16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  It was a Grand day....
bustingclays
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:17 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

I went down to Sparta to the Grand today - they were shooting doubles this morning. I did not shoot, but shopped Wink and here is a report:

1 - not a box of 16 ga ammo nor wads did I find Crying or Very sad (not that I expected any)

2 - saw ONE 16 ga gun a Win Model 21 that was $6500+ and not in the best shape

On the other hand I got a nice upland shooting shirt (blaze trim) in the Beretta store and a really nice pair of upland slacks in the Beretta ($25 each) store.

Picked up some STOS lube in the tube and bottle for the guns.

Spoke with Downrange about 16 wads (many had before me). Picked up 28 ga and 410 ga samples. Price for 16 ga mold too much.

THANKED Mike Graf for my 10,000 gualandi 16 ga wads and 10,000 gualandi 20 ga wads. Mike shared a laugh about the 16ga society and the paper hull failures (I have 5000 of these too) after 5 reloads (he read our discussion).

Got a 410 standard calibration ring for my Boremaster (purchased at the vintage sxs shoot in Chicago this year). Thanked Bob and Jim (they remembered me).

And for maybe some really big news, I got the business card of the President of J-Ron Inc. Custom Injection Molding (Claybuster) who told me in front of witnesses (who probably won't testify Wink ) that Claybuster might be able to make a smaller size mold (minimal wads/mold) for 16 ga wads if we would be interested in a product that might cost a little more (not sure what the price rise would be) and larger orders.

can't wait to go back to shoot sporting clays at this facility when it cools down this fall and for the Grand again next year...

Dr. 16 Gauge
fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:40 pm  Reply with quote

Doc,

Sounds like a great day; hope you enjoyed every minute of it!

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:54 pm  Reply with quote

No custom trunk case for that 3 barrel Sterly?! Wink

grouse gunner
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:16 pm  Reply with quote

Hey bustingclays, were you ever at the Grand back when it was in Ohio? I live within a manageable drive to the former site and treated myself to a shopping and gaping visit every few years, but have not done so since the move to Sparta.

I'm wondering if the vendors are now as complete and numerous as they were at Vandalia. I heard that the vendor representation was not even a shadow of it's former Ohio self the first year after the move. Has it made a recovery? I don't shoot trap, but it sure made for an enjoyable trip just for the complete line up of venders and services available. I sold a gun on one trip, always learned about lots of others, had some smithing done and scored some Boyt cases and good books for 1/2 price once.

If I knew the vendor area was as good as it used to be I'd make the trip again, even though it's a much farther drive now.

What do you think?
bustingclays
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:41 pm  Reply with quote

Drew - I looked, but no three barrel hard cases (except Americase) and I am good for now Wink

Grouse Gunner - The only stop I ever made in Dayton was not for the Grand so I don't know. I did pretty well last year shopping at Sparta and saw a similar number of venders, but more organized, this year. I do have friends who have been to a lot of Grands - I will ask them and let you know.

The restaurant in the back of the main building has changed to the 17th Street bar/Grill and the bbq and service was outstanding (it was nice and cool in there too).

One thing I can say is that after I shopped in at the Grand I also drove on south and I stopped in Sparta to have a look-see and found a brand spanking new Holiday Inn Express there (completely full) and in the Super WalMart a man was unloading the FOURTH tractor trailer load of 12 gauge shells since the Grand opened. Things were looking up in town.

On that note, we observed that the WalMart prices were less than at the Grand (2 miles away) and that there were no 1 oz loads left (smart shoppers). No 16s in sight (I checked a lot of cases.

Dr. 16 Gauge
Mod 97
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:49 pm  Reply with quote

My Pa returned from the grand at about 2:00 this morning. We chatted on the phone while he was driving back.

He was very disappointed in the number of vendors and their inventory in relation to what used to be in Vandalia. He has gone every year for about 15 years or so. He doesn't think the Grand will thrive, maybe not even survive, if they keep it in Sparta.

Bummer. I went to Vandalia twice - 1995 and 96 - and it was a lot of fun to see the HOF and all the vendors.

NR

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:22 am  Reply with quote

I also went to the Grand. I pimped downrange and claybuster for a 16 gauge wad. They both said it may be a possibility, but claybuster seemed more open to the idea. I also stopped by the Ceasar Guerini store and pimped them for a SxS, or 16 gauge, or best of all a SxS 16 guage. They had a good chuckle and said a 16 gauge may be a possibility. They have been looking at the possiblility but the trap gun project has been their focus. What stuck out in my mind was that they said they "did not want to canibalize their current 20 and 12 gauge market." We just need to keep at them! Very Happy

I did get some 16 gauge wads from Mike Graf. I called in advance and had him bring them there so I could save on shipping and handling. He also gave me some new 1 1/8 wads to try out that he just brought into the country because he had room. I thought they may make a nice 1 oz spreader load for those darn ruffed grouse here in Michigan.

Brian

bustingclays
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:25 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Brian:

When I spoke to Mike he mentioned that he had delivered some 16 ga wads - congrats.

Dr. 16 Gauge
brdetr
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:20 am  Reply with quote

Bustingclays,

Thank you! Just trying to save my pennies due to the rising cost of lead. Shocked Mike is a good laid back guy willing to do what he can to help us out. I would have also liked to get some 2 1/2" cheddite hulls, but they are out of stock. The Grand is a great time and I can't wait to get back there next year!

Brian

jrothWA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:26 pm  Reply with quote

the Winchester Manager about 16GA wads. He smirked and said no further componets available pushing the 12/20's only.
This was two weeks before the first ReCob order for Remington.

I hope that TURKEY, got reamed for not increasing the bottom line