16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Forgive me Brothers, for I have Sinned
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:27 am  Reply with quote

I went and traded a nice 16 gauge, model 12, with a solid rib.
For a 20 gauge, SKB, 280E. Very Happy But it's such a sweet little gun.
And I can't get used to chucking those pump guns. Wink
Only pump guns left in my stable, are two model 37's. In 16 of course.

brdetr
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:43 am  Reply with quote

Another new gun to show up with at the gun club next week? I don't think it will be as nice as the one this week! Glad to hear you unloaded the Model 12 and got something that feels better in your hands. We will have to trade for a shot or two, you know! That is, of course, if I can handle being seen with such a Sinner. Laughing

Brian

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:56 am  Reply with quote

As penance my son, thou must giveth one of thy infernal damascus barrel 16g hammer guns to a missionary S. Baptist doctor-preacher guy, and all will be forgiven!! Very Happy
(I'm afraid that might take some splainin' at the Judgment Seat some day! Rolling Eyes )

fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:11 pm  Reply with quote

The disgrace of trading away a 16 for another gauge is balanced by the fact that it was one of those infernal clackity-clackers Very Happy !

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:16 pm  Reply with quote

fin2feather wrote:
The disgrace of trading away a 16 for another gauge is balanced by the fact that it was one of those infernal clackity-clackers Very Happy !

That's just what I was thinking, but you put it much more gracefull. Laughing

mdoerner
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:22 pm  Reply with quote

Naw, penance should be making him fit a set of 16 Ga barrels to that 20 Ga action of his..... Razz

Mike Doerner
XVI'er
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:03 pm  Reply with quote

AAAAAhhhhh, my brother, Dave. The good revdoc neglected to mention that the aforementioned sin was against the Brotherhood.It will take many of the aforementioned Hammer-guns to do proper penance.

My preference is 28" barrelled Elsie, choked cyl/ im.

Just wanted to get my order in before the flood!!!
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:03 pm  Reply with quote

revdocdrew wrote:
As penance my son, thou must giveth one of thy infernal damascus barrel 16g hammer guns to a missionary S. Baptist doctor-preacher guy, and all will be forgiven!! Very Happy
(I'm afraid that might take some splainin' at the Judgment Seat some day! Rolling Eyes )

Kind of like Ted Haggart 'splainin' his gay prostitute ? (at least he went to gay hooker rehab and pronounced himself cured.)

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
Haiwee
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:47 am  Reply with quote

Dave M. wrote:
I went and traded a nice 16 gauge, model 12, with a solid rib.
For a 20 gauge, SKB, 280E. Very Happy But it's such a sweet little gun.
And I can't get used to chucking those pump guns. Wink
Only pump guns left in my stable, are two model 37's. In 16 of course.

If thouest cannot get used to chucking those "clickity clackers," as Fin puts it, perhaps you can see in your fine heart to dispose of those infernal 37's with a true believer -- such as myself. Wink
Grousen
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:41 pm  Reply with quote

Apparently as the sole Presbyterian in this exclusive club, may I add that at least you had the common sense to keep those Ithaca's. Also, that you are ably demonstrating that charity begins in the home, as you have provided a wonderful new home for that red headed step-daughter, the 20 gauge, and a SxS as well. You may have to put her over your knee a few times, but eventually she will learn.

As to the reference to those fine Ithaca's being "clickety clackers", you just keep practicing with those pumps and you'll pick it up in no time, just like my grandmother did who learned to talk and eat with her "clickety clackers". Later generations called them dentures.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:32 am  Reply with quote

In regards to the two Ithaca model 37's.
One was my Fathers, the other he gave to me on my 14th birthday.
So neither of those will be going anywhere. Even though I haven't shot them in probably 20 years. Embarassed

Grousen
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:25 am  Reply with quote

You are so fortunate to have those two Ithaca M37's in 16 gauge. My father was never a hunter or a shooter, but if he had been I would have cherished any gun received from him. I do still have the first firearm I ever owned, which my parents bought for me when I was 14 also. It's no where near as nice as the gun bought for you when 14 , but I will never part with it.

At a local home days the summer I was 14 my dad saw a tent display of a local youth gun club affiliated with the NRA. As he wasn't a shooter/hunter, he knew he wasn't qualified to give me the safety instruction needed for a new/young shooter. But he hunted me down at that home days carnival, told me about that youth gun club, then took me to the tent and darn near pushed me into it as I was rather shy then. That was one of the most wonderful gifts my father gave me, of many. I spent every Saturday with that club for the next two years. Saturday morning was with the club's .22 target rifle on an indoor 50 foot range, and I remember a box of 50 .22's were 35 cents then. Then on Saturday afternoons we went to a local sportmen's club that allowed us use of their traphouse for two hours every Saturday. The youth club's gun instructor was GREAT, exactly what us young new shooters needed to grow safely into the sport. I still remember how upset I was the day of his funeral, which of course many of us club members attended though it was ten years later.

Is it time yet to introduce your children, nephews, neices, etc to your old Ithaca friends? Or even perhaps time to take a stroll down memory lane and shoot those guns yourself once again. It sure is nice though to hear how much you still treasure them as "neither of those will be going anyhere". Isn't it great how important old friends are even though we don't see them as often as we used to, and have gained new friends since. Kind of like your taking up with 20 gauge SxS's. You never forget your first, do you? Here's to keeping those barrels warm!!!
brdetr
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:00 pm  Reply with quote

Dave,

If you bring them, they will shoot!

Brian