straddling a barb-wire fence with my gun already in the hands of a buddy on the other side is also a stance I have found myself in when a bird flushes. And of course there is the classic "relieving oneself with the gun leaning against a tree" stance which very frequently is assumed just as multiple birds get up. As you see, there are multiple hunting stances to learn in order to gain proficiency; just keep practicing and you should do fine. GWW Smile

sprocket
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:41 pm  Reply with quote

Golfswithwolves wrote:
And of course there is the classic "relieving oneself with the gun leaning against a tree" stance which very frequently is assumed just as multiple birds get up.

I personally have used this technique and the more scarcely used "lowered trow" stance in order to get the ducks flying...

Once in the early morning light I have "called" ducks using the CO2 dispensed from the night before only to have my aging father, who's hearing is not quite what it used to be, whirl around on a dime to see where the "ducks" are coming in from...

Yes, I laughed and told him to keep going - the smile told me it's not the first time he'd seen the same thing happen...

Another more recent time I told me Dad to "get ready and look to your left" I no sooner started to shake it of when a shot startled me...

I happily picked up the fallen bird while trying to put my coat back on after pulling up my waders. Smile
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:45 pm  Reply with quote

My best advice is to shoot from the feet up. Foot placement is the first and probably, most important move you can make. Try to put your feet on a line approximately 45 degrees to where you intend to make the shot. This way, you will have plenty of swing left and right. If you do this, the gun will come to cheek and the shoulder pocket faster and easier.

Also, place approximately 65% of your weight on the lead foot. You do not have to lean heavily into the gun. However, the butt should be firm in the shoulder pocket and your head on the stock solidly. Then all your swing comes from the waist and from leg drive to help maintain a good crisp swing. Everything above the waist should be frozen in place