16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Ohio made Ithaca 37 delivered today
Grousen
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:36 pm  Reply with quote

I just got a call from my local gun dealer telling me the Upper Sandusky, Ohio made Ithaca 37 I had ordered was delivered today. Yippee!!! I'll be picking it up tomorrow and will let you folks know how it looks.
Highcountry
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:01 pm  Reply with quote

Please do. Very Happy

hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:58 pm  Reply with quote

Remember to wipe the drool off as it will cause rust Wink Twisted Evil Very Happy Shocked
Grousen
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:02 pm  Reply with quote

I picked up my new Ithaca M37 made in Upper Sandusky, Ohio Friday at my local gun dealer's shop. Boy am I pleased I ordered this gun. The fit and finish of the metal and wood is extremely nice, and the figure of the wood far exceeded what I expected for their standard wood. One would think I had paid for upgraded wood. The engraving is no longer rolled/stamped. It looks as though it was laser engraved.

The only exception to the above fit and finish report is pertaining to their new vent rib. I really like that the rib posts are of one piece with the barrel stock. But looking down at the top of the rib, there is one screw that holds the rib down onto one of those rib posts, and it is standing a bit proud of the surface of the rib. When sighting down the barrel, it is noticed.

I'm sure there is a quick fix for this, and I am more than happy to give Ithaca the opportunity to make it right. My favorite bird hunting preserve is about a 1/2 hour drive from the Ithaca factory. In a month or so when I am at the preserve, I intend to drop the gun off at Ithaca for this one imperfection to be righted.

The overall impression I had of this Ohio made M37 is that it simply exudes quality. It is just downright gorgeous, and it is a pump gun I am proud to own. In regards to some of the comments I have read about the price of this gun, all I can say is that you get what you pay for. I also look at it as my sentimental investment towards what is important to me. I hope to have some pictures posted in about 4 days or so.

Also included with the gun was a letter of apology from Mr. Craig Marshall as to the delays in getting these initial upland 37's finished and shipped. But in an effort to show Ithaca's appreciation to those who had ordered these guns and had been so patient, Ithaca had also included a Buck folding knife laser engraved with the owner's name on one side of the main blade, and the serial number of his/her gun on the other side of the same blade. I thought this gesture of including a free engraved knife with each initial upland gun shipped this week was quite thoughtful on Ithaca's part, and I very much appreciate it.

No doubt about it, these guns have been truly upgraded, and their improved quality is quite apparent. As an Ithaca lover from the late 60's, I truly appreciate all that the Marshall family has done to keep this quality American gun company alive. I'm sure there are others that also truly deserve to be thanked as well, especially the new owner/investor(?). I'm sorry I didn't ask for his or her name so that I could give this thanks properly by addressing them by name.

So they will simply have to settle for the best way I can truly extend my appreciation, and that will be ordering a Model 37 in every gauge Ithaca makes in the future !!! Here's to wishing Ithaca Guns USA a long and successful run in the 21st century, and may Ithaca's name long be associated with quality firearms manufactured in the U.S.A.

Update- I did shoot the gun at the skeet field on Saturday, and it functioned flawlessly. In fact, the action was so slick and smooth I was very impressed by it. I think it is every bit as smooth and slick as both of my 16 gauge 1950 & 1952 M37R's are, which I wouldn't have dreamed as being at all likely.

By the way, many at the skeet club complimented me on the looks of this gun. One doesn't hear those often about pump guns.

Now if only I could function as well as this gun does !!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:48 am  Reply with quote

Great lookin gun Exclamation Its so nice for a change to read a post about someone getting an American made gun that does just what it was made to do Wink Yep , the statement "you get what you pay for" says it all and means no excuses for the bargin gun or having to make sure you use the correct ammo Rolling Eyes won't have to be a diplomat on the telephone either to get it serviced Laughing Enjoy your new "good old 37"
Flawaterfowler
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

Do you know if and when they will offer the 37 in a 16 or 20?

My grandfather had a 16 (which was stolen) and my dad had a 12 ... Ive 'permanently borrowed' my brother's M37 12 which was converted into a turkey gun...

Thinking of trying to find one in a 16, but I may be willing to spend the $$ to get a new gun that is compatable with nontox loads like steel and Hevi shot for duck hunting... plus choke tubes.

Wonder if they will offer a slug barrel as well...that would be a nice combo rig...
Grousen
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:12 pm  Reply with quote

Flawaterfowler,

Ithaca told me to expect their new 37 in 20 gauge to be available by late spring of 2008, then the 16's sometime after that. I know it's a long wait, but it will be worth it. I was also told deer barrels will be available at some point as well.