16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Pheasant Medicine
gjw
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:18 pm  Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi all, this is just a fun post and would kind of like to get some opinions on what you all think about this combo for pheasants. Here goes:

1 1/8 #5 in the IC bbl (or Mod)

1 1/8 #4 in the Mod bbl (or Full)

To be honest, I've been shooting shooting GP 1 1/8 #5 in both bbls, but may want to try the above combo.

What do you think?

All the best!!!

Greg
brdhnt
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:31 am  Reply with quote

Greg,

Start ducking and dodging, you have whacked a hornet's nest big time! Laughing

The only time I go to 4's is for late season birds. Even then, they are 'specialty' loads for specific late season conditions.

We just had this discussion in the thread on 1 1/8 vs. 1 1/4 loads.

Pattern density can run a little thin with 1 1/8 oz. of # 4's unless you are carefully handloading them. The few factory 4's I have checked have run a little on the light side for both pellet count and weight. I know that on my MEC charge bar, the 1 1/8 bar throws about 135 pellets that weigh just over an ounce. With a carefully adjusted Universal bar, I get about 151 pellets that weigh right at 1 1/8. While developing my nickel late season loads, I tried both 1 1/8 and 1 1/4 ounce and got much better patterns for both distribution and density with the extra 1/8 ounce of # 4's. That gave me 165 pellets which performed much better on the pattern board and in the field.

Having said this, I'll throw a real monkey wrench in with one of those ballistic anomalies. One of the best performing pheasant loads I have ever tested were made by Federal the first year they marketed their 'Pheasants Forever' loads. They were 12 gauge, 1 1/8 ounce of copper plated #4's at 1400 FPS. I used those on a January hunt in Kansas and took 13 roosters with 13 shots. Only after that hunt did I get chance to pattern them and they gave great patterns with good center cores at all ranges from 25-50 yards. I believe that they were a buffered load. The later 1 1/4 oz. loads at the same speed with the same pellet have not performed as well and have actually had fewer pellets in the center core.

IME

TMB
________
Dilaudid Rehab Advice

Last edited by brdhnt on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:37 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for TMB for calling out Greg for stirring up the pot again... TMB mentioned the Pheasants Forever load was a buffered load but when you tried a similar reload with different results. I assuming that you did not go with the buffered material with your handload. If I going with a longer distance handload, I have used that material and have been very pleased. The only problem is significantly higher pressure but shouldn't be a problem if you're shooting a modern gun...

Take it easy...
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:50 am  Reply with quote

I've found the best medicine after a pheasant hunt is a shot of JD Black Label (or some George Dickle if you can find it) with a bit of branch water--ice optional. A couple doses eases out the aching feet and kinks like nothing else. Wink
sprocket
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:56 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
I've found the best medicine after a pheasant hunt is a shot of JD Black Label (or some George Dickle if you can find it) with a bit of branch water--ice optional. A couple doses eases out the aching feet and kinks like nothing else. Wink

:LOL: and here I was expecting an earful of 6 v 4, cage v wild talk again - best response ever!
brdhnt
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:04 pm  Reply with quote

Terry,

In my experience buffered handloads are not worth the pain of the assembly in the performance of the shell. I've never had a significant rise in pellet counts or density with buffering.

16gg - Well said! Very Happy - Perhaps that is the secret - to 'buffer' with branch water Smile

TMB
________
JUGALLETTE

Last edited by brdhnt on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total
TJC
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:13 pm  Reply with quote

As I said on the other board you asked this, I think you've got a good choice in what you are using. No need to change. Wink

gjw
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:17 pm  Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi all, I think you all are right, don't plan to switch - just curious

Thanks!!

Greg
TJC
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:47 pm  Reply with quote

gjw wrote:
Very Happy Hi all, I think you all are right, don't plan to switch - just curious

Thanks!!

Greg

Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

chorizo
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:49 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:

New arguement: I wouldn't drink George Dickle on a dare. (that is unless someone bought it for me) Makers Mark with ice, NO water. No such thing as strong drink, just weak people! Laughing Laughing

Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:37 pm  Reply with quote

chorizo,
I thought Idaho was more of a Wild Turkey area. Very Happy
Best,
Ron
Deckape
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:44 am  Reply with quote

chorizo wrote:
16gaugeguy wrote:

New arguement: I wouldn't drink George Dickle on a dare. (that is unless someone bought it for me) Makers Mark with ice, NO water. No such thing as strong drink, just weak people! Laughing Laughing

Good God, man! I cannot believe the heresies just pouring out of your mouth! Every southern gentleman knows that Tennessee whiskey is the superior product! It's the charcoal filtering the mellows out the nasty congeners which remain in Bourbon. And while Jack Daniel makes an excellent whiskey, George figured out that chilling the whiskey prior to the charcoal filtering results in a SUPERB whiskey!

Moreover, the folks in Tullahoma are wise enough to allow for the consumption of their fine product, while Lynchburg continues to live in the twixt and tween: You can make whiskey there, but you can't drink it there

All in all, George Dickel is probably the finest whiskey made in the Western hemisphere.

No brag, just fact.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:24 am  Reply with quote

Amen brother. I lived for a time on the western slope of the Blue Ridge in what is known as the Spring Valley area of Southwestern Virginia along the New River. From there, on a clear day, we could look west into Tennesee. (If I can't make it to heaven, then the mountains of Grayson County will do.)

I discovered Geoge Dickle there and have never even considered another bourbon as truely drinkable since. Smooth as a baby's bottom. No bourbon bite to get past.

Virginia Gentleman makes a nice mixer, and JD Rare is almost very good with a tad of ice and some pure mountain spring water (Remember--Spring Valley. We had one piped right into the house. The water in July was so cold and clean it would hurt your teeth.) However GD will go down a sip at a time straight without molesting my tonsils a bit. Works for me.

PS: The local 'shine could be darned good if you knew who made it. Best stuff in PJ I ever had. Talk about rocket fuel. The stuff could rival Ever Clear. We'd often mix up a big bowl at a Saturday night party or a good old fiddler's convention to start the launch sequence. Wow!!! Wink