16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  That vintage clothing look ...
fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:38 pm  Reply with quote

OK, I've stayed out of this thread up to now, but can't any longer. I agree with Baden on the elegant look of earlier American sportsmen. My preference is, say, 1900 to the 30's, but even up through the 50's those men knew what was proper in the field; just look at the adverstising art from those days. This was pre blue jeans and camo, of which there is neither in my hunting wardrobe.

My usual: 16" Maine hunting boots (with the pants tucked in) and heavy canvas trousers with suspenders. The ones I've worn for years came from Ralph Lauren (no horsies) and were bought on clearance at TJ Maxx. Add a plaid flannel shirt, and always, a bandanna around the neck, preferably green. Long johns under as necessary, and over it all, depending on the weather, an LL Bean hunting coat or an old Orvis vest. If you've seen the Remington Bullet Knife poster entitled "Time's a-wastin, Son", that's pretty much me.

The hat is another matter, and quite personal. I started with a Royal Stetson fedora, 60 or 70 years old now, that belonged to my father; it's since been retired. Followed that with an Irish tweed hat bought at Norm Thompson when they were awesome (that's be 35 or so years ago; are they still in business?). Lately it's been a Filson blaze orange ball cap, my concession, I guess, to modern days.

I'm not trying for any authentic period look, just stuff that looks and feels good and "right"; recently I wore the Stetson and traded the bandanna for a necktie. Felt good...

So Baden, I think you're spot on, and I'd stomp a cover with you anytime!

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:47 pm  Reply with quote

I agree with almost all fin. Except 1950's could hardly be described as "pre-blue jean". I think they were mining gold and silver in the 1890's wearing blue jeans!

Matt
rayb
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:48 pm  Reply with quote

Re; Orvis

a $25.00 handkerchief?

An imported $75. cotton shirt?

Did TR buy his stuff overseas? Shocked

The local farm store looks better all the time.

Oh well, its all inported now..

rayb

Birdswatter
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:19 pm  Reply with quote

Re: Orvis.......As I stated, it's not inexpensive. I'm not buying the stuff, just noticed it and threw it out there.....
fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:09 am  Reply with quote

CitoriFeather16 wrote:
I agree with almost all fin. Except 1950's could hardly be described as "pre-blue jean". I think they were mining gold and silver in the 1890's wearing blue jeans!

Matt

Oops; good point Very Happy !

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:23 am  Reply with quote

Some neat pics for examples of vintage wear on the 'Life is Good' album Cool
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery.fcgi?p=999&gid=17554609

budrichard
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:22 am  Reply with quote

The fellow hunting in the coat and tie was most likely the 'Country Doctor' getting away from his practise for a few moments. -Dick
clarkia
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:34 am  Reply with quote

This is filson's response to the gentlemen's shooting coat (albeit more clays than upland). Just ordered it. I'll be mad it there's no inside pocket that can hold my flask of single malt...
I may have to take up the old pipe again just to complete the look...

http://www.filson.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2372904&cp=2065674.2065689.2446003&parentPage=family
Bald Eagle
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:59 am  Reply with quote

That's easy, just put the shooting pad in the pocked in the proper shoulder and your flask in the other pocked in the other shoulder.

WARNING!!! Don't mount the shotgun on the wrong shoulder lest you burst the flask and go home smelling like single malt something.

Jim
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:02 am  Reply with quote

Wait a minute.....it's not good to smell like Single Malt !?!???
budrichard
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:46 am  Reply with quote

clarkia wrote:
This is filson's response to the gentlemen's shooting coat (albeit more clays than upland). Just ordered it. I'll be mad it there's no inside pocket that can hold my flask of single malt...
I may have to take up the old pipe again just to complete the look...

http://www.filson.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2372904&cp=2065674.2065689.2446003&parentPage=family

I looked at this coat previously. Let me know how you like the coat.

If you want serious outdoor fancy wear, Barbour makes some nice sport coats with a wind/moisture barrier that is for serious outdoor shooting. The weather in the Brit Aisles in wet and damp so the stuff is not for the Vintagers alone.
In terms of best designed and manufactured sport coats, Beretta makes some of the best if its made in Italy. Lately they are sourcing more and more production elsewhere. Sent back there SO10 coat because it has zippers which when open scratch guns(made in Romania) .
For the really high end, there are English manufactures but even their off the rack stuff is very expensive.-Dick
clarkia
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:33 am  Reply with quote

I'll let you know for sure about the coat Dick - it may be too constricting or not entirely functional in the field. Although Filson clothing does usuall hold up well- at least their hunting wool and waxed cotton.

I'm not one to go with the vintager look - trying a bit hard and contrived if you ask me and it seems that it's more about dressing up and impressing the folks at the range than taking an armed hike and getting dirty... to each their own i guess.

This jacket may or may not be as utilitarian as i want. we'll see. I'll definitely be dressing it "down" with jeans/field pants and hiking boots and trying to keep it real, but who am i kidding?
XVI'er
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:42 am  Reply with quote

Com'on, where's that reenactor spirit? Surely we have some folks that like to dress upin period gear. How about you buckskinners? Civil War reenactors?

Lawrence U
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:32 am  Reply with quote

War Between the States? Here is a photo from last years Tallassee Reenactment. I'm the fellow in the red pantaloons.

We portray the 165 NY Zouaves and one of our Federal Impressions.

Baden Powell
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:57 am  Reply with quote

Hmmm. Just checked the Filson Web site and it looks like they no longer make what I loosely term the Forester jacket. It is cut very much like their classic Mackinaw, but out of wool whipcord, not the heavy stuff. I thought it was one of their signature garments, but I seem to be mistaken.