16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Non-Tox shot review
chiendog
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:23 pm  Reply with quote

Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I've combed through the various posts on nontox 16 gauge ammo and figured it may be worth it to do a bit of a review of the current situation as best I can figure it out. I should also add that I am in Canada, American mileage may vary.
So, here we go:

Steel: Plenty around but that don't do my Sterlingworth any good. Prices seem to be going up and up as well.

Bismuth. Seems that the company making the stuff is now belly up. Factory made shells and shot for reloading are scarce and getting scarcer. None to be found in Canada as far as I can tell. Will the product ever be back on the market?

Tungsten-Matrix: I called the Canadian Kent distributer but they were pretty fuzzy on the details. Seems it is still in the catalogue (#4's and #6's) but they would have to order it from the US and I would have to leave an arm and part of a leg for a deposit.

Hevi-shot. Available but then again, neither the Sterlingworth nor the Darne would like me in the morning.

Now here is something interesting. Seems that there is a new Hevishot that is safe for classic doubles. Apparently there will be a 16 gauge 1 0z #5 shot offered. Is this real or just a pipe dream?

From the Hevishot site http://www.hevishot.com/home.html

ENVIRON-Metal, Inc. Introduces HEVI-Shot® Classic Doubles – Safe for Vintage Guns!

ENVIRON-Metal, Inc., makers of HEVI-Shot® high performance shotshells, announced today a new line of shotshells incorporating pellets that are designed and optimized for the softer barrels of classic sporting shotguns.

Until now, waterfowlers hunting with classic firearms (older fixed-choke and vintage guns) risked barrel damage unless they used soft Bismuth pellets from Bismuth Cartridge Company. Compared to pellets used in Bismuth ammunition, the new pellets in the HEVI-Shot® Classic Doubles products are:

• Denser – for knockdown power at greater range
• Stronger – to retain pellet shape under set-back ignition forces
• Softer surface hardness – for greater safety in older firearms
• Deeper penetrating because they don’t deform
• Higher Performance – with each shotshell buffered and sealed to ensure World Record patterning and penetration.

ENVIRON-Metal V.P. of Sales and Marketing, Ron Petty, believes this set of advantages will quickly make the new products popular with waterfowl and upland bird hunters. “We think the owner of a classic gun will find these shotshells superior in performance and value to any alternative on the market today,” he said. “Price points will be comparable to those of our other HEVI-Shot® waterfowl products.”
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:21 pm  Reply with quote

This bears watching. It would be nice if it becomes available for those of us that reload. Does anyone have a reliable source of information at Ballistics Products since they are a distributor?
berg
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:32 pm  Reply with quote

And to top it off, Hevishot has a rebate program going on. Buy 2 boxes (of 10 shells each) and you can get a whole $5 back. Gee, that is enough to buy 2 more shells.

berg
Golfswithwolves
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:24 pm  Reply with quote

I consider this good news, although the shells are likely not to be cheap! But I'd rather shoot my older guns than any of the new steel-safe ones that are made these days, as long as I can afford to do so.

woodcock
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:47 am  Reply with quote

You may also wish to consider NICE SHOT available from ecotungsten. Certainly not cheap but another alternative. Purportedly safe for older guns.
chopper
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

I sent a note over to the Hevi-Shot guys late last night and got a very quick reply.

"Brad,
I do apologize but they won't be available until spring of 08.
Stay tuned to the website and we'll announce when the first shipment rolls
out the door!"
Sad

Good news is they have a production schedule. Wink

Chopper