congratulations on obtaining your Webley Scott
that should make 15 english guns on this page

Now lets have some detail on the gun
Serial number
stock ? straight hand,Prince of Wales or Pistol grip
double or single trigger
fore end splinter or beavertail
does the stock have a recoil pad ?
do the barrels have a top rib extension, either a dolls head or for a screw grip

My Webley is a model 700 serial number 128321 made in 1957

good shooting
sbs470
ChopperGuy
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:37 am  Reply with quote

My Webley dates to the mid 1930s (#116---). Straight english stock at 14 7/8" to a 3/8" leather covered pad. Double triggers (all I shoot any more) and a HIDDEN third fastner. Not like any Webley I've ever seen before.

It came with the original leather case, missing the outside straps but otherwise in excellent condition.

I'd love to know about the person who originally ordered this gun as they put together something out of the ordinary for a Webley. It was reproofed at the Birmingham Proof House in 2004 when exported. Proof is 70 mm @ 1 oz - 900 bar. The original proof paper is a very handsome document. I'd never seen an original before this.

The Webley will be going with me to the UP SxS shoot next weekend. Probably shoot a few side events with it.

Good luck.

Mike
IDcut
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:26 pm  Reply with quote

Not knowing much about English shotguns, yet developing an interest in possibly purchasing a 16 at some point in time. Are there any issues any are aware of with some of the more obscure English makers that one needs to watch out for? I see on sites various makes I've never heard of.

Thanks,
CH
Brad6260
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:12 pm  Reply with quote

Given the specifis of this thread I am hoping for a bit of understanding and leeway to this reply as to why I did not place it in the Guns wanted section.

Like many of you I have fallen for these wonderful English classics and am searching for more. If anyone runs across any real nice quality English 16 SXS's hammer or non hammer guns I would greatly appreciate notification.

Had a blast shooting my 16 Westley Richards Hammer in the National Classic in Chicago a few weeks ago. They are such a ball to handle.

Thanks very much,

Brad

Brad6260@Insightbb.com
sbs470
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:51 am  Reply with quote

To IdCut
The gun trade in England ( UK ) was very competitive with all the NAME makers fought hard for their share of the market,and having a London address helped.

The Birmingham and provincal makers had to fight hard for their market share,to maintain that share they had to offer a quality product.Many of the small makers were family affairs with low overheads so they could offer a lower priced gun but if they produced junk word would soon get around that so and so's products were no good.
Many makers bought parts from suppliers that supplied the whole trade from John O groats to Lands End so two guns produced hundreds of miles apart would have the same parts and barrels.

They also had their own Quality checks in the form of
The Armourers Club 1891---1896
The Gunmakers Assoc 1896 ---1912
the Gun trade Assoc 1912---1962

The Worshipful Company of Gunmakers 1800--- 1991

As well as the London & Birmingham proof houses

to learn more about English gun makers I highly recommend you get the 2 volume set British Gunmakers by Nigel Browne .these books are just full of information.
good shooting
sbs470
AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:04 pm  Reply with quote

I am a fan of the English 16s.

I have these 16 gauge guns:

Gallyon, 28inch barrels, extractor, 5pounds 12ounces, proofed at 1 ounce, made 1931. The best shooting I every did while hunting wild quail was with this gun. Checkered butt

W&C Scott, 28" barrels, extractor, Damascus, 6pounds 4ouces, proofed at 1 ounce. 1897, beuatifu workmanship. Checkered butt.

Ebral Brothers , single shot hammer gun, 30" damascus barrel, extractor 4pounds 9ounces. Checkered butt.

Parker DHE 16 gauge, ejector, 28"steel barrels, 6 pounds 3 ounces. Skeleton butt plate.

E Kuntze (German) 16 gauge, ejector, 29.5" barrels, 5pounds 12 ounces.
Horn butt plate, Horn trigger guard. Beatiful game scene engraving.

The Gallyon is the lowest grade out of the double guns I listed but it is so fast and it fits me so good. I shoot skeet with it - 3/4 oz low pressure loads. I shoot 1 ounce of #8s at quail. I hate to brag but I am going to anyway. Hunting by myself over my two Brittays I knocked down 16 birds, put 15 in the bag, and fired 24 shells in November. It is so plain and so elegant.

I am a member of the 16 gauge reloaders group and can't recommend it enough. I got all the 16 gauge reloading support I needed to reload shells for Damascus guns. I do have a friend that has a wall thickness gauge and all my old guns are checked for wall thickness before I shoot them. The English just about hone the barrel away if the gun stays in England long enough.

Thanks!

Mike
ChopperGuy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:14 pm  Reply with quote

AmarilloMike is correct about wall thichness. The main saving grace is that before export the guns are mandated to the proof house.

That does not mean they haven't been honed again this side of the pond. Always insist on an inspection period and have a competent smith look over the shotgun prior to acceptance. If a seller hesitates on the inspection - walk, I mean RUN away from the deal. Seek out some one with a complete set of measuring instruments. My shooting partner has some really good tools and it's very enjoyable spending the time checking all parameters of a new gun, or even an old one if there is a single malt involved.

If you don't reload, low pressure rounds are available from several sources, thogh not cheap and 2 1/2" shells are generally not a problem. BTW Rst is again manufacturing and delivering shells.

Good luck,

Mike
sbs470
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:45 am  Reply with quote

jerseyGSP
welcome to the fold brother,another fine English gun.
What are the details of it.

good shooting
sbs470
Foursquare
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:29 am  Reply with quote

Recently acquired a very interesting G E Lewis 16. It's a BLExt from 1907 originally proved for 1 1/8 oz with 2 3/4 chambers. If it were a 12, you'd think it was meant as a pigeon gun, with POW grip, sideclips, and Greener CB.
The 28" barrels were nicely sleeved and reproved in '92. All in all, a damn nice shooter. I can't say what I paid for fear of being accused of stealing candy from a baby. Smile

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
sbs470
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:16 am  Reply with quote

G E Lewis was a great Birmingham maker,sounds like a great gun.Congratulations

I bought a English cartridge bag from the UK e/bay today to go with the Webley.I already had one for the 12 G and this for the 16 I'll get another for the 20 Thomas Bland.
If you are looking for an English style leather cartridge bag just type in cartridge bag on the UK e/bay and 120 of them will pop up

good shooting
sbs470
Canuck 10 bore
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:51 pm  Reply with quote

Another English 16 to add to the list. A Thomas Daintith of Warrington 16 sle, No. 2 of a pair that I purchased/stole about 30 years ago for $350.00. It has been my favourite pheasant gun for all those years and has accounted for over two hundred birds, On a trip last year to England I took it with me and had it re-nitro-proofed and also put it to good use on a walk-up grouse shoot. A joy to carry and use.
sbs470
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:19 am  Reply with quote

Hi Canuck 10 Bore
I can't find much at all about your guns maker.If there is a street address on the rib we may be able to get an approxamate date of manufacture.Somebody must have thought highly of the maker to have ordered a matched pair of guns from them.

to Four square
I saw a very pretty G E Lewis & sons gun today
A Jones underlever hammer gun in that other gauge,dolls head extension,
now here is the twist.the right barrel is a convential chocked barrel and the left has Lancester pattern invisable rifling. Nitro proofed 1 1/8 oz. sights are one standing and one folding 50 and 100 yds ,sadly the front sight is not original and the case is not very good but overall a nice gun.I mentioned this to a friend of mine and he recalls seeing one in 16 gauge about 25 years ago.

good shooting
sbs 470
carpe dm
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:50 am  Reply with quote

I have a nice Cogswell and Harrison 16ga BLE 16ga, and an Alex Martin (Scotland) BLE that is almost as nice. They are both 2 1/2" guns, of course, and I have set up a MEC to load for them. Both are beautiful and ballance well; I just wish they had a tad more drop in the stocks.

sbs470
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:32 am  Reply with quote

I have been remiss in not keeping the English list up to date
I hope I havent left anyones guns out of the list, if so please accept my most humble apology.

Webley & Scott, WW Greener, WW Greener, Charles Osborne, William Cashmore, Joseph Harkom, P Webley & Son, Charles Smith, Westley Richards, W & C Scott. E Gales & Son, William Powell & Sons John Dickson,
Henry Atkins, Webley & Scott, Gallyon & Sons, W & C Scott Ebrall Bros,
G E Lewis, Thomas Daintrith, Cogswell & Harrison, Alex Martin

It appears that we have guns from all the major gunmaking centres,London,Birmingham,Edinbougrh,Glascow,as well as makers from all over the UK. Great to see.
Are there anymore out there?

good shooting
sbs470
kray
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:19 am  Reply with quote

sbs470,

One more to add. I shoot pheasants and grouse in MN with a 16 bore greener.

28" IC IM, straight english stock, side safety (the location never bothered me... my thumb seems to sit right on it). The gun weighs a bit under 6 lbs and points very fast.

Last edited by kray on Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:37 pm; edited 2 times in total