16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Reloading worth it???????????
TJC
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:54 am  Reply with quote

OK, I know the advantages of reloading as far as being able to "tailor" a load to a specific purpose.
I've also loaded unknown 1000's of rifle and pistol rounds so I am familiar with the time involved.

Now, with all the increased prices etc for components, shot, primers, having to store all this stuff, is it worth reloading the 16ga just for 1oz target loads?

I'm not interested in loading hunting ammo, 2.5" shells etc. I shoot a lot of 1oz RGLs and the like on targets. So I am considering reloading but would also have the expense of buying everything needed to reload shotshells except for a scale. I have a nice Dillon digital scale that will work nicely.

So what is the final cost of a box of 25 16ga shells if loaded with 1oz of shot at a modest velocity?

Thanks for any info you can offer. Wink

woodcock
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:40 am  Reply with quote

TJC--the 'final cost' of a box of target loads will, of course, depend on the price you pay for your components..As I have no way of knowing what those costs will be I cannot speculate on the cost/savings related to reloading.
I can say however that it is unlikely that you will be able to find the variety of loadings that will allow you to maximize the potential of your 16 at retail outlets--reloading is likely your only option.
Recently there have been postings on this site that suggest that 16ga.target loads can be had for $5 or so at some stores; I doubt that you can reload for less than that.
Prices are scheduled to increase in September--it ain't gettin' cheaper to shoot either way.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:39 am  Reply with quote

I ran the shotshell calculator the other day, using the newest shot prices.
Which are now $42.00 a bag in my area, when the next shipment arrives.
Anyways, I came up with about $5.47 a box to reload 16 gauges. This is figuring 1 oz. of shot

http://10xshooters.com/calculators/ShotshellReloadingCost/

Hunter&Hound
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:10 am  Reply with quote

It's definitely worth it for me to reload.

I have a hard time finding 16 gauge loads locally. When I do, they're not cheap. Black Remingtons cost me $6/box.

But, I'm also lucky I'm not paying $42/bag of shot...OUCH! I'm still getting #7 shot for $26/bag.

I'll also be using some loads that are heavier than 1 ounce and that's where it gets expensive. 1-1/4 Federals are $22/box. 1-1/8 Federals or SuperX are $8-$12/box.
TJC
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:18 am  Reply with quote

Dave M,

Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for. I just picked up a bunch of flats for under $40 a flat. While I realize ammo is going to go up, it is a real close call as to the cost of reloading and buying promo loads.
My guess is that it will remain a close call even with the increases.

Then it is a personal choice as to having to store all the components and then take the time to reload. As I said, I am not all that interested in different loadings etc. A 1oz load for targets and factory Fiocchi GP, Win or Rem Express loads for game.

MGF
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:54 am  Reply with quote

Seems a lot of it may depend on where you live and the availability and price of factory shells. Personally, I'm having few problems keeping the stock healthy w/o busting the bank account, and I don't have the time or space to reload. Plus, I kind of enjoy hunting for the best prices.

That said, were I living in some of the places where guys are reporting crazy prices for GLs in 7.5 or 8, I'd probably reload.

As it stands, my little apartment doesn't look too much like an upland lodge or gun store ... unless you go in the kitchen and see the gun safe ... or open any of the closets, or look under the furniture. Smile

But, hey, the apartment's cheap, the 7-year-old Nissan truck is paid for ad running well, and I've got money for gas, coffee, cigars and shells and -- once in a blue moon -- something new for the safe. Complaining I ain't. Wink

All I need to do now is work on the personal ad: "Woman must love bird dogs and have fenced in yard. Send pictures...of yard."
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:02 pm  Reply with quote

MGF, we all should have it so good. Wink

onefunzr2
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:12 am  Reply with quote

TJC wrote:
...having to store all this stuff, is it worth reloading the 16ga just for 1oz target loads?

You mentioned "having to store all this stuff" twice in this thread. I realize that the individual components take up more space that the loaded boxes, and that Jersey real estate is the most costly in the nation, but can the space of a 4 drawer file cabinet be that precious? Cause that's about all the space needed for making into thousands of rounds of reloads.

I reload for pistol, rifle and shotgun as a hedge against rising ammo prices. And for times like Monday when I strolled into the Dick's in Whitehall, PA, and found a grand total of 2 boxes of RGL #6's. I'd rather spend my time at the reloading bench assembling shells than wasting both my time and expensive gasoline searching far and wide for 16ga factory fodder.

My calculations come to $4.41 per box of 1 ounce 16ga reloads.

TJC
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:30 pm  Reply with quote

onefunzr2,

Actually, I am limited in space for reloading and I'm already set up for rifle and pistol with 4 different presses.
Not to mention I was trying to decide if my time was going to be wasted for minimal savings.
I know when I reload for rifle and pistol one of the biggest advantages is that I can "tailor" a load to a specific gun. I'm not all that concerned with the difference between 7/8oz and 1oz when shooting sporting clays, 5 stand or trap.

Based on your cost analysis and others, I'm buying (and having very little trouble finding them)RGLs cheaper than what you guys are loading for. Now as I said above, the only advantage I can see would be a 7/8oz load availability with reloading. I would not be loading hunting ammo. Even though I shoot a fair amount hunting, it just isn't worth it or near the amount I shoot at targets.
There was a time about a month or so ago when a few places did not have any RGLs in stock and I became concerned that they weren't producing them or whatever. After a few phone calls I was able to secure a decent number of flats with more to come.

So I guess the reloading thing for me is not really worth it at this time.

Scolari
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:08 am  Reply with quote

I reloaded for many years but don't anymore. The rule of thumb for me was that it never did pay for me to load target shells. The real savings was in heavier specialty hunting loads. Since I rarely hunt anymore, a box of heavy hunting shells could last me all season. Thats why I quit reloading. If i wait for sales, I can buy 1 oz shells cheaper than I can reload them.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:14 am  Reply with quote

For me, the freedom reloading affords me outways the cost factor by a wide margin. Where else can I get good 16 ga. 3/4 and 7/8 ounce target and small bird loads regularly? Where else can I get a load in any shot weight and reasonable velocity I want, when I want it?

I will go so far as to say, that if it was not for reloading, I would not be a 16 gauge fan. Without the ability to reload, I'd be stuck with whatever the ammo manufactures care to offer me. In the case of the 16 ga, that can be downright skimpy. I am able to use my 16 to my best advantage for any reasonable application only because I do reload.

I'm also very jealous of my freedom and independence. It's nice to be able to say "kiss my patoot" to those ammo manufacturers who have given the 16 short shift or who try to squeeze me for outrageous sums for a box of shells. I do not need them.
nutcase
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:36 am  Reply with quote

TJC

Desperate times call for desperate measures. And unless your desperate for a new hobby I'd say its time to bring out the big guns. Ammos cheaper and easier to find and more than adequate for shooting at flying hunks of clay. A new gun if required is less messy and will take up less room.

I went out and bought a new Rizzini for $1,200.00. Has the same dimensions as my 16ga Rizzini and weighs a 1/2 pound more. Which for clays I would consider a plus.

Sometimes the path of least resistance is also the better path.

woodcock
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:08 am  Reply with quote

Different strokes to be sure------but I'm with GG.
MGF
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:42 pm  Reply with quote

For me space, would definitely be a challenge. Four rooms: Living room, kitchen, bedroom, bathroom. Three closets in the apartment and a storage cubicle in the hallway. Two of the three closets are already dedicated to to sporting and outdoors clothes, gear, boots, shells and my tools. Flats also now stored here and there under furniture and whatnot.

Plus there's time. Already work 55 to 60 hour week. Being single, that leaves about a day for life's chores, and a day for the range.

Like someone said, different strokes. Speaking of work...time to head there.

Good shooting, all.
Hunter&Hound
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:50 am  Reply with quote

Prices are inching up here. I picked up 2 bags of #7 shot for $30/bag. It's still not too bad compared to some prices I've been hearing.