16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Lengthen chambers ??
TJC
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:00 pm  Reply with quote

twopipe,

That's pretty much what I have decided to do. I've shot enough of the RSTs through that gun but even more so through the Merkels to know they shoot well. Wink

The few times I use the Fox Sterly, I'll just use the RSTs in #5 shot.

Slidehammer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:23 am  Reply with quote

Several years back, I bought a 16 reamer from Brownell's and have lengthened three guns from their 2 9/16" chambers out to 2 3/4". I doubt that I will do another one for myself!
Thinking back to when I was a young man, I remember 16 gauge factory loads were available in both 2 9/16" and 2 3/4" persuasion. I even remember a friend hording the 2 9/16" loadings at their demise for his early Browning Sweet 16. I also cringe everytime I hear about an early Model 12 having metal removed to function on 2 3/4" ammo......

My philosophy now is: "Shorten the shell, don't lengthen the chamber!"

Granted finding "short" loads is troublesome for factory loads.... That said I use 2 9/16" reloads almost exclusively now even if the 16 I'm using is chambered for 2 3/4"!!!

Yep...... They're that good! You can even eliminate the spacers in the shotcup in many loads!

Slidehammer
nj gsp
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:14 pm  Reply with quote

I have an A.H. Fox A grade 16 that had 2-9/16" chambers which have been reamed to 2-3/4". Years of using 2-3/4" shells in the short chambers by the previous owner had resulted in the upper and lower rib bands between the barrels loosening about an inch or so from the muzzle on the top rib, and about 2 inches from the breech on the bottom rib.

Unfortunately, the repair to the ribs will result in the barrels needing to be separated, cleaned, re-soldered, and re-blued. But, it looks like the stock has probably been refinished anyway, and I plan on keeping it until I'm dead so I'm not worried about collector value.

So I say go ahead and ream 'em out. Your shoulder and gun will thank you. I shot a 2-3/4 shell out of a gun with a 2-9/16" chamber and it hurt. 16's don't normally have that sort of recoil. It kicked harder than my 30-06. Ow...
TJC
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:00 am  Reply with quote

Well I guess the price of lead etc finally hit RST. The new price for a flat of their 2.5" shells is $95. Which all in all is not bad for a hunting load. I pay more than that for the Fiocchi GP loads I use in the Merkels.
I've shot enough of the RSTs in 6s to know they work very well over the pointers. Their 5s should be awesome.
I'm going to call today to check on the availability of the 5s and order a flat if available.
I can use them in any of the 16ga guns and will have plenty for the Fox.

This also assures me of lower pressure loads with the RSTs and will be less stress on the older stock and forend.

bigkev
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:38 am  Reply with quote

I just purchased a 16 gauge Sterlingworth with long barrels that is untouched and in fantastic condition. I will use it as a "back-up" gun in place of my CSMC Fox. I will not mess with the chambers as I use RSTs and don't plan to shoot the gun that much. I will open up the chokes though as they are very tight. I will also have it restocked to fit my long LOP.
woodcock
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:14 am  Reply with quote

To add to the comments of C'pn Billy,P'gun, & Chrisss31--shooting 2 3/4' loads (1oz.) in your 2 9/16 gun will improve patterns as the extra length of hull will 'soften' the transition from chamber through the forcing cone--the net effect is similar to, if not better than, a forcing cone lengthening job.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:40 am  Reply with quote

woodcock wrote:
To add to the comments of C'pn Billy,P'gun, & Chrisss31--shooting 2 3/4' loads (1oz.) in your 2 9/16 gun will improve patterns as the extra length of hull will 'soften' the transition from chamber through the forcing cone--the net effect is similar to, if not better than, a forcing cone lengthening job.

What say you? I don't think so. Confused

woodcock
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:07 am  Reply with quote

Not my opinion---Rosters, et.al. Do some homework. Wink
nj gsp
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:52 pm  Reply with quote

woodcock wrote:

If the case mouth of the 2-3/4 shell opens into the forward part of the taper of the forcing cone then it will function as a restriction, and it will take more pressure to force the wad through the neck of the shell case.
TJC
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:30 pm  Reply with quote

Yea, I'm not gonna shoot 2.75" stuff in this gun and run the pressures up. As already stated, the metal might take it but the beating up of the old wood will most likely cause a crack or 2 at some point. Or at least it can and I don't need to take the chance.
I've got 2.5" shells for the Fox and other guns to shoot the 2.75" shells in. Wink

Dave Miles
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:19 am  Reply with quote

woodcock wrote:
Not my opinion---Rosters, et.al. Do some homework. Wink

Home work, Hell. You made the statement. Wink
I'd like to see anyone prove what you said:
shooting 2 3/4' loads (1oz.) in your 2 9/16 gun will improve patterns as the extra length of hull will 'soften' the transition from chamber through the forcing cone--the net effect is similar to, if not better than, a forcing cone lengthening job.

It just doesn't make any since. And I've never heard such a statement before. I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong.

woodcock
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:35 am  Reply with quote

Dave--I have no interst in being contentious. The information is there.