16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Marlin Model 90 Sears Ranger 16 GA I'm back in the Club
weagle
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:17 pm  Reply with quote

After selling my Winchester model 24 in 16 ga and spending some time on the sidelines I'm back in the club. I just picked up a Marlin Model 90 in 16 GA! Very Happy
This is one of the Sears Ranger guns made prior to WWII with the Solid rib between the 28" barrels. Chokes seem to be IC and Mod which makes me very happy. The serial number is A373 which predates the serial number range in my reference books but it must be prior to 1941 as the gun does not have any marlin markings. It weighs 6lbs 9oz.

Everything about this gun is a tight as it left the factory and I can't wait to shoot some 5 stand and skeet with it tomorrow.

Weagle

________
Vaporizer affiliate program

Last edited by weagle on Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:20 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Don

That is a bit on the heavy side for a spring clip forearm hmmm must be really dense wood , glad you got one now you are the PRESIDENT by default of course of the Marlin fan club , now Woodcock has to accept the nomination of Vice President and Larry you have to be the Secretary thats all their is too it . I am going to be the consultant that is forced to go out and hunt all year long to provide you information on how the Marlin performs .

What do you think do I get the job ????

Regards Charles
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:24 pm  Reply with quote

This model is too often overlooked---You have a fine shotgun there Cool
Eric Cioe
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:21 pm  Reply with quote

Something looks wrong with the barrels. Perhaps you rotated the picture 90 degrees when you posted it?

Wink

Seriously, though, nice gun.

weagle
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:38 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind comments. I shot a couple of rounds of skeet with it today and it shoots great. It's choked tighter than I thought. It makes black smoke balls out of the clays. I still managed to not drop more than 2 per round. I'm going to do the same thing I did to my 12 ga model 90 and open the chokes up to approx Skeet and IC.

Charles, I think you need to be the President. I just want to be the treasurer. BTW, everyone's membership fees are due Very Happy

Eric, As far as the barrel's being alligned wrong, I just hold the gun like gangsta's hold their glocks Laughing

weagle
________
STRANGER ORIGINATED LIFE INSURANCE DICUSSION

woodcock
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:27 am  Reply with quote

Don't give up Weagle, Charles started this 'club movement' and must be prevailed upon to assume his responsibilities Razz .

As to your gun's performance; I have found that most of these guns pattern 'tighter' than you would expect--probably as they were designed to use the paper hull/wad combination available at the time of their manufacture. But you knew that Embarassed I get the best close up performance (20-26 yds.) with about +.003 and nice pattern distribution out to 35-37yds.with +.010.

The collector who had the Model 90 display (WOW!) at the NRA show told me that the 'A' series guns were those from the first production run. ('38-'39).
weagle
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:20 am  Reply with quote

Woodcock, Thanks for the info. I like the idea of having a first production run gun, and this one is still as tight as the day it was built.

Your suggestion on the choke constriction sounds exactly like what I'm after.

Also, I believe we have a motion and a 2nd, So Charles is now President of the Marlin 90 club Smile

Weagle
________
[URL=http://www.suzuki-tech.com/wiki/Suzuki_LT-R450_(race_ready)]Suzuki Lt-R450 (Race Ready) Specifications[/URL]

woodcock
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:57 am  Reply with quote

Dang Weagle! You're right! Man, I'm glad to know we have a parlimentarian. Very Happy
Charles------TAG you're it.
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:55 pm  Reply with quote

I must bough to the pressures step up and accept the opinions of my consituance . And accept this Prestigous position To promote the Marlin 90 and its successor the Replica to the best of my abilities,

I also would like to promote the 3/4OZ loads in the 16ga we have worked up a load with Rex 1 Powder that exceeds the 1400FPS mark with no signs of pressure , we will be sending this load off to have the pressures verified , This I feel will be the load I will take to Canada and the Dakotas

Also I must disclose in the near future the conclusions concerning the comparison of the Darne and the Marlin 90 in 16ga . I will get this done one of these evenings .

Thanks for all of your contributions to my Presidency I will get all of you for this ( Don your done for you will never see a serial # below the 100 mark ) .

Regards Charles