16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Ok, ok, ok.... an "introduction"
Dr. David Dabaco
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:03 pm  Reply with quote

Hello all!

Well, I tried to slip in the back door but got caught by some more "astute" individuals than I on this board. So, after some nudging from Prussian Guy and TJC, I guess I'd better introduce myself formally that is... --lol.

First off, the "Doc" part... You see I was having trouble registering and was just trying different versions of my name to see if I could get an email back to finalize my registration and... well that one just happened to work.

I really am a "Doc" as in Ph.D. and not a M.D. or V.M.D. My sister is the V.M.D. Soooo, I am afraid I am not going to be of any service to all you "head cases" on this BBS. In fact, I'll probably just make the situation much worse than it already is... My shooting friends call me "doc" (as is "Holiday") or the "professor" --both nicknames of "ill-repute" and referring to my bad "habits" and "vices."

Next for some "really" bad news. Sorry 16gaugeguy, but I am a Rizzini "winnie" and love my "spaghetti shotguns." Hell, I reckon that if Italians like Sergio Leone can teach us a thing or two about a good "western," why can't B. Rizzini teach us a thing or two about a good "shotgun?" (BTW: Mine don't have crooked barrels).

I am also the guy who procrastinated writing his doctoral thesis by creating the website "Spanishguns.com." But finally my wife and my advisor took away all my guns, waders, decoys and other hunt'in paraphernalia till I finished writing that damn thing. Unfortunately the website is now post mortem, but I might try and put the archives up --and fix a few things-- if I can find the time. I also did a little writing for Onstand.net. Its mostly B.S. --stuff you guys know much better than I. Here is the link if you are interested: http://onstand.net/dabaco/918/gun-fit-for-wingshooters

Now, Prussian Guy wanted to know what I shoot... Well, my main clays gun is a 12 ga Sigarms TT25 with 30" barrels. My Pheasant and dove gun is B. Rizzini Upland EL 20/28 ga. set with 28" solid rib barrels imported by William Larkin and Moore. I LOVE this gun. I also shoot a 12 ga. M30 Ugartechea, and a variety of autoloaders and slide action guns.

I currently do not own A 16 ga gun!!!! That is why I am here! After dabbling in a little bit of everything, I figured it's time to rise to the level of "gentlemen of your high quality and caliber" (no pun intended). Or to put it another way... I am feelin the call! [url][/url] Wink

I am thinking about a Fox, LCS Ugartechea Grade IV, a Merkel, or a B. Rizzini on the 16 ga. frame... or perhaps even (gulp) a Citori Feather. Just waiting on the right gun at the right price...

Here are some pics Prussian Guy...

That's my ugly mug on the left holding the 870.

My Rizzini Upland EL

My Uggie

Uggies rule!

My old Union Armera Consort

My old Fox AE SG (26" barrels were too short for me)

My first Spanish gun --a 12 ga. Urbiola SLE w/28" barrels

TJC
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:56 am  Reply with quote

Welcome Doc, nice intro. I think you'll find this place everything you DIDN'T expect. Wink

Foursquare
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:13 am  Reply with quote

Welcome "Doc".
As a Spanish gun addict, I'd love to see your website resurrected.

Pete
Nice guns, btw.

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:47 am  Reply with quote

Welcome Doc Exclamation
Glad you got one of them Rizzinies that ain't got crooked barrels Laughing Your line up of guns looks so clean. Don't you own any clunkers ? You surely need a few more 16's looks like to me. I see a hole in the bottom end of that goose Exclamation your not shootin em with slugs are you Smile

Last edited by Captain_Billy on Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:57 am  Reply with quote

Get another alloy-framed Rizzini.

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:02 am  Reply with quote

You weren't separated at birth from the other Dr 16g were you? Laughing (On the left)

hunshatt
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:35 am  Reply with quote

these guys will tell you i have nothing intellegent to add, so i won't. But look at that osbourne on the for sale page. If i hadn't just gotten my Karl, and didn't have the lc in for work, and the sauer and oh yea the 28 rasch that just followed me home, I'd be all over him for pic's.

BTW welcome

tim

Dr. David Dabaco
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:10 am  Reply with quote

Revdocdrew --Related to Dr. 16ga? Perhaps not in the "flesh," but more likely in "spirit"?

Captain_Billy --My Ugartechea is has been taking a beating. It looks new in that picture, but not anymore. In regards to the geese, there is a story to how those birds got shot up. See, that was our second trip to Alturas, CA with a great guide. But on the first day, with high hopes and lots of anticipation we only had a few real high birds come over on my side of the blind. I barely managed to pull down one bird using my Uggie and tungsten matrix #2. My buddy (the tallest guy in the photo) shot, but did not connect, and to be honest, the birds were a bit far --worst part was, that was it for the day. 4 guns, a day of hunting, and one bird. I had set the hunt up and the "hunting party" was starting to look more like a "lynching mob" if we didn't get some birds for everyone to take home.

So the next day, I decided we needed more fire power, so I put the Uggie away and brought out my 870 that I've hunted with since junior high school. My buddy brought along his Benelli and we loaded up with with 3" BBs and waited for those long shots, determined to bring down some geese. About 9 o'clock a flock came in again right over our side of the blind and worked in to the decoys real nice. When the guide called it, my buddy and I stood up and open up on those geese like a gun fight in the OK Corral. They were less than 25 yards away and about 12-14 ft off the ground. It was like shooting skeet at station #4 with cannons and the biggest clay targets you ever seen --complete carnage. Thus, the "holes" in those birds you referenced. The survivors came right accross the front of the boy and his dad (two great guys) and they emptied their guns but didn't manage to connect (don't ask me). Of the six honkers we shot, we let them take home four.

Foursquare --I will try and figure something out. Hopefully, its just a matter of reposting the pages on a url and doing some updating. The two main issues are 1) traffic (the site generated a lot traffic and required funding to keep it up, and 2) I need help maintaining the site and updating it. It became like a full time job and while I had people interested in advertising on the site, I just could not keep up with the work.
nutcase
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:48 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Dr. Dabaco!

Dr. David Dabaco wrote:
Next for some "really" bad news. Sorry 16gaugeguy, but I am a Rizzini "winnie" and love my "spaghetti shotguns." Hell, I reckon that if Italians like Sergio Leone can teach us a thing or two about a good "western," why can't B. Rizzini teach us a thing or two about a good "shotgun?" (BTW: Mine don't have crooked barrels).

I don't see this as bad news. Dr. you could give the shotgun gene pool around here a a badly needed boost. Your fellow weenies are counting on you. Smile

hunshatt
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:17 pm  Reply with quote

Darn Rev, I missed the dapper shooting apparel at first glance. Love the vest, is it custom sewn?

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:54 pm  Reply with quote

hunshatt wrote:
Darn Rev, I missed the dapper shooting apparel at first glance. Love the vest, is it custom sewn?

That was custom made for Drew by the little olfd ladies of the church auxiliary. And it was sprinkled with holy water for additional luck.

Hey Doc, welcome aboard. I've got a doctorate too... in love! No Tim, not Strangelove. I leave that to you.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
bustingclays
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:29 pm  Reply with quote

Dr. Dabaco:

Since revdocdrew sent my pic (I'm the one on the left in the bob allen "handsewn" vest Wink next to Mr. Hal Hare with the spiffy hat and knickers also a member of this group) I will say howdy and welcome.

I pm'd you to find out about the posthole digging degree and other pertinents.

As an owner of TEN 16 ga guns - WELCOME - you need one Exclamation (but can't have any of mine Wink ).

Dr. 16 Gauge
Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:03 am  Reply with quote

Hey Doc
Just noticed your in Lodi. Use to fish there during summer back in the 60's. Is it still the same place or are there gated golf communities with man made lakes full of little bass for all to enjoy ? Laughing Catfishing and crappie in the sloughs was a big one back then. Use to waterfowl hunt on the Delta too. Miss salmon fishing outta Berkley also. I was glad to get back here after I got educated but you always miss somethings. Very Happy
Dr. David Dabaco
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:51 am  Reply with quote

Captain: Lodi is still good for hunting and fishing, but not like it once used to be. I grew up hunting in and around Lodi and the population explosion suffered by California is destroying some of the best farm land, fishing, and hunting in the world. Local Salmon is way down due to river and streams being blocked or interrupted. In the Pacific Flyway, ducks and doves are barely holding their numbers and the game birds that are up are turkeys and geese. But the big issue is land. Land is getting harder and harder to find to hunt on and the national wildlife refuges are getting to be like zoos. Californias (those acturally born here) are getting rarer and rarer. Most people I meet my around my age (late 30's -early 40s) are either from out of state or from another country. At times, makes me wanna move out of the state or at least further up north.

Bustin and Prussian --Like the photo! I have read quite a few of Hal's posts both here and on the SS BBS.
Brian Meckler
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:58 pm  Reply with quote

Stuck in Lodi...again Laughing

Hmm I have heard that before ...