16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Sporting Clays today - Nilo Farms
bustingclays
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:16 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

Drove (40 minutes) up to Brighton IL to shoot at Nilo Farms in the Trails West Council (Boy Scouts) fundraising sporting clays event.

Pulled up and one of my friends went into the skeet house and came out with 5 boxes of 16 ga winchester super x ammo (1 oz 8s) for me - they know me here. Most of the shooters shoot 12 ga and they have cases of shells at each station - if you wish something different they usually have it, but you must carry it. Small price to pay to shoot a 16 in my book Wink .

Loaded up my new Rugged Gear cart that I won in the silent auction at the National Classic sxs festival at Northbrook back in April. Cart was awesome - will use again. Carried my shells, small cooler of water, my gun, etc.. easily Very Happy

I shot my 16 ga grade III sissytori with 26 inch barrels and Briley extended IC and LM chokes.

I shot pretty well - ran three stations (8, 8, and 10 birds) and at most of the others only dropped 1-2 birds per station. Sure is frustrating when you break all but the last bird - happened 3 times today. I missed the "wascally wabbit" twice by shooting at the slow-roller at 8 yards and blowing a 6 inch hole in the ground just in front of the wabbitt. I have to remember to let him get out there. The second report bird at this station was a crossing quail and I broke them all so at least "I would have quail for dinner" Wink

After the first flight they posted the scores while we ate lunch and I had broken 80 birds and I was tied with three others for 8th. The top score was a 93. About 75 shooters in the first flight. More in the afternoon after lunch.

I was fed all I could eat of fried chicken, ham with pineapple, salad, bbq beans, corn, rolls, and soda.

All this fun for $100 - proceeds to the scouts Very Happy

Wore my 16 ga society pin on my vest and had my 16 ga society bag on my cart - nobody from this group stopped me. I did not see another 16 ga gun Sad

maybe next year....

YUP - saved the empties Exclamation Collecting hulls is my third hobby behind shooting and reloading Wink The Rugged Gear cart has a mesh hull bag on the back - works perfectly.

Last edited by bustingclays on Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Dr. 16 Gauge
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:09 pm  Reply with quote

bc---sounds like you had a good time----you saved the empties I hope Razz Razz