16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  New Addition
nossman
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:06 am  Reply with quote

Model 12 followed me home. 16ga of course. 28" plain barrel (mod). Wood & metal are in excellent condition! She feels good in the hands, and comes to shoulder very nicely! Can't wait to take her out and blast some clays! Not the best pic, but here she is.

grouse gunner
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:37 am  Reply with quote

You have made a great choice. I'd be very surprised if you didn't grow to be very comfortable with this gun if you give yourself ample time to get used to it.

I have the exact same configuration and it has become my go to gun for almost all of my clays and hunting. Yours looks to be in even better shape than mine, which is better than many. From the picture, yours looks to be a real gem if all original. Heck, even if refinished or re-blued it's still a great specimen. They are pragmatic and meant to be used. A real classic in my mind. Mine is mechanically fine and the finish is worn just enough that I don't have to worry about it in the field or in less than ideal weather.

My choke is original and marked modified but mics at .009 and patterns beautifully. I never feel over or under choked for anything I do, mostly low gun skeet and dove. No turkey or waterfowl. It seems to fit and handle for me better than anything else I've ever owned. It's weird, but it just feels better to me than anything I pick up regardless of cost or configuration. I guess I'm lucky to have gotten tuned into the right gun for me which also happens to be inexpensive.

I grew up shooting a lot for several decades with o/u guns, all lightweight and well balanced. Then, by sheer luck I borrowed a 16 ga. plain barrel model 12 and eventually for me a new favorite was had. However it did not come withput some trials. It took me a whole year or better to become efficient at pumping but now I do not consider it a handicap at all.

I've since began to notice, lust after and appreciate model 12's. I'm no expert, but of the ones I've handled, the small frame with plain 28" barrels feel very uniquely well balanced for me. More so than solid or vent ribs. I very much prefer the later type larger field forearms (like you and I have) over the small corncobs too.

Now if only I could find a 20 ga. in the same configuration to practice with and obtain ammo more easily than my favored 16, I'd really be all set. I'd still always go to the 16 for hunting and most informal competition. Ammo hassles are the only reason I'd ever use a 20 over the 16. I've gladly been living with the world of 16 ga. reloading in order to enjoy the gun.

Enjoy yours and let us know how you like it. Good luck and congratulations!!
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:12 am  Reply with quote

Grouse gunner....Here you go.....

http://www.bullseyesportingarms.com/images/Shotguns/7-27-winch.htm

I noticed this gun yesterday. I have no connection with it or the seller, and I believe someone here had a not-so-great dealing with him on a shipped gun. But it looks like what you are looking for. Regards.
grouse gunner
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:31 am  Reply with quote

Birdswatter,

Thank you very much for the tip. It looks interesting and I will check it out. The forearm is not the one I like but I could probably swap it out eventually. I maybe can learn to live with the short thin corncob, but the flat bottom corncob absolutely conflicts seriously with my grip and mounting style. It doesnt work for me at all. From the picture it's hard to tell which forearm this is. I'll find out. I'm illogically (and stupidly old fashioned) reluctant to buy a gun long distance, sight unseen, simply because they all feel so different when actually handled and photos are just not like handling the real thing. I've only done it once and I was dissapointed and it cost me a bit of a monetary loss that I would rather not suffer again. I know lots of folks do it and are happy so I may venture another try. Especially since the model I'm seeking is out of production, although not extremely rare and certaintly not expensive by the standards of some of the great guns owned by folks on this forum. I'd rather not risk return shipping costs but a return policy is comforting.

Anybody remember the details of the problem someone here may have had with this seller?

Thanks again. I definitely will jump on a 20 as soon as I find the right one and this could be it, but since my 16 is so good for me, I'm in no desperate hurry.

GG
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:40 am  Reply with quote

Another mod 12 -16ga slips away from me Embarassed my turn is coming up though Wink
Roadkill
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:05 pm  Reply with quote

I wonder if those Merkle guns they are advertising are as good as Merkel's? Shocked