16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Citori Fails to Fire
USAFA 71
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:58 am  Reply with quote

My 16 ga Citori was purchased new last year. Having a 12 ga also, I had very high expectations. I purchased two flats of Remington Game Loads to reload the hulls for targets with 7/8 or 3/4 oz loads.

You can imagine my disappointment when the bottom barrel started failing to fire within the first 100 rounds. It seemed to be the classic light firing pin strike, only on the bottom barrel. So back to Browning it went( I live 20 miles from the repair facility). Worked for maybe two boxes, and started again. Went to MidWest guns this time. They worked on it, but told me that Remington Primers were "hard", and that others were having the same problem. Having shot skeet leagues for several years, and having reloaded Remington primers for years in all the other gauges, this didn't seem logical to me.

So I switched ammo, and have shot Winchester, Fiocchi, and Nobel Sport with no problems. I guess that my gun just doesn't like Remington ammo. I have eliminated deep-seated primers, hard primers, bad firing pins, weak springs, and clogged firing pin channels as possible causes.

Can any one thing of anything else that may be causing the problem only with Remington ammo? I think I will try another box or two after dove season since I would like the hulls for reloading. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Or I guess that I could just stick with Win/Fiocchi/Nobel Sport ammo.
Lefty Dude
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:32 am  Reply with quote

I have had the same problem with RGL's. I have a half-dozen sitting on the bench with a light strike. it happens only on my right barrel of my SXS. I have no problem when I use my hand loads using WW primers or the WW 16 super X product.

I have heard the RGL's are made in Remingtons Mexico plant. Aquila I believe. Hulls are great, primers Suck Exclamation
mike campbell
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:32 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lefty Dude
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:26 pm  Reply with quote

I can go thru maybe a hundred rounds or more and then it happens. it is a very light hit. I will mic the rims of the Rimmys and WW's and see what the difference if any.

Thanks, Mike.
16's & setters
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:25 pm  Reply with quote

I have had the same problem, see my posting (Citori Problems) under General Discussions dated Monday Aug. 6th. The first time my gun started having the light hits was with Remington shells. It eventually started doing the same thing with other manufacturers; B&P, Fiochi, etc. All factory ammo.

The gun has been back to Browning a couple of times, the last time I sent it back I could see that the tips of the firing pins were breaking up. I am in the process of dealng with Browning on a replacement gun.

Mine was a Lightning Feather model, I don't believe you mentioned the model of your gun.
SageRat
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:08 am  Reply with quote

There have bee reliable reports of some of the Remington 20 ga. shells that failed to fire. Upon examination, it was apparent that the bottom of the case was dished in causing the primer to be further from the firing pin.

I saw this first hand with a friend shooting the same ammo. The dishing of the bottom of the case caused a very light hit on the primer. So, the explanation could easily be that the case plus a little shorter firing pin would mean no ignition.
mes228
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:09 pm  Reply with quote

Please read my post on the other Citori thread as I think I found the cause of my Citori misfires. Too long to post again here. It's very simple, it's free to try, and I think it will work for you. It did for me.
Scolari
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:02 am  Reply with quote

I puechased a new Citori 16 ga in 2003. Last year I noticed the second shot didn't always work. I took it to a Browning repair shot and they replaced a spring and has worked fine since. I shoot all brands of shells including Remington. Never had a problem with any of them.