16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Chokes for North Dakota
cvdawley
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:00 pm  Reply with quote

HI: I am going to ND pheasant hunting for the first time Nov 2 and will bring my Merkel Sixteen and citoi twelve ga superlight feather. Using Golden pheasant # 5 shot loads in the sixteen and super pheasant #6 in the twelve. I hear from the guys I am going with that the birds tend to be wild and shots long. I have a GSP that I will hunt for her second year. Any comment on chokes? Thanks, Charlie
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:14 pm  Reply with quote

I found my hunt in SDakota behind my lab was an adventure and a mod choke in my 16ga was fine. I was there in November and when I switched to a double barrel I found IC and MOD a good combination. I had to pass on some wild flushes but there were enough birds to shoot at in range. I shot some very old sure shot 1 1/4 oz. #6 in my 11-48 and old Winchester 1 1/8 oz. #5 in my Beretta SxS. There will probably be enough to pick your shots. Then again it will depend on to many factors to be certain about anything except you and your dog will have a great time. Your dog will be in more bird scent than ever and you will see a lot of birds.
Good trip,
Ron
mamohr686
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:08 pm  Reply with quote

Your best bet is going to be a modified choke. I wouldn't plan on very many close shots because there will be lots of roosters thinned out by november. Your going on one of my favorite weekends because deer opens the next friday on Nov 9th, so you won't have too many local hunters. Be prepared for snow and wind. It always blows in ND so your shots will be longer on high wind days. You might get lucky and hit it on an early snowfall when the birds get really confused and hold really tight, but don't count on it. I usually do really well in tree belts with cappers on the end or else hunting in larger groups so you always have posters on the end. The birds will be very heavy feathered so shoot #5 shot in the 16g and #4 shot in the 12g unless your using short length shells, you may have to drop each a shot size to get a decent pattern.

gjw
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:26 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Charlie, if I may offer my opinion on this, I may have some ideas for you (seeing how I live in ND). I have used my 16 with GP 1 1/8 #5 during past seasons, beginning to end (excellent load). The chokes I've used are IC/Mod. They have worked well. There are times I must admit I wished I had tighter chokes (IC/IM). I also use a 12ga in late season birds (Dec). And at times #4's depending on where I'm hunting and how the birds are acting and the winds (this you'll have to judge for yourself day to day).

In Nov the birds can be spooky or not. If you plan on hunting PLOTS, they will be spooky. On a side note the PLOTS this year are much better than last (we had rain this year) much better cover and more PLOTS also. If private land, all depends on how hard they have been hunted.

One area you may want to explore are WPA's. These areas are not really hunted to hard and offer alot of great cover. I hunt them alot late season. Down side is non-tox shot. These areas are often overlooked.

As to weather, wind yes, can't get away from it. A fact of life here. Cold, you bet, but I remember hunting deer on the opener (Nov) and it was 80 above out. Snow, who knows. We have had some mild winters as of late. I guess as far as weather goes....only God knows.

Bottom line in my experience. a 16ga choked IC/Mod will do the trick just fine. Just pick your shots. the GP load will work just fine also. Even with a GSP (thats what I have and hunt over). The birds may flush a bit out. You may want to take a 12 with a tad tighter chokes to cover all the bases.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions about hunting here, please let me know. Always happy to help.

Good Luck and I hope you enjoy our wonderful state!

All the best!!

Greg
gjw
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:30 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry, I forgot Embarassed , I would advise against #6 shot that time of year. Feathers are getting thicker. I'd go with 5's in open bbl and 4's in tight bbl. If you do hunt any WPA's go with #2 steel (the 1 1/8oz load will be just fine in steel).

Take care!!

Greg
brdhnt
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:46 pm  Reply with quote

Charlie,

Although I have not hunted North Dakota, I have experience with December and January birds in several states.

I would second all of the information posted so far. You should be fine with GP #5's in the 16 with the IC and Mod chokes. If it is a 30+ wind day you might want to go with the 12. On days like that I have had good luck with a IC/IM combo in an over and under and plated shot in 5's or 4's.

I agree with Greg. Forget the 6's. Even in a 12, you will not get the penetration and impact with 6's that you will get with 5's and if it is a day for the 12, it is NOT a day for 6's.

If you are a handloader, PM me and I'll send you a receipe for a great late season/windy day load.

Terry
________
California dispensaries

Last edited by brdhnt on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:27 pm  Reply with quote

I have hunted sharptails and Hungarians as well as ducks/geese in ND. I was using a 12 ga. then, but last year in South Dakota, north of Pierre I used a full choke 16 ga. Model 12 to kill most of the roosters I shot (About 8 out of 9). Shots were long enough that I didn't feel handicapped and I remember one shot where a rooster was angling toward me high and up to my left---wind was blowing hard and he was really sailing out there about 35-40 yards when I fired; the 1 1/8 oz. load of fives hit him in the front end and he was dead in the air in a cloud of feathers, but the wind took him a long way before he hit the plowed ground with a THUMP ! and he bounced once...one of those shots you remember that helps take you through the winter....

ermadear55
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:42 pm  Reply with quote

We are heading out there Nov 3rd. New BPS 16s with Modified Chokes and GP 5s. Can hardly wait! I truck out there and there are birds all over.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:53 pm  Reply with quote

I would still take my other chokes---better safe than sory Wink
ermadear55
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:59 pm  Reply with quote

We will. Good advice Smile
hunshatt
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:12 pm  Reply with quote

Oh sure, you can make it out west for ditch parots, but you can't make it east for the mytical grouse????? Wink

cvdawley
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks guys for all the responses. I cant wait to go. Six days of bird hunting ....heaven..Charlie
ermadear55
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:03 pm  Reply with quote

Hun,

Sorry, I had to jump at this opportunity. I may need a bit more time to readjust to civilain life but I am still counting on your invite. I've always loved the Northeast. Smile

Gary
birddog
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:28 am  Reply with quote

Charlie,
First let me me say good luck and have lots of fun. But on with the discussion, shoot the tube or choke you like best meaning which one you feel you do the best with. Nothing worse than doubting yourself. 30 yrs ago I had a buddy that shot a 30" full choke 12ga at everything all season long. Some birds we just had to walk by and chuckle cause there wasn't much left, but you never had to cover his side. Pattern your gun and make sure of point of impact, know where it shoots. Shoot with confidence, go to the club or range and fire away at some clay targets. Then give em heck!
Charlie, aka birddog