16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Remington
wildturkey8
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:23 pm  Reply with quote

Hello all: I have received word that Remington has discontinued production of all 16 gauge models. I have seen nothing on the board about this. Is it even worth the effort to make our feelings known? Maybe I am naive.

Last edited by wildturkey8 on Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:45 pm  Reply with quote

FWIW---Rumormill is also buzzing of them either discontinuing the SP-16 wad as well or making the only way to buy would be in group buys of 50,000 at a time Evil or Very Mad
wildturkey8
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:49 pm  Reply with quote

Was not Remington recently bought out by a foreign multinational corporation? Evil or Very Mad

wildturkey8
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:57 pm  Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad Mad I bought a 1100 16 Gauge 2 years ago. It is a fine gun. It just seems so sad when our traditions and heritage are trashed so easily. We need to show Remington that they are ignoring a segment of the market at their own risk. I for one think we have to make our voice heard.

nutcase
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:17 pm  Reply with quote

Not sure when it happened but I don't think they have made any 870's in 16ga since at least 2005 and the guns sold in 2006 were from existing inventory. As far as contacting Remington, why? There is virtually no support on this BB for the 870, at least not in the manner it was being manufactured. Remington was hoping to sell 16ga guns based entirely on nostalgia for the gauge, and not based on a gun that the gun owners might actually want to buy.

Browning might do a better job with a 16ga pump. But we'll just have to wait and see.

wildturkey8
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:07 pm  Reply with quote

Sad Mad You are right Nutcase. They did it for the wrong reason. They were after the quick buck. They did not do it right. My 1100 is a fine gun, but if they would built it on a 16 Gauge frame they might have had a real winner. I do worry that the 16 Gauge could be confined to high end double-guns, and thus will never really come back. I think to bring the 16 Gauge back we need to emphasize it's superiority over the 20 Gauge especially on big birds like pheasants. I really think there is a big hole in the market waiting to be drove through.