16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Advantages of a 16ga
nj gsp
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:13 pm  Reply with quote

Gee I live in NJ too, and I couldn't even tell you where a game preserve is.

Lots of public land here stocked with pheasants and quail by the state. Grouse are plentiful in PA and NY, but increasing scarce here in NJ. Although I understand that Cape May County is a woodcock mecca, and there a ever-increasing populations of wild quail in Salem county.

At any rate Covey, I would suggest you call or e-mail Belleplain Supply (http://www.browningguncenter.com) & see what they have. I know they had a new Browning Citori Lightning in 16 ga. a few weeks ago, which would be a little over your price range. They gets guns in all the time, so it can't hurt to give them a call.

And I should also mention that he had several new Brownings in 16 gauge...

Last edited by nj gsp on Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
TJC
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:21 pm  Reply with quote

There are a number of preserves here in NJ. A few more down towards central and southern NJ and a couple up north here.

Check the game compendium and they list most of them.

J&G is right outside of Hackettstown, there are a couple down around Ringoes and Hightstown.

Check out www.newjerseyhunter.com and you will here about some of them and if you ask, you'll get all kinds of answers.

jrothWA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:06 pm  Reply with quote

something in a SxS, recommend trying the following:
Jaqua's out of Findlay, ohio
& Vintage guns .com

Both sites allow gauge search, they both have some 16's

Best of luck, welocme!
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:07 am  Reply with quote

Whether you pay out of your own pocket to either hunt birds who have spent their first several month in an enclosure or the state has released birds that have been raised in a similar fashion, most people on this board can consider them to be "preserve" birds. Some people claim these preserve birds when released for several weeks can revert to a "wild" state but the genetic makeup for pen raised birds are totally different than their wild cousins. Being able to survive in a close proximity along with being the first one at the feeding area while a wild birds main concern is not being breakfast for the next predator. A 28 gauge is more than enough under most conditions for preserve birds where wild birds need to be chased with more firepower depending upon time of the year and weather conditions.
jig
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:34 am  Reply with quote

Another tack you might take is to scoure all the used gun and pawn shops for a Belgian (or french) Guild Gun. In the last year, I have run into 3 of them that were all in great shape, very light and reasonably priced (in your budget) the first two, I missed out on because I hesitated and they were gone when I came back in to buy them. Last week, I ran into one for 200 bucks and it was labeled as a "Chinese gun". I laughed when I saw it but at the same time I was very excited. I didnt really have the money to buy it but knew it was a once in a lifetime opportunity - so I did anyway.
It is turning out to be the best used SXS purchase I've ever made. Its beautiful to look at and performed great for me on 5-stand yesterday. The gun is sub 1924. Its got modern dimensions, like many european sxs's have, even at older vintage. American sxs's have always proven a bugger for me because I can't shoot them well. That is due to the fact they all (most) have way too much drop at comb and heel for me to make a smooth transition to - and I'm not willing to re-learn shooting techniques it has taken me 40 years to get good at. Go find yourself a Belgian Guild sxs. They are inexpensive for what you get - the best value you can really find in a hand made vintage sxs in today's market. I think that will change someday, so you better hurry. only possible problem with the guild guns is that you kind of have to know a bit about what constitutes a good (well crafted) sxs before you buy one. That is a whole nuther ball game and took me some years to learn too. Read some books and hang out on this site and others, and you will learn all the stuff to make educated vintage sxs purchases. Be careful though, when the bug bites its tough to shake. It can cost you in many ways. Or, just save your money until you can afford a Merkel 1620 and call it good. in the meantime, buy that cornshucker and be happy. Ithaca Model 37's are everywher in 16GA and usually under $400.00. They are light and shoot like death rays.
up-hunter
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:51 pm  Reply with quote

I think if your looking new you could check out lion country supply i beleave the uggies in grade 1 and 2 are at the top end of your price range but are nice well made guns, probably the best new gun in your price range.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:13 am  Reply with quote

I just bought an Uggie grade 1 16ga. so I could have a chukar gun I won't worry about too much, and also it's a blank slate to have engraved at some point, without the worries associated with messing up classic guns. I will have it delivered this week. I'll post my impressions afterwards.
MGF
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:02 am  Reply with quote

CoveyRise, be careful what you wish for. A couple years ago, I had a mild interest in the 16. Now there are two O/Us and a SxS in the safe, and I'm bunghole deep in flats of practice shells and have about a 3-year supply of hunting shells laid in. There's also one of the Browning pump guns in 16 on order. Guess I bit the forbidden fruit...and it was good! (And along the way I even picked up a Win Model 42. WTF?)

Haiwee, I found one of the NIDs in nice shape and can point you in the right direction. But I will not give you the combo to my safe! Smile

TJC, from what I've read, you are a shameless shell whore and need a good beatdown every now and then! Razz (Hope the knee's getting well.)

CoveyRise, be careful of these men. They are a bad influence. Your savings account will no longer be measured in dollars. It will be in walnut and blue steel and flats of shells. Wink
TJC
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:12 pm  Reply with quote

MGF wrote:
TJC, from what I've read, you are a shameless shell whore and need a good beatdown every now and then! Razz (Hope the knee's getting well.)

Yes I am and proud of it. Wink

Knee is doing really well. It's ready to start climbing trees next week for the early bow season for deer. Very Happy

hunshatt
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:03 pm  Reply with quote

What , now theres a early "beau" season????? Shocked Shocked Shocked
You creatins in Jerzy should find better things to do with your time....
Of course that would explain alot of the pits behaviour to the slab. Wink

Picked up the only flat of 16's at the local dicks, though I don't know why. Oh yea, to feed them to you so I can kep the rst's for myself

TJC
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:58 pm  Reply with quote

Early season starts next Sat, the 8th. Unlimited does in the areas I hunt. One buck through Oct. Then the extended season starts.

Don't be hiding all those PAPER RSTs. I expect at least a box to try out in the ole Sterly baby. Wink

But I'll take another flat of RGLs too. Very Happy

sprocket
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

hunshatt wrote:
What , now theres a early "beau" season????? Shocked Shocked Shocked
You creatins in Jerzy should find better things to do with your time....
Of course that would explain alot of the pits behaviour to the slab. Wink

Picked up the only flat of 16's at the local dicks, though I don't know why. Oh yea, to feed them to you so I can kep the rst's for myself

Ive been touring university "lab" space - today I saw comic with a professor receiving a large dog - the caption read, "You ordered a large Lab and here he is..."

Couldn't help but think of the WonderSlab(r) Smile
TJC
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:51 am  Reply with quote

Sprocket,

You missed the lobsterfest at Scarborough. The dog known formerly as Slab is now known as:

SWAMPDOG

ROGER OVER UNDER
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:40 am  Reply with quote

This thread gets the award for most entertaining, nothing to do with question, widely ranging, most confusing, hilarious bunch of words ever.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:03 am  Reply with quote

I second that.