16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Briley Chokes
pbr streetgang
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:49 am  Reply with quote

I would like to tighten up my choke for longer ranging birds. I use a trulock extended modified choke for just about everything and have good success with it. However, sometimes during certain waterfowling situations I would like a tighter pattern and I see that Briley has a number of chokes in between mod. and full. Does anybody have any experience them. They do not list their constrictions for the 16 gauge.
TJC
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:27 am  Reply with quote

I use Briley Thin Walls in one of my SxSs and they work fine. I use a Lt Mod quite a bit when shooting sporting clays. It works fine.

But if you already have TruLock tubes, why not order a TruLock Lt Mod which is their Skt2 tube? I use TruLocks in both of my citori 16ga.s with great results. Again I use a Skt2 tube from TruLock when shooting sporting clays.

Embarassed I went the wrong way on you, went less choke instead of more. I agree with the second poster, go to the IM. But I would still order a TruLock if you are already using them and are happy.

Last edited by TJC on Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:18 am  Reply with quote

Looking at the choke chart on Briley's web sight I find they give the same constriction to 12 or 16ga as the same. .020-mod, .025 -IM.030-LFull and .035 Full. For late season and ducks and geese I use the IM with TM and Bizmuth. It seems to work well for me.
Best,
Ron
pbr streetgang
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:51 am  Reply with quote

OK...little help here.
What is brownings full choke constriction in 16ga?
I looked on their website and it said they are set to industry standard. What is the industry standard?

Briley full = .035
Trulock full = .030

I am not trying to split hairs here but I do not want to spend $200 on chokes either.

I am shooting a sweet sixteen if this helps.

Thanks
TJC
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:24 am  Reply with quote

pbr,

What is the tightest choke you are using at present and brand? To compare oranges and oranges, I would stick to the same brand and just go tighter since that is what you were looking for.
I know both Briley and TruLock have Extra Full chokes. And then I believe that they go into the Turkey Fulls.

You stated you were looking for something between Mod and Full. That leaves ImpMod I believe.
Since you are using TruLock I think, and you want a tighter choke than your Mod and less than your Full, I would think that the TruLock Imp Mod would be your choice. Wink

Terry Imai
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:56 am  Reply with quote

For PBR:

What type of shot are you using?? I'm assuming that you're using either Bismuth or TM but it makes a big difference what type of shot you're using. Unlike the good old "lead" days, lead was great in that you could incrementally change your pattern by adjusting your chokes. Unfortunately, I'm discovering that some some of the non-tox is a little more sensitive to which constricttive of choking.
pbr streetgang
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:15 pm  Reply with quote

I mainly use Kent Tm #5's or Bismuth #4's (what I have left). The kent patterns real nice with the modified. Does anybody know what the invector full choke is (constriction)?
chopper
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:44 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry, don't know the browning choke constriction...

I just purchased a set of the Trulock for my Citori 16 and, FWIW I got them for $12 cheaper than the Briley extended. Went dove hunting with the IM and M Monday and went 8 for 10 to end the day. I'm very pleased with the quality and patterns that they shoot.

Brad
pbr streetgang
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:33 pm  Reply with quote

Well that solves my problem........
I just returned from Louisiana and the cast and blast went extremely well. Both the teal and redfish played up to expectations and it resolved my concern with chokes. Just stick to one like I always do....modified. It covers all bases without me worrying what I am shooting. Takes the guess work out of the equation. I covered the teal from long going away shots to landing in the decoys. The trulock as usual performed brillantly with the 1 oz bismuth. Thanks for all your input and good luck out there.