16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Fiocchi 16 ga hulls
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:41 pm  Reply with quote

steve voss wrote:
Twice Barrel is correct about figuring recoil. I still like to keep my loads under 9000 psi to reduce frame flex which directly influences a gun's life expectancy. I run about 6-8k rounds thru' each of mine every year, so it's a big consideration for me.

sv

Steve isn't frame flex a function of barrel flip caused by recoil?
steve voss
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:51 pm  Reply with quote

Twice Barrel wrote:
steve voss wrote:
Twice Barrel is correct about figuring recoil. I still like to keep my loads under 9000 psi to reduce frame flex which directly influences a gun's life expectancy. I run about 6-8k rounds thru' each of mine every year, so it's a big consideration for me.

sv

Uh oh, now we go to deeper water. Let me double check my source material this evening and I'll get back to you.

sv
JAE 16
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:59 pm  Reply with quote

Twice Barrel wrote:
JAE 16 wrote:
Thanks, those look like nice loads. My only problem is I need to keep my pressure in the mid 7k to prevent damage to the stock on my oh so delicate elsie. I will keep searching.
Thanks again,
Jason

Jason recoil is dictated by the weight of the shot charge in relation to velocity of the shot charge and weight of the gun. Chamber pressure has nothing to do with the amount of recoil generated except as it relates to velocity.

The best loads for your L C and for that matter any of the vintage side by sides should generate 17 foot lbs of recoil or less to protect those old stocks. Unless you are shooting a gun with Damascus barrels they should be able to safely handle chamber pressures up to 9000 - 9500 psi.

In comparison Spr310s 7/8th ounce load produces 17.4 ft lbs of recoil in the typical 6 and 14 lb gun while the 1 ounce load produces about 22.3 ft lbs of recoil.

Recoil calculation formula.

If you're interested in recoil you may calculate it for any gun with the following formula:

E= 1/2(Wr/32)(WbxMv+4700xWp/7000xWr) squared

E= energy in foot pounds
Wr= weight of gun in pounds
Wb= weight of whot and wad
Mv= muzzle velocity in fps
Wp= weight of powder in grains

This does not reflect FELT recoil with a recoil management device but does give accurate energy transfer at a solid butt plate.

I agree I do try to keep my shot down below 1oz to help reduce recoil on the gun. I still like to keep the chamber pressures lower than 8k.
steve voss
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

steve voss wrote:
Twice Barrel wrote:
steve voss wrote:

sv

Uh oh, now we go to deeper water. Let me double check my source material this evening and I'll get back to you.

sv

Ok, the best explanation I can find is McIntosh.* He says that that pressure levels and muzzle flip both affect frame flex. He doesn't come right out and say it, but the way it is written leads me to infer that pressure levels cause most of any frame flex compared to the effects of barrel flip.

For myself, I shoot primarily 3/4 ounce loads @ 1200 fps and 7000 psi for all targets and doves. My 7/8s and 1 ounce loads stay in that same range and the Pheasant destroying "Dolph" loads of 1.125 ounces of very hard #5s are 1250 fps @ 8400 psi.

sv

*Michael McIntosh, "More Shotguns & Shooting," p. 38
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:38 pm  Reply with quote

Ok, the best explanation I can find is McIntosh.* He says that that pressure levels and muzzle flip both affect frame flex. He doesn't come right out and say it, but the way it is written leads me to infer that pressure levels cause most of any frame flex compared to the effects of barrel flip.

For myself, I shoot primarily 3/4 ounce loads @ 1200 fps and 7000 psi for all targets and doves. My 7/8s and 1 ounce loads stay in that same range and the Pheasant destroying "Dolph" loads of 1.125 ounces of very hard #5s are 1250 fps @ 8400 psi.

sv

*Michael McIntosh, "More Shotguns & Shooting," p. 38[/quote]

Your/McIntosh's analysis are probably correct as the chamber pressure would work on the standing breach and the recoil would act upon the barrels causing them to deflect.

Our choices of loads are pretty close ballisticly, my Pheasant and Prairie Grouse load replicates the old Winchester Upland loading which generates a bit more pressure at 9500 psi.
steve voss
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:36 pm  Reply with quote

Twice Barrel, in the low pressure spread sheet under Fiocchi see my 3/4 ounce load with the pinto bean (which I've deleted) and Scott's Pheasant Slayer load (Dolph). They are wonderful.

sv
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:44 pm  Reply with quote

Steve I will take a look however I have been using my small stash of Winchester compression formed hulls for my hunting loads and Remington SPs and some Cheddite hulls for my target loads.