16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Bismuth ?
grouser47
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:23 pm  Reply with quote

Probably been discussed before. I just picked up 7lbs of Busmuth # 5 shot at an estate sale at a great price. Havn't loaded it before. Intend to use it over decoyed ducks. Questions:
1- Will 5's work well in for this?
2- Some recepies call for buffering the shot -- other similar ones do not.
What is your experience/advice?

THANKS!!!

Terry Imai
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:56 pm  Reply with quote

Since Bismuth is about 8% less dense than lead, it just seemed that you needed to go up on size to get the same efficiency as lead. Your Bismuth #5s would work closer to lead #6 rather than lead #5 (IMO, was the best shot for ducks). When Bismuth first came out, it was a very brittle product and most handloading recipes recommended that you use buffering to provide a cushion for the shot so that some of the pellets wouldn't be turned into "dust". When I handload my Bismuth, I still use buffering material even though it will increase your chamber pressure when compared to a similar recipe with the same powder charge, primer, wad and shot weight. I know it's expensive to shoot the Bismuth rounds but you may want to try a few rounds on the patterning board just to see what is coming out. BTW, due to the differences in density weight, make sure you work off an appropriate pellet count ie. a 1 1/8 oz lead has a similar payload to a 1 1/16 oz in Bismuth. I'm comfortable taking a mallard up to thirty-five/forty yards with #5 Bismuth but it seems to peters out after that distance. For slightly longer distances, I use #4 Bismuth, shoot my 12 gauge or use the hevi/tungsten loads.

Good luck....
woodcock
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:35 am  Reply with quote

Terry had given you good information. I would concur that buffering will improve the resistance of your Bismuth to shattering, which, despite reformulation of the alloy, still happens. Again , as Terry advises you, pressures will increase with buffering so be mindful of the peaks. Finally you will also note a 'tightening' of patterns when using buffered loads.
Avoid wasting this expensive shot--do your patterning chores.
Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:17 am  Reply with quote

I use #5 on close pond shooting and buffer your loads by all means. It'll work just fine Smile
Flintsteel
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:38 pm  Reply with quote

I began by using buffering but am a very lazy reloader and gave it up. Frankly, I haven't been able to see any difference in terminal performance. And as mentioned above, pressures are lower without it.