16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Browning Auto 5
blazerone22
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:02 am  Reply with quote

Hey guys I picked this gun up at a garage sale of all places for $300.00 I had a 20 gauge in a Auto 5, so I bought it. its a Auto 5 in a 16 gauge I dated it back to pre 1939 but have not found the information to back any further. I did a search on here and there looks to be a couple guys that can help out. Where can I get shells for it? and How much is it worth? I don't want to bugger it up... should I have someone take it down and clean it? any help would be great.

Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:27 am  Reply with quote

Your gun is a standard 16 in grade 1. The finish looks original and in good condition for an A5 from that era. The price you paid is a good price, not a steal, but definatly a good price.

I can tell you from the pictures that it was made before the FN plant in Belgium was closed down by WW2. The last guns to be finished before the war were completed in May of 1940.

Post the serial number and we'll give you the year of production. Also post the markings from the barrel and we'll decipher the choke for you.

I can also say that it has 2 9/16" chambers. Some of these guns were converted to take 2 3/4" but based on the pictures I'd say that this one has not been messed with.

You can shoot RST 2 1/2" shells out of it. They are good shells and can be bought from on line sources because you wont fined them in your local retailers.

I would not run out and have it torn down for cleaning. First get some shells and try it. Even if the inside looks like the Labrea tar pits try it. Loosen the insides up with a little guncleaner and wipe out everything you can reach. Clean it nose down and store the gun nose down while the old oil and your cleaner creeps out so it stays away from the headstock. Do it again after a few days.

These guns are famous for cycling despite dirt, ice and snow. If you can't get it to cycle let me know and I'll walk you through a few more steps. Don't just drop it off at the corner gunshop. I've seen more of these guns ruined by a hack with screwdriver than by anything else.

Take it out and shoot it, it will be a hoot!

Jeff
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:31 am  Reply with quote

Jeff is right on the money here Wink
blazerone22
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:21 am  Reply with quote

Thanks guys, the serial number is 53797 full special steel, 0kg 977 f *H and a PV marking on the barrel and a big c with 16.65 on it. I've cycled 2 3/4 shells thru the action and they seem to pop out fine, but who know how much clearance there is after the shell is shot. I do not notice the bare metal where the barrel attaches so I assume I do have a 2 9/16 shell gun.
Foursquare
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:29 am  Reply with quote

That serial puts it in 1927. The 16 65 are gauge and chamber length or barrel length.
65mm chamber is close 2 9/16" but 65cm would be a 25.5" barrel which was a standard length. Since the numbers are under a "C" I would assume they refer to the chamber.
The others are the usual run of Belgian proofs.

Nice gun. Let me know if you decide to sell.

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:03 pm  Reply with quote

Based on the serial number this gun was made in 1927.

I like the look of that slow rust blue, really nice condition for a, A5 of this age.

The numbers in the proof marks are chamber length not barrel length. It was made with short chambers. (65 mm)

Based on the pictures I do not think it has been modified for 2 3/4" shells.

Cycling an unfired shell through the gun tells yo nothing about what is going to happen when you shoot it. IMO every 2 3/4" shell will jam in the ejector port.

Buy some RST 2 1/2" shells and have a ball.

Jeff
ltking
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:42 pm  Reply with quote

I too have an A5, with 2 9/16 chamber. Have shot many 2 3/4 shells in it,
with no problems. My gunsmith said it was ok.
One problem, not related to shell length. The front sight came off, and was
not recovered. Ordered a replacement from Numrich, but they only sent the
sight bead. Have a local source for the rectangular base for the front sight,
but was told that to correctly install the sight, the sight would have to be silver soldered to the barrel, then the bead installed. This would require
the barrel being reblued. Alternate solution would be to buy new barrel. The existing barrel is plain, no rib, hence the rectangular front sight base.
Any thoughts, experiences, or suggestions.
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:08 am  Reply with quote

ltking,

Many of these short chambered guns were modified to shoot 2 3/4" shells. Look at the extractor claw on the barrel extension. Is it riveted in place so it is immobile or is it on a loose rivet that allows it to slibe back and forth about 3/16" ?

If it is on a loose mount the gun was modified for 2 3/4" . That is one of a dozen or so changes needed to modify a short chambered A5.

Finding a site base is hard, hard, hard. Start looking for a replacement barrel. I have picked up a couple of barrels of that type on eBay for under $150. It will need to be from a short chambered gun, and then modified to 2 3/4" to work with your reciever. A factory 2 3/4" barrel will not work.

But keep that old barrel around, one day you'll find a basket case barel that the site can be pulled off of. And then you can have it fixed and get the original barrel and reciever re-united.

Jeff