16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Savage Humpback
john555
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:46 pm  Reply with quote

Came across a Savage auto loader which appears to be a direct copy of an A-5 at the local gun store. The gun has Savage Arms marked on the barrel and Springfield Armory on the reciever. The price is reasonable and I am considering buying it and using it for a parts gun for my A-5s.

Anyone out there have any experiance with these Savages and perhaps know if the parts are interchangeable with Browning A-5s. Its chambered for sixteen gauge and has some pretty decent wood.

Thanks for your time
John
mdoerner
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:39 am  Reply with quote

The Savage is a clone, but not an exact copy. The extractors are incompatible between the Browning and Remington/Savage knockoff's.

If you like it buy it for what it is, a bad weather gun. Besides, the Savage 16 gauge is built on a 12 Gauge receiver, whereas the Browning is a true 16 gauge gun. So the 16 Gauge barrel on the Savage wouldn't fit inside the Browning receiver anyways. FWIW.

Mike Doerner

Last edited by mdoerner on Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Baden Powell
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:17 am  Reply with quote

Mike: Do you know if the Remington Auto-5 clones in 16 gauge were built on 16-gauge receivers? Thanks.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:52 am  Reply with quote

Buy it and keep it in one piece---if for nothing else but future trading material
mdoerner
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:57 am  Reply with quote

Baden Powell wrote:
Mike: Do you know if the Remington Auto-5 clones in 16 gauge were built on 16-gauge receivers? Thanks.

I think so, but I've never owned one so I can't be certain. If you have one, look for an extra "step" or "sleeve" at the chamber on the barrel to make it fit the bigger receiver. Also, if you can fit a 12 ga barrel in your 16 ga receiver, you know they're the same then. With the Savage 720, this is the case.

Mike Doerner
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:48 am  Reply with quote

Parts are not interchangable between the Savage and the Browning (FN) Auto-5.

There may be one or two exceptions like the recoil spring but other than that they are not compatable.

These guns were made undeer the same patents, that is it. different tolerances, dimensions materials etc.

Jeff
fin2feather
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:08 pm  Reply with quote

They're not bad guns; I still have my dad's 775 which is the later model with the rounded action back; still built under the Browning patent. It was the only shotgun I owned for many years, and it killed a lot of birds! You might like it as a backup gun, etc.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
dannypratt
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:29 am  Reply with quote

hey guys,
the Remington M-11 16ga is indeed built on a smaller frame than the 12ga. I've got one from '38 and it is a sweet handling piece. I believe from what I have found examing them myself that the 20ga. models are actually built on a 16ga. frame as you can actually put a 20ga. barrell on the 16ga. reciever & vice versa, but the extractors and bolts are not the same so they don't actually feed properly between the two gauges. DON"T TRY TO SHOOT THEM LIKE THAT however just for the hell of it you can work the action (unloaded of course ) by the barrell and you will find everything functions just fine.
-danny