16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  is the model 37 Ithaca on life support?
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:13 am  Reply with quote

I was recently browsing an older copy of ShotgunSportsand stumbled into an article about the Ithaca 37. The author refers to it as the timeless pump design.

I agree. I think my 16 ga versions are the best pump guns I've ever owned--slick, quick, light, and handy. The biggest plus is the gun will handle any load I care to put through it and can put 5 shots down range as fast as I can shuck and shoot. This means I can shoot anything from my 5/8 ounce wimpmeister loads to a full 1-1/4 ounce bad day rooster hammer without any functioning issues. That is something no 16 ga. autoloader will ever be able to do with 100% reliability in all likelihood.

In short, I can load a high speed 7/8 ounce load of #6 or 7 shot for the in close shot on a pheasant over dogs and progress through a full magazine tube to the heaviest back up loads for that final, almost out of range coupe de grace without the gun choking on the ammo it must digest.

Yes, the double gun will also shoot anything reasonable you can fit into the chamber. And yes, it will do it at least as fast as any pump gun ever made. However, we have all had those days when one or two more loads than a double gun will have on tap might have brought home the bird. I can shuck and shoot a Model 37 faster that I can reload any double I own. And yes, I've had those days when a third or even a fourth shot would have been very handy. Poor shooting aside, I've been through more than a few times when it took two shots to down the flusher, only to have a second or third bird go up from under my feet. Who wouldn't trade their double for a pump gun right then?

But, I wonder how timeless the Model 37 really is. There are far cheaper pumps available. None are nearly as good IMO, but pump and inexpensive seem to be joined at the hip when it comes to the shuck-o-matic today.

Has anyone heard any news about the ongoing efforts to manufacture the gun? Is the newest company to take the business on still alive, or is the 37 destined for the history books? Let us know what you know. Thanks.
rhillen
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:01 pm  Reply with quote

I have not seen a new one in quite a while. I bought one about 4 or 5 years ago. It just didn't handle like one of the older guns, It was heavier and thicker through the wrist. It was nice looking 16 ga, had a vent rib and screw in chokes. I sold it after about a year. I have a real early one now, 16ga, 28" plain barrel with a mod choke, it's one of my favorite hunting guns. It handles real nice, weighs 6 1/4 pounds.
southpaw02
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:21 pm  Reply with quote

Apparently the newest Ithaca GunCo.. is having its problems . But this is typical of a company that is starting basically from scratch. And I really hope they plan on making some other models besides a pump gun. This is just MHO.

The newer models have a little more weight due to the materiel required for the screw in chokes and the wood as well.

I spoke to some one in Ohio a few months ago and was told that they would have the 16 & 20 this fall. But this conversation was in early March. And I have not had the chance to follow up on this.

I have to agree that the model 37 is by far one of the better pump designs available today and I would love to see a new one. and I look forward to seeing them soon.
Lefty Dude
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:25 pm  Reply with quote

Last year I spoke with the new owner of the Company. I was very interested in a 37/16. He stated they could make one for me with the parts they bought and moved to Ohio. He also told me the 16 gauge was the piece that they had the most request for. I could have my choice of stocks, barrels plain or VR, screw in chocks & etc. It was about that time I found my 870/16 Wingmaster made in 1966 in near perfect condition for $225.00. So I put the 37/16 idea on hold for now.

I believe there focus was to first get a tactical piece in production first in 12 ga. for law enforcement. That was over a year ago, things may have changed by now.

I think if I had a choice between a new 37/16 and a new Browning BPS, I would go for the 37/16. I can't believe I just typed the last sentence. Embarassed

http://www.ithacagunsusa.com/
Grousen
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:04 am  Reply with quote

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=115082

This topic has been discussed this week on shotgunworld with some interesting comments. It's my understanding the Marshall family has recently either sold Ithaca but remain involved in the production, or have obtained new investors. Being the eternal optimist when it comes my sentimental favorites, I am looking forward to buying their new M37 in the smaller gauges, but especially a 20 gauge M37 deer gun with a fully rifled barrel.
16'er
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:55 am  Reply with quote

Having another product to offer would help them out in the market. It does have to be someting they could sell a good quantity of to help them out. If they could make a 16/20ga and 28/410 single barrel frame and offer decent quality they could probably sell some of these. Not sure of what price point would get you a small bore single new with a decent rib and a bit of american hardwood but they might be able to sell a few. No hammer and top lever would set them apart from the "cheap" guns.

They then might be able to take one of these frames and adapt it to a single shot hunting handgun. Tough competetion there from thompson and smith, but with the cross over frame they might keep the price low enough to be a fair chance in the market.

Basically if they are going to sell guns they have to know the potential customers. Most of gun sales are to people who already have a gun collection. If they continue to offer only the 37 then they are missing out on sales. There are simply too many used M37 guns on the market for the new company to "compete" against price wise.

Not sure if a single would be the answer, but iat decent quality it would fill a void in the market. There seems to be too much competition in the double or auto market for them to make much headway there.

I hope they can make a go of it.
budrichard
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:13 am  Reply with quote

Purchased a 16 M37 NOS from Craig Marshall with upgraded wood. If you did a search you would have found the information.
In short didn't lke the wood, Craig replaced the wood with an acceptable piece. Pictures are on this forum I believe. Sold gun to another Forum member looking for one. Forum member was satisfied
The service and customer relations from Ithaca, Craig and everyone were superb.
The problem other than whatever start up problems from my prespective is that Ithaca didn't have a good source of wood which is common to many firearm manufacturerers today. I will not order any Custom Remington's because of the quality of wood that the 'Custom Shop' has at thier disposal.
The use of screw chokes and whatever has caused an increase in barrel weight but this is across the industry except for Remington where thier 'Light Contour' barrels have actually decreased in weight. Ordered a Rem 'Premier Grade' 870. Wood was lousy, cheap etched markings and actually was too light for 3" loads with the 'Light Contour' barrel. Told dealer to sell gun for me which he did and put money towards new Browning T2 HB with Leupold 3x9 EFR scope.
I thought I had posted on this forum the weights of the 16 M37 barrels.
My suggestion is, if you are interested, give Craig Marshall a call. He is approachable, and has the right direction for Ithaca.
He has a 28 gauge M37 on the drawing boards, something Ithaca has never made. told him I would order one with Exhibition wood and real engraving but needed approval of the wood and engraver/engraving.
I have stopped ordering bespoke guns because its been hit and miss and now only order a finished gun that I have actually inspected or can obtain for a 3 day inspection. This worked very well with CSMC lately and one of thier 'Baby Frame' 21's. Told Craig he really should visit Tony's operation and learn about wood. Tony supplied a beautiful piece of Exhibition American Black Walnut on the 'Baby' 21 and the exhibition piece on my RBL is also outstanding.-Dick
Haiwee
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:58 pm  Reply with quote

I can only say I really hope Ithaca makes it. This is a venerable old gun company whose claim to fame, the M37, is one of the finest guns ever manufactured. A steel shot-ready 16 would be pleasurable in the blind, and a frame-specific 28 would be a great dove and quail gun.
jig
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:17 pm  Reply with quote

I also love the 37. It was the best shooting 16GA I've yet experienced.
I killed more birds and clays with that 16GA 37 than any other gun I've ever owned. And, now I know where a lonely one in superb condition has been sitting for more than 1 year. Its at a shop not far from where I live in 16GA. It is priced at $400.00. I want to buy it and was going to, until I ran into this 12GA Guild gun yesterday for 200 bucks. On it's tag it said "Chinese made 12GA double. I knew it was a once in a lifetime opportunity so I guiltily grabbed the Chinese gun and fled before they realized what they had. can't help but laugh at their misfortune, but hey ignorance is bliss.
Money is tight around here lately and its hard to feel too guilty right now.
But yeah, I really would like to get that 37 and will at the next possible opp.
This guy aint dumb though and the 400 buck price tag is about the upper end it could be.
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:40 pm  Reply with quote

Ah, jig: You forgot to mention just where exactly that 37 is located? Wink

Matt
Grousen
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:41 pm  Reply with quote

I just this past Saturday received a call from my FFL dealer, from whom I had ordered a new, made in Upper Sandusky, Ohio, M37 early this year, to expect the gun in about a week. He also wanted the correct spelling of my name as Ithaca is engraving names of those customers on a complimentary Buck knife for those buyers who have been patient and are still committed to buy a new Ithaca 37. My gun is one of the first 23 upland 37's made in Ohio. I actually stopped by Ithaca early this year and was shown the upland 37's already made but awaiting butt stocks.

I really loved the earlier Ithacas, made prior to about 1969, especially my two solid rib 16's made in 1950 & 1952. But by the mid 70's Ithaca's cost cutting measures in my opinion made them less desirable. I have no idea how the 37's quality went after that. But these made in Upper Sandusky, Ohio on CNC machinery sure do look great. I've been told Ithaca will be working on the 20 gauge next, then their 16 gauge 37's after that.
jrothWA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:30 pm  Reply with quote

Good to hear!

Now if I can get some Bismuth for my two, 1954 16ga & 1986 12ga.