16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  3/4 oz, Unique, G1816 wad, Win Hull Load Data
WBDIV
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:01 pm  Reply with quote

Ive been trying to join the LPG for almost 2 weeks and haven't gotten a reply -- so I post instead.

I need some data for a 3/4 oz load with unique powder, g1816 wad (new activ g28?), in either a fiocchi or winchester game hull. I read the fiocchi is only good down to 1oz and I want to make my shot last as long as possible.

ETA: I found some data for the old activ g28 wad for a 1oz load -- 19gr of unique. I loaded some shells with that combination and some with 3/4oz with 18gr.
mike campbell
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:00 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
jchandler
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:37 am  Reply with quote

WBDIV

RWG who runs the LPG had a death in the family and thus hasn't been available to help. Should be back in 1-2 weeks.

Not a lot of 3/4oz data available. I think Mike is right with his suggestions for the Rem black game load hull and the Gualandi wad.

Jeff
WBDIV
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:33 pm  Reply with quote

I cannot get the rem game loads around here for less than $12 a box. I have almost a 1000 of win hulls. The hulls don't crimp very consistently but the price is right.

I loaded the 1oz load and it crimped fine. The 3/4oz's crimp dishes in with no hole in the center and a slight twist. Not as flat or quite as tight as the 1oz but it costs 25% less. I can't wait to see if it will pattern decently.

I read about RWG a while ago, I just really needed a load to try for trap this week -- I am out of factory loads.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:47 pm  Reply with quote

Add four or five grains of puffed wheat or rice (Unsweetened type) to fill the case to 3/8th inch below the case mouth and your loads will crimp look a lot better. Effective and bio-degradeable.
WBDIV
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:27 pm  Reply with quote

Does that change pressure any? Would you use a powder measure or a simple dipper?

I've never used any fillers before.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:10 pm  Reply with quote

I just drop them in with my fingers since only a few are required. They hardly weigh anything so they won't increase your chamber pressure more than a few psi. Probably not enough to measure.
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:13 pm  Reply with quote

Follow the trip I made to Canada I will be talking about the 3/4 OZ loads and not using any of the slow burning powders, using Rex 1 powders I think you will find the results interesting.

Regards Charles
RWG
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:27 pm  Reply with quote

3/4 oz loads are light for 16s. I agree with the others that a faster burning powder would perform better with such a load. Solo 1000, Nitro 100, International Clays, green dot, etc... Not the super fast burning stuff, but a good 12 ga. powder.

If you don't wish to use filler, trimming a 2 3/4" hull down to 2 5/8" should crimp just fine with a 3/4 0z load and the gualandi wad. Or if your press is set up for 2 3/4" only, then you could toss in an overshot card before crimping for a good hartin crimp. Many options here.
WBDIV
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:04 pm  Reply with quote

I patterned some loads tonight. I didn't count pellets, just checked for pattern density, looked for holes, poa vs poi, nothing very scientific.

The 3/4oz load of #9's with 18gr of Unique was even with no huge holes. A 7/8 load of #7.5's with 16gr of Unique (from LPG) was also even with no holes. And the 1oz load of #9's with 19gr of Unique was also good.

I shot some hand trap and all the loads dusted the clays to the best of my abilities from about 5 yards to 35 yards. My brother was doing the throwing and you never knew if you were going to be ducking or shooting, makes for exciting shooting. I prefer it to regular trap myself.

I loaded up some 3/4 oz 7's with 16gr of U for trap tomorrow, will see how they do on the longer shots. I ended up adding 1/8 TSP of rice to the top of the shot column to get a good crimp. That was decided to be easier than readjusting the final crimp die for every different payload.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:51 pm  Reply with quote

Try this one. an R16 1 ounce Remington wad with 2 .135" 28 gauge nitro card wads in the bottom of the shot cup over 16-17 grains of Green Dot. Drop in 3/4 ounce of #9 up to #7.5 shot depending on your target or quarry. Fold crimp as usual. Use any middle of the road primer like a Remington STS209 or CCI 209. Velocity will be between 1150 to 1300 FPS depending on exact powder charge. The load burns very clean and gives uniform pressures and velocities right across the board. Patterns are excellent. This load gives very short shot strings with no holes or patchiness. Deadly on quail and woodcock. Great skeet load as well. LOW, LOW recoil too. Enjoy
3crosses
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:46 pm  Reply with quote

Instead of puffed rice on top of shot try a cheerio loaded into wad first, then shot. Bet this patterns better.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:20 pm  Reply with quote

The only problem with using a fragile filler under the shot column is the extra pellet deformation that occurs on firing caused by the base of the wad slamming into the bottom of the shot column. That is why card wads are generaly used inside wads as fillers. May affect pattern - may not. Putting the filler inside the wad sure eliminates those little pieces of filler material from floating back and getting in your eyes.
WBDIV
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:06 pm  Reply with quote

I would like to use a filler wad in the shot cup, but at $8 for 250 that would double to triple the price of the wad. Rice seems to work fine for me. I've been using an 1/8 TSP measure cup to drop the rice in.

I think I am just going to make a .250 kit for my press and cut down the shells. That will be easier in the end as I have knocked over a shell or two in the process of dumping filler in them.
Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:50 am  Reply with quote

WBDIV
You could buy yourself a punch and punch out your own filler cards. I do this with an old punch thats on its 4 th generation ! Laughing Saves on rice too. Seems fumbling with rice when reloading would be kind of a pain. I hate rice anyway.