16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Fiocchi 16 ga hulls
1950casevac
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:51 pm  Reply with quote

I've been metallic reloading for awhile and now I'm interested in reloading for my 16 ga. How are Fiocchi hulls for reloading? Also, I'm looking for recipes - is my best source to contact Russ Grey (RWG) and the Low Pressure Reloading Group? I can get lead 16 ga., but I'm looking to reload what I can't find and that's no-tox for grouse/woodcock/ducks/geese (#7's to BB). Thanks in advance.
Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:05 am  Reply with quote

Yes , by all means get on board the 16 LPG. You'll get plenty of info Smile
Foursquare
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:42 am  Reply with quote

FYI,
Russ's mother just died so he will be MIA for about 2 weeks.

But to amswer your question, yes by all means join the low pressure group.
The Fiocchi, along with all the other straight walled hulls (Fed, B&P, Ched, etc) are more suited to heavier shot charges, with 1 oz being the practical minimum unless you want to fool with fillers.

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:41 pm  Reply with quote

I use the Fiochis for game loads -1 1/8 and the Remmy's for 3/4 oz skeet loads Wink With MY loader little adjustment is needed when swithching betwen the two Very Happy
Stolz
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:43 pm  Reply with quote

In 16 I have not used it yet. But in 20ga I could only load them once (new) shells, after the first shot the primer pocket was enlarged so that the primer fall out one a very few rounds (new one, first repriming). Fiocchi primers as replacements work for one shot more but then it is finish at all. (DN209) primers are a little bit smaler in dia. I do not load Fiocchi shells anymore that is waste of time.
311A 16ga
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:26 pm  Reply with quote

Fiocchi hulls.
Have and continue to reload lots of them in 16 gauge. Note on the primers, Fiocchi primers are slightly larger in diameter than US makes, I find that only the Win 209 stays in; makes a mess if after several reloads a Fed or CCI primer is used and it falls out!

Miss the no longer available 67mm Fiocchi hull for my 7/8 ounce target and hunting loads. Use a bulky powder for the 2 3/4 inch hulls, IMR 4756 works for me.
putz463
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:50 am  Reply with quote

[quote="1950casevac"]I've been metallic reloading for awhile and now I'm interested in reloading for my 16 ga. How are Fiocchi hulls for reloading? Also, I'm looking for recipes.....

welcome aboard! i roll crimp my Fiochhi's, purchased from BP, they work great for me. i use recipes from the lyman book and publications from BP. i hear nice shot reloads 1:1 like lead shot but have not tried it yet, plan to though. ditto on the win primers and 4756. hope this helps, mike

jschultz
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:23 am  Reply with quote

can be reconditioned with a tool used to resize the primer pocket. Tool may be purchased from Ballistic Products Inc. for $14.99 1-888-273-5623.
JAE 16
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:34 pm  Reply with quote

Hey 311a 16,
what load are you loading in the fiocci hulls? I cant seem to find one to use with win 209 primers. I am currently loading solo 1250 with a fiocci 616 in a 67mm fiocci hull. Can I sub the win primer for the fiocci. The load I have is off the lwp group, I just didn't see any for win primers in that hull.
The solo load is very dirty, was thinking of trying the sr powder. any suggestion greatly apprciated. I am try to keep it very low pressure, my elsie greatly appreciates it!!!
spr310
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:46 pm  Reply with quote

Here's a couple of loads for the Fiochi hull.

Fiochi 2 3/4" hull win 209 primer 23 grains 1250 powder Z16 BP wad 7/8 oz shot. 8500 psi 1300 fps.

Fiochi 2 3/4" hull win 209 primer 20.5 grains universal clays powder Z16 BP wad 1 oz shot. 8200 psi 1210 fps.
JAE 16
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:40 am  Reply with quote

Thanks, those look like nice loads. My only problem is I need to keep my pressure in the mid 7k to prevent damage to the stock on my oh so delicate elsie. I will keep searching.
Thanks again,
Jason
Keith_Rich
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:18 am  Reply with quote

I have been using the Fiocchi hulls for the past 3 years and they are just fine. I use Fiocchi primers in them.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:53 am  Reply with quote

JAE 16 wrote:
Thanks, those look like nice loads. My only problem is I need to keep my pressure in the mid 7k to prevent damage to the stock on my oh so delicate elsie. I will keep searching.
Thanks again,
Jason

Jason recoil is dictated by the weight of the shot charge in relation to velocity of the shot charge and weight of the gun. Chamber pressure has nothing to do with the amount of recoil generated except as it relates to velocity.

The best loads for your L C and for that matter any of the vintage side by sides should generate 17 foot lbs of recoil or less to protect those old stocks. Unless you are shooting a gun with Damascus barrels they should be able to safely handle chamber pressures up to 9000 - 9500 psi.

In comparison Spr310s 7/8th ounce load produces 17.4 ft lbs of recoil in the typical 6 and 14 lb gun while the 1 ounce load produces about 22.3 ft lbs of recoil.

Recoil calculation formula.

If you're interested in recoil you may calculate it for any gun with the following formula:

E= 1/2(Wr/32)(WbxMv+4700xWp/7000xWr) squared

E= energy in foot pounds
Wr= weight of gun in pounds
Wb= weight of whot and wad
Mv= muzzle velocity in fps
Wp= weight of powder in grains

This does not reflect FELT recoil with a recoil management device but does give accurate energy transfer at a solid butt plate.

Last edited by Twice Barrel on Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
steve voss
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:18 am  Reply with quote

Twice Barrel is correct about figuring recoil. I still like to keep my loads under 9000 psi to reduce frame flex which directly influences a gun's life expectancy. I run about 6-8k rounds thru' each of mine every year, so it's a big consideration for me.

sv
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:57 am  Reply with quote

Stolz wrote:
In 16 I have not used it yet. But in 20ga I could only load them once (new) shells, after the first shot the primer pocket was enlarged so that the primer fall out one a very few rounds (new one, first repriming). Fiocchi primers as replacements work for one shot more but then it is finish at all. (DN209) primers are a little bit smaler in dia. I do not load Fiocchi shells anymore that is waste of time.

Fiocchi primers are slightly bigger that standard American 209 primers by a few thousanths. I use Fiocchi 616 primers. I've not had any loose pocket problems even after 3 or 4 reloadings--which is about all they will take anyway. I find the Fiocchi hulls load very nicely for heavier hunting loads. I think the new 16 ga light load wad from Down Range will also aid folks in loading smaller shot loads easily enough. I'd not call them a waste of time if you load them correctly.