PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:12 pm  Reply with quote

Got it
Love it

here's the new site

http://www.wingworks.biz/

Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:30 am  Reply with quote

huns
Thats a nice vest ! I like the shoulder straps and waist belt. Bet they really help divide the load up. Looks like plenty of room for everything too. Think Patrick is gonna buy himself one Wink Thanks for the link Very Happy
MGF
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:29 am  Reply with quote

Those do look like cool, highly functional vests. I wonder how they'd work without the sternum strap? For some reason, I've never liked sternum straps.
Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:46 am  Reply with quote

I bought one and see little difference with / without the strap. The waistbelt is the good thing Very Happy
hunshatt
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:53 am  Reply with quote

Capt Billy you use it yet? I gave mine a run on fri, preserve birds. Without the sternum strap, the straps tended to want to slide off, for me. I'm conna put the other set on. Of course there were `10 birds in it, so maybe that contributed

chorizo
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:06 am  Reply with quote

The vest was made for really tough, physical chukar hunting (lots of walking up and down hills, not a lot of shooting) so some of the features aren't required for an easy stroll. I like the sternum strap even on easy walks because the straps are always in the same place when I shoot.

Additionally, when you adjust/fit your vest you are supposed to simulate a load of birds and have bottles of water in the pouches. I have an older version and adjusted it that way. I started the day with an extra bottle of water in the back for the dogs and by the time I had some birds the dogs had finished the water. It seemed to ride better with a load.

I finally have ordered a new one with orange on it and going to give it a try next weekend if it gets here in time.

Another great vest is the bird n lite strap vest, especially for level ground walking. I have one and love it ( I just can't find the darn thing as we moved in the spring and it is buried in a box somewhere!!!!!!) so I ordered the wingswork vest in orange to use until I can find it. Link below:
https://www.uglydoghunting.com/vests_men.php

The vest is 3 or 4 items down the list on the page.

Last edited by chorizo on Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:22 am  Reply with quote

Hun
You was just overloaded with birds Laughing Its prolly only good for 8 / so !! Nope ain't had a problem with it
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:22 am  Reply with quote

Looks like just the ting for chukar hunting. I use a Filson strap vest which works fine, but with a full load of 6-8 chukars and water bottles, I've had a bird fall out on two separate occassions, usually while crawling under a fence or something similar. They don't seem to make the game bags big enough, or spill proof.
MGF
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:23 am  Reply with quote

Aww geez, another strap vest I'm going to have to "field test." I've been looking for the right strap vest for years. Have tried a bunch, including the Filson lightweight one. Am currently using the Cabela's "ultimate strap vest," and it's not bad.

Oddly enough, my favorite of the bunch was an inexpensive Ideal brown canvas one that I found in some little shop in the middle of nowhere. I wore it for nearly 10 seasons and it probably had another couple left, but I let a friend have it for his boy, who was just getting back into hunting after college.

I guess it just fit me right. I like the load to carry around around the lower back, not the arse, and this one just got the job done with little problem. Who knew a cheapie would do so well, or that it would be so hard to find again? I'd bet they don't make that model these days. Ain't it always the case. Will be ordering one of these Wing Works. The quest for the perfect strap vest continues.
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:30 pm  Reply with quote

I just can't fit another strap vest in the storage room. At not unless I get rid of the oil tank. I've been using the Quilomene vest for years and love it. Then, I ordered the Mother vest when they went on sale for half price.

What is it the old philosopher said ... " A paultry sum paid for something you don't need is like spending too much for nothing". I guess the old philosopher wasn't a bird hunter.

I also have the Upland Gear "Quail and Dove Caddy" a belt with 2 ample shell pouches, 2 water bottle holders, and a game bag large enough for 3 pheasants. Perfect for warm weather hunts, or a day at clays.

Anyone want to come out to Long Island and help me drag out that oil tank ? We don't need heat. We need more gear.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
chorizo
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:31 pm  Reply with quote

Prussian Gun Guy wrote:

Anyone want to come out to Long Island and help me drag out that oil tank ? We don't need heat. We need more gear.

Just have the wife put a couple of vests on and run around a little bit. No matter how light weight, I always sweat a little with mine on, so she should stay warm enough