16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  What have I done?
IFL16's
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:57 am  Reply with quote

Also keep in mind that shooting low pressure loads in the winter will lower pressures and velocity dramatically too, so much so that you might be better off throwing rocks at them in some cases. I tested some RST 1 oz. 16 gauge loads in 20 degree weather and got an average velocity of 939 fps and the Poly-Wad Vintagers averaged 1049.5 fps.

If you end up joining the low pressure 16 gauge group there is a wealth of information on reloads and factory loads for these old guns. Just be sure to look up the individual load from the spreader sheet to see at what temperature the load was tested at before deciding it's safe to shoot in your gun. A case in point is the Winchester Australian factory shells. On the spreader sheet it shows a pressure of 9300 but doesn't mention at what temperature it was tested at. The actual test sheet shows it was tested at 45 degrees. I had the same shells but maybe from a different lot tested at 86 degrees and they came back averaging 11,166 with a high of 11,800 psi which is way too high for your old gun but what you can do is buy the shells, freeze them down to zero and put them in a cooler on ice if you want to shoot them in the heat of the summer.

Larry
HuntsWithPoodle
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:34 am  Reply with quote

WOW. Looks like I am going to have to "grow up" as a shooter. As I mentioned before I have a couple cases of the Polywads on the way. The dove opener is less than a month away and the temperatures where I hunt are consistently in the low 100s.

It looks like I will be joining the reloading group however is there a good resource that will help me understand the basic principles of velocity, pressure etc before I dive in?
IFL16's
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:48 am  Reply with quote

No. Your best bet is to have them pressure tested at the temperature you plan on shooting them at but I'm more concerned with them crapping out in the cold as there have been no reports of problems with RST or Poly-Wads doing anything bad to anyone's guns at high temperatures.

You could also call Jay at Poly-Wad and ask him about the pressures and at what temperature they were tested at etc. then report back. Smile

Larry
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:55 am  Reply with quote

HuntsWithPoodle wrote:

It looks like I will be joining the reloading group however is there a good resource that will help me understand the basic principles of velocity, pressure etc before I dive in?

There are several good books on reloading and shooting etc. The one that I found that gives the best overview of the basic principles of velocity and pressure is Bob Brister's classic, "Shotgunning: the Art and the Science"

A great read and still as relevant today as when it was written.

KB
HuntsWithPoodle
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:12 am  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan wrote:
What have you done? You have made a great first 16 purchase, that's what! 1900's have a reputation as being very stout boxlocks, and are an underappreciated value in my opinion. I think you have made a great choice for your first 16. 1900 16's are fairly rare in good condition too, at least in my searching around. My Lefever 16, made in 1904-5, also has flawless steel barrels, is tight as a drum, and I regularly shoot low pressure factory loads in it with no problems whatsoever. Assuming the smith says the gun is ok, which it sounds like it is, I can't imagine why shooting factory loads about 8-9k psi or under would be a problem for it. I would stay away from Remingtons though. They're pretty hot. And keep in mind, a low pressure load shot in hot weather may increase pressure dramatically. The low pressure reloading group has a chart of factory load pressures.

Just my 2 cents. Enjoy!

Thanks for the words of encouragement.
HuntsWithPoodle
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:14 am  Reply with quote

KyBrad16ga wrote:
HuntsWithPoodle wrote:

There are several good books on reloading and shooting etc. The one that I found that gives the best overview of the basic principles of velocity and pressure is Bob Brister's classic, "Shotgunning: the Art and the Science"

A great read and still as relevant today as when it was written.

KB

I have the book. Looks like I need to dust it off and go through it again. I think I skipped the technical stuff the first time through.
Ben Yarian
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:14 pm  Reply with quote

I know it may seem like a lot to process right now. But it is not that difficult and becomes and addiction. It is great fun. All I shoot these days are vintage s&s. You have chosen a great gun, and I am certain that you will not regret it. I personaly reload. I also shoot every weekend and hunt every chance I get. With a little care and comon sence combined with the knowlage on this forum the gun should out last you, and give you years and years of enjoyment.
Ben
HuntsWithPoodle
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:55 pm  Reply with quote

Ben
Thanks for the encouragement.

When I realized I couldn’t shoot factory ammo I panicked and ordered several cases of low pressure loads. Polywad was backordered so I ordered more from RST. My Beretta 471 just went into the shop and I needed a gun (and shells) for the dove opener not to mention range time to figure out how to use two triggers.

Do you all reload 2 1/2 shells or do you bake up low pressure loads in 2 3/4 lengths? The chambers are still the stock 2 9/16.

JL
brdetr
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:44 pm  Reply with quote

JL,

Join the low pressure group at theis forum and you will have plenty of options to choose from. $20 well spent! By the way, I reload 2 1/2". Cool

Brian

HuntsWithPoodle
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:30 pm  Reply with quote

Brian,

Yeah I think I will do that. I am a research guy and the next thing I need to get my head around is the reloading bit starting with the proper eqipment...etc.

JL
brdetr
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:28 pm  Reply with quote

JL,

The MEC 16 gauge Sizemaster is good to start with. You can also get the "shortie kit" to reload 2 1/2" shells. Once you get the information from Russ on how to get onto the site, choose a load that looks good to you and go at it! By the way, a lot of people believe that the cheddite hull is the best to reload with. The Lyman reloading book is worth the read if you have not reloaded before. Also, get a good scale! The bushings do NOT always throw the proper amount of powder. Good shooting and welcome!

Brian

HuntsWithPoodle
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:42 pm  Reply with quote

Brian,

Thanks for the info. I have started to look into a reloader and I have ordered the reloading book.

Went to pick up the gun today. As soon as I walked in the owner of the shop says "we have a problem". turns out the spring that holds the forend on broke.

Now I have to wait till the gunsmith comes back for sure.

John
brdetr
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:15 am  Reply with quote

JL,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Crying or Very sad At least it broke before you ever shot the gun. It would be a much longer wait if you would have! Let us know how it goes once you make her go bang! Very Happy

Brian

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:58 am  Reply with quote

John: learn the 'messing with old guns mantra' and repeat over and over "With enough time and money, anything can be fixed, and it'll be even more valuable!" Laughing

HuntsWithPoodle
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:31 am  Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I agree with you that at least it happened at the shop. The owner is a great guy and is going to take care of the repair.

In the meantime I have enough reading material to keep me busy for a while. Hopefully I get the gun to the range a couple times before the dove opener.

John