16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  English 16s
sbs470
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:43 pm  Reply with quote

I have scanned this forum fairly closely looking for English 16s.
Are there any English 16 gauge owners out there?

good shooting
sbs470
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:58 am  Reply with quote

Yes. I have a 16ga Greener DH-25 (tang safety), #1 gun of a pair, from the 1930's. Have owned a couple other Brit 16's, by Alex Martin and Charles Ingram.
sbs470
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:55 am  Reply with quote

hi larry brown
The way the forum reads I thought I was the only one with an English,Limey,British,Pommy,Brit gun.I may be a long way away but I ain't alone
good luck
sbs470
JCMorella
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:22 am  Reply with quote

sbs,

There are some of us with even weirder guns than those made in Great Britain or Germany.

How about a pre-war, French built Charlin sliding breech in 16ga, with 27" barrels choked .004 and .012. It's deadly accurate and weighs but 5lb, 13 oz.

JCM
sbs470
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:54 am  Reply with quote

Hi JC Morella
I didn't think English guns were weird at all and then there are some people who like German guns.
Your gun is a classic peice of the gunmakers art , it may be a little different but not weird.I bet it shoots well as do the other French sliding breech guns.
Your gun weighs the same as my Webley & Scott 700,5lb 12 oz
good shooting
sbs470
RWG
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:12 pm  Reply with quote

I shoot a 16 ga. English hammergun, amongst over gauges. My Osborne is a great gun, but no purdey. Russ
sbs470
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:14 am  Reply with quote

RWG
Its great to see another English 16 user . there is not to many of us out there. MY WEBLEY SCOTT is no Purdey but I do love using it .
On another track .I just got my 45/90 rem roller long range Creedmore rifle and I have named it after a friend of mine and her surname is Osborne
and the rifle is a B---h,but if I treat her right she preforms so well.

good shooting
sbs470
Sage-grouse Guy
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:05 am  Reply with quote

I have a Cashmore 16 ga. damascus sidelock, a dainty little nitro-proofed gun with a gorgeous piece of swirled walnut. It weighs 5 lb 6 oz.

I've used it for everything from gray partridge to wild pheasants and sharptails, handloading 7/8 oz to 1 oz loads of #5-7 for use over pointing dogs.

It was put together around 1925, though the barrels were made probably in the late 1800's and never fitted until the next century. It is the nicest gun I own, and probably the nicest I ever will!

Ben
Chukarman
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:46 pm  Reply with quote

I have and shoot a Joseph Harkom 16 gauge, rebarreled by Fred Buller of Hellis Beasley and Watson. It is London proofed for 1 oz. of shot and weighs 5 lbs. 9 ounces. Nice wood, too.

It's a good chukar gun.

C Man

sbs470
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:34 am  Reply with quote

Hi fellas
you guys are coming up with some really interesting guns from some of the great English makers,its a shame we can't get them all together for a shoot. I am sure most of the day would be taken up with show and tell and little time for shooting.As was amply demonstrated today at the Perth Big Game Rifle Club.Today we had our Westley Richards silver trophy shoot.A wonderful display of Westley Richards gun making skill in the form of double rifle,bolt action and others but there was a beautiful little shot gun there ,one of those other gauges ,a fourten.It has to be the prettiest little gun I have ever seen in my life .A drop lock boxlock ejector,only eight years old made for one of our members.Tastefully engraved with gold work on the action and a gold quail as the top lever superb wood and handles like a dream.I apologise for mentioning rifles on this forum and even another gauge other than our beloved 16 but this little Westley Richards fourten is such a beautiful gun and deserves to be mentioned.I will try to do an artical for the Double Gun Journal so every can see this little beauty
regards and good shooting

sbs470
LittleDoc
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:47 am  Reply with quote

Hello sbs470,

Here's another. I have a P Webley & Son back action hammer 16. It has been re-sleeved and weighs just under 6lbs. She is a fine piece of work and I wouldn't part with her. I'm also glad to know I'm not the only one out there who gives treasured pieces feminine names. What game do you chase with yours down there?

Best,
LittleDoc
Bronco
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:20 am  Reply with quote

Chas. Smith and Sons, 16ga double. I was surprised on how much information on this maker was available on www.internetgunclub.com.
Joined the 16ga reloading forum here for access to data on low pressure loads. Waiting on the spread sheet. Bob
sbs470
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:39 pm  Reply with quote

Hi LittleDoc
Sounds like a nice gun.One of our members unearthed a pair of P Webleys recentley.

You ask what game I shoot at..Well its duck and quail naturally.Our own native species. Have a look on the web to see what duck and quail we have down here.California quail were introduced to Australia in the 1860s and have done quite well.
When I was a kid and first started shooting that Winchester 12 ga single Quail shooting was a touchy subject particuarly when Grandma arrived at the farm with her suit case in hand.Quail was her surname and I learnt pretty quickly to close my quail season and shift my attention to other things like rabbits ,ducks,hare.foxes ect whenever she was visiting,as my seasons ran pretty much all year round with the exception of Christmas day and Good Friday I could shoot as often as I liked but unfortunately I enforced a strict code of shooting ethics .Lack of finance.It was made quite clear to me early on if you want to shoot ,you buy the cartridges.That's the situation that turned me into a part time conservationist but when I was cashed up and had a full box of ICIL specials or Winchester superX in 4s naturally ,every critter within a 3 mile radius of the house was on red alert.I even shot a few fish with that gun.Europen Carp are an introduced species to Australia and are declared vermin.They are a preditor to our native fish stocks.They like to get into the shallow water and forage which exposes their back so it is quite easy to shoot them. I really had a good time growing up in rural Australia.

goog shooting
sbs470
LittleDoc
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:29 pm  Reply with quote

Hello Again sbs470,

Your growing up sounds a lot like mine. My dad was a physician in a small town in rural Oklahoma and an avid hunter and fisherman. He took good care of his patients many of whom were farmers and ranchers. The good will of these fine folk got him access to some excellent fishing and shooting and when I got old enough I was invited as well. Everywhere we went it was "Doc" & "LittleDoc" thus my username. But I went through that blood thirsty phase too and at middle age am not fully recovered. I saw an interesting piece about budgie shooting down under and was curious if you had tried it. My wife is a bird lover and we've had a budgie (parakeet in Okie speak) as well as several other parrots, so I kid her about going on a "budgie shoot" if I'm ever lucky enough to get down there.

Best regards,
LD
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:14 am  Reply with quote

sbs 470, we've been hearing about the race riots going on in your land. I have a well developed lack of trust for the mass media here in our country. I'd like to hear about it from someone there. Also, what is really going on with the Australian gun confiscation process we keep hearing about. I'd like an insider's perspective. Our NRA (and the American gun press in general)has a tendency to frequently overstate the case for their own reasons. On the other hand, the liberal American media gives a positive spin to any anti-gun issue. I'd like a glimpse of the reality you folks are facing. Thanks, 16GG